The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread

Old 03-24-2016, 03:04 PM
AGF Sponsor

Good thing that was your left hand. I'm assuming you are right handed. It would be quite a trial to slice between your fingers with your off hand. (Or was that your off hand)

I'll tell my worse CA disaster. I stupidly put my finger in a rag and used the rag to wipe up a small puddle of CA. Of course it wicked straight through and of course the rag provided enough surface area to catalyze a fast and HOT reaction. So I had a second degree burn on my finger tip, a rag glued to the blister underneath and the whole thing hurting like the mischief. I just trimmed the rag and left it in place as a sort of bandage.

Last edited by j. Kinnaird; 03-24-2016 at 05:19 PM.
Old 03-27-2016, 08:04 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by j. Kinnaird View Post
Good thing that was your left hand. I'm assuming you are right handed. It would be quite a trial to slice between your fingers with your off hand. (Or was that your off hand)

I'll tell my worse CA disaster. I stupidly put my finger in a rag and used the rag to wipe up a small puddle of CA. Of course it wicked straight through and of course the rag provided enough surface area to catalyze a fast and HOT reaction. So I had a second degree burn on my finger tip, a rag glued to the blister underneath and the whole thing hurting like the mischief. I just trimmed the rag and left it in place as a sort of bandage.
Yes, I am right handed but none the less I dislike doing surgery on my self with either hand I've had a few of those HOT and scary moments with CA and paper towels. It's certainly no fun for sure. I hope you and yours have a blessed Easter my friend.
Old 03-27-2016, 08:12 AM
AGF Sponsor

Here are a few more pics before we leave for church. Pore filling and staining the necks:

We used the greenest American Poplar we could find for the Olive inlays but they still weren't quite green enough so we added a bit more color to them:

Since ONE of us can see better than the other I enlisted the help of Adrianne to help poor ole' daddy
Old 03-27-2016, 08:31 AM
AGF Sponsor

I really enjoy the colors found in Poplar...beige to green, to sometimes even black. It's my wood of choice for cabinet faceframes. (Painted, that is)

Joel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim McKnight View Post
Here are a few more pics before we leave for church. Pore filling and staining the necks:

We used the greenest American Poplar we could find for the Olive inlays but they still weren't quite green enough so we added a bit more color to them:

Since ONE of us can see better than the other I enlisted the help of Adrianne to help poor ole' daddy

‘17 Two Hands Guitar Co.
0000/Auditorium, Sitka/Indonesian RW

‘93 Taylor 712 (I spent 20 years trying to convince the owner to sell me this guitar)

‘95 Taylor Limited Edition GAWS (I traded my Gibson J-200 for this guitar in ‘95)

TWO HANDS GUITARS

Last edited by M19; 03-28-2016 at 04:28 AM. Reason: religious promotion
Old 03-28-2016, 10:17 AM
AGF Sponsor

Gluing up the McTele body. The core is Honduran Mahogany and the faces are Olive wood and Curly Redwood:

I needed a different ultra high tech glue spreader than what I used previously and this rubber roller works perfectly:

I use small wooden toothpicks to align the faces to the core. This keeps the faces from moving during the vacuum clamping process:

Tapping the toothpicks down flush:

Into the vacuum clamping frame:

Just a quick glimpse of the top:
Old 03-28-2016, 10:21 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood Knot View Post
I really enjoy the colors found in Poplar...beige to green, to sometimes even black. It's my wood of choice for cabinet faceframes. (Painted, that is)

Joel
I thought painting wood was illegal? Poplar is one of those "imitator" woods that is oftentimes stained to look like other woods like Cherry, Walnut, Mahogany or even Ebony.
Old 03-28-2016, 10:53 AM

A Tele McKnight? Who are you, and what have you done with the real Tim McKnight! I'm enjoying this thread, at least the fun parts, and look forward to seeing the Olive/Redwood siblings as their gestation continues.

cotten
Old 03-29-2016, 09:31 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotten View Post
A Tele McKnight? Who are you, and what have you done with the real Tim McKnight! I'm enjoying this thread, at least the fun parts, and look forward to seeing the Olive/Redwood siblings as their gestation continues.

cotten
No fear John, the real guy is still here. I'm still FIRMLY entrenched in building acoustic guitars ... but ... just to set the record straight, I've not crossed over to the dark side, just dipping my toe in uncharted gray waters.
Old 03-29-2016, 10:18 AM
Charter Member

Smile Looking better and better!

A Tele is reasonable, especially as part of this dynamic duo!

But no pointy heavy metal electric guitars, OK? Haha...

Cheers

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 03-29-2016, 11:27 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars44me View Post
A But no pointy heavy metal electric guitars, OK?
My thoughts exactly!
Old 03-29-2016, 11:46 AM

That Tele is going to be mighty fine! You may have to start posting your builds on the TDPRI forum!
Old 03-30-2016, 08:36 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouieAtienza View Post
That Tele is going to be mighty fine! You may have to start posting your builds on the TDPRI forum!
Hi Louie,
Its been a new and enjoyable learning experience but I don't see myself building a lot of electrics. Its a bit out of my comfort zone but I do like a challenging project occasionally.
Old 03-30-2016, 12:46 PM
AGF Sponsor

Now that the solid body is glued up its time to head back to the drawing board... well not actually the drawing board from days gone by but rather to the new fangled PC and CAD software to model the body shape which will become the McTele prototype.

After the body shape and all appropriate holes and pockets have been rendered in CAD software I send the file to the CAM software which takes the visual image from CAD and converts it to machine language that the CNC Router can interpolate:

Next the body is flipped to cut the top side:

And 2 seconds later out pops a guitar body, just like on TV.

At the end of the day, all that's left to do is vacuum up the dust.
Old 03-30-2016, 01:23 PM
AGF Sponsor

Very cool Tim
Old 04-01-2016, 10:45 AM
AGF Sponsor

Sometimes things just don't go as well as you've planned. We wanted to use curly walnut binding on the electric to match the acoustic build but the wood was just too stubborn to comply:

It would get to about right here:

And then SNAP

Even this guy was no help:

Frustration was setting in BIG TIME! I made the binding thinner, as thin as I could and it still snapped. I soaked it over night in Super Soft II and still no luck. Sometimes its just best to just take your lumps and humbly move in another direction:

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop