The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 02-03-2019, 07:38 PM

Hard to believe it's been so long since an update! I've had this guitar for over 4mths now, and I still grin like a fool every time I look at the guitar, or any time I look at the photos of the build. Such a surreal experience, that I'm still looking forward to any opportunity to get me back into the workshop for another build. Did someone say this stuff is addictive??!!

The guitar lives in its case whenever it's not in my hands, and with the D'Addario Hydrapak used continually, I'm hoping I'm providing it with the best care possible.

Unfortunately, my other guitars are packed away in their cases barely seeing the light of day anymore. I don't believe they have any true value moneywise, so I'll just keep hold of them until I have no choice but to move them on.

I didn't actually plan for this build to be my go-to every day player, but it is light years ahead of any other guitar I have played in sound quality, that I can't bare to use anything else! I almost had to fight my mate to get it back off him the other night during a jam session and my Dad is too scared to play it!! As a result of this continual playing out and about, it has received a few marks and battle scars. Nothing major mind you, and you really need to be looking for them to know they are there, but I probably spend too much time looking at it that I notice them all.

The Fishman Matrix Infinity Mic Blend pickup sounds amazing plugged in, and I continually hear comments about it's sound from audience members.

Probably the best comment I have received was from a friend who asked me about my experience doing the course, and before I could actually say anything, he stopped me and said "You don't need to say anything more, I can tell just from looking at your reaction and the look in your eyes what this has meant to you!!!"

The guitar got it's biggest workout yesterday when I performed at a local market. It's not very often that I play more than a half hour set at most of the places I perform, however this was a 2 hour spot. I've been building up my repertoire over the last couple of years, and this was a real test to see if I could hack it for starters, but also that I have enough material to keep people engaged. One issue I have is that the songs I play don't tend to be the big hits from the artists I enjoy, but could be classed more as B tracks. These songs have more impact on me than the other songs from a particular artist. I'm working on the more mainstream songs now, but I don't want to be just another standard cookie cutter pub/bar singer singing the same songs everyone else does.

My playout setup includes my new Boss Acoustic Singer Pro amp, and a Shure SM58 microphone, and from all reports, it came over great. The place where the market is located is semi indoors, but it has great acoustics. I didn't have my master volume up anymore than half, and people were telling me it was clear in any part of the hall, without being intrusive on conversations etc.

One negative, I am very stiff and sore around my body today. Standing on some thin carpet on cement floors for 2hrs with the guitar on its strap certainly takes it's toll. Might have to invest in a stool for these longer gigs.

I've put my name down for more gigs in the area, and hopefully I'll start performing regularly, time will tell.

So, what about the next guitar build, I hear you ask??!!
In an unfortunate turn of events, I may have another opportunity in the next year or so to do another build. My father in law passed away in early December, and while we need to wait for a number of things to clear up, there could well be a new build with the name Jack, or his nickname Redeye, on the headstock.

To put you out of your misery, or, depending on tastes in music, I may be creating some misery for you, here is my latest facebook recording of me singing with my guitar.
This is my cover of Jamey Johnsons "In Colour"
https://www.facebook.com/daniel.quai...user_video_tab

Thanks again for following along!!
2022 Yamaha SLG200S Silent Guitar
Old 02-04-2019, 03:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zandit75 View Post
.....So, what about the next guitar build, I hear you ask??!!....
I bet you're already thinking about body shapes and woods!

Thanks for the update Dan.

Col
Old 02-04-2019, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colins View Post
I bet you're already thinking about body shapes and woods!

Thanks for the update Dan.

Col
Whatever gave you that idea Col??!!
Old 04-01-2020, 08:03 PM

Wow, can't believe it's been a year since this post was commented on!!
It's now been 18mths since my guitar was built, so I feel it proper to share another video with you all.
This is a cover of Shane Nicholson's "Second Hand Man"
https://www.facebook.com/daniel.quai...user_video_tab

What's been happening with me? Well, right now, because of business slowing down, and nothing social happening, I've been re-visiting this thread to check out what now seems like a long ago memory!!!

The last 12mths has seen a massive increase in the amount of gigs I've been playing at.

In my previous update, I had just played my first 2hr gig. That has now grown to many 3hr+ gigs at local markets, resaurants, and cafes. Charity events everywhere that I have put my hand up for as well.

The start of this year(and still going now!) has been so hectic with extreme events happening here in Australia, catastrophic bushfires, followed by floods, then the toiletpaper panic, and Covid19 lockdown. What will April have in store for us??!!

On the next guitar build front, obviously nothing will be happening anytime soon, but if I happen to go through Aaron Fenech again, it won't be in the same format as what I did 18mths ago. Aaron's brand of Fenech guitars has taken off monumentally, and he now has two or three emplyees helping him build his guitars for distribution around the world.
As a result, the two week course I attended doesn't exist anymore, but he is offering the "Fenech Guitars Workshop Experience" where you go in for a week, and work side-by-side with the Fenech crew and assist with building your own Fenech branded guitar.
https://fenechguitars.com.au/guitar-...ol-gold-coast/

It's not the same as being the one building your own guitar from the timbers you'e selected, and I'm not sure what "creative control" you have over the build, but I have sampled a lot of his guitars, and they are certainly extremely high quality, and I doubt there would be any of the miniscule mistakes that a rank beginner would include in their builds!

Anyway, thanks for checking in, and following along. See you out there again soon......I hope!!
Old 04-02-2020, 12:45 AM
Charter Member

With all of Australia in lockdown you will have more time to play the guitar at home, but a pity about the gigs drying up.

For any US person considering a guitar by Fenech or other Aussie builder. Our dollar is at a massive low relative to yours at present. Great time to buy from Australia!
Old 04-02-2020, 10:06 AM
Charter Member

Nice job with the video, Daniel--thanks for sharing it!
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 04-05-2020, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colins View Post
With all of Australia in lockdown you will have more time to play the guitar at home, but a pity about the gigs drying up.

For any US person considering a guitar by Fenech or other Aussie builder. Our dollar is at a massive low relative to yours at present. Great time to buy from Australia!
Yep, and yet apart from rehearsal prior to going live on Facebook, I've barely touched it over the last week or so!!
Go figure!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemoman View Post
Nice job with the video, Daniel--thanks for sharing it!
Thanks for that Nemoman!! Most appreciated!!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop