The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 04-04-2020, 05:19 PM

Default Another Teja Gerken/Doug Young Social Distancing Video

Doug and I have been having fun making more videos of the tunes from our new duets album, and since we still can't be in the same place, we're exploring more ways of doing them separately. Here's Doug's tune "Autumn Roads" (which opens the CD), with him playing in his living room in Mountain View, while I'm in my living room in Fairfax. I'm playing my Mario DeSio baritone, Doug is playing a Kent Hamblin. Here we go:

Teja Gerken
www.tejagerken.com
www.tejaanddougguitar.com
https://tejaanddougguitar.bandcamp.com/
Old 04-05-2020, 08:59 AM

That’s excellent. It’s such a beautiful melody. I love the deep, sonorous bass of the baritone guitar.
Christian
Old 04-05-2020, 10:47 AM

Oh, that was just beautiful!!! I don't know how you guys technically do it from a distance, but what you've created is really sublime....and thank you!
Wonderful tune.......I may have to order that CD!
The tone on the Kent Hamblin guitar confirms the "suspicions" I've had over the years. Killer!!
Thanks,
Fred
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 04-05-2020, 11:22 AM

Love it, Teja.

My I ask, were you playing together or one recorded and then the other played to that recording? If the former, did you use something like Jamkazam?
Old 04-05-2020, 11:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandguitar View Post
Oh, that was just beautiful!!! I don't know how you guys technically do it from a distance, but what you've created is really sublime....and thank you!
Wonderful tune.......I may have to order that CD!
The tone on the Kent Hamblin guitar confirms the "suspicions" I've had over the years. Killer!!
Thanks,
Fred
Thanks! I've been really happy with the Hamblin ever since I got it, but more so lately. Its always sounded good, but it's now 19 years old, and seemed to just make a leap in the last year or so.
Old 04-05-2020, 12:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukulele_Eddie View Post
Love it, Teja.

My I ask, were you playing together or one recorded and then the other played to that recording? If the former, did you use something like Jamkazam?
Right, we overdubbed. I'd like to try JamKazam, but the reality is that there's always going to be latency on the internet that makes it pretty impractical to play together at the same time. There's going to be a delay both directions. It may be possible to get it good enough to be satisfying for jamming or lessons, but I can't imagine it would be acceptable for a recording.

All we've been doing for this is one of us shoots his part, then the other one plays and records while listening in earbuds to the first player. Then I sync the 2 videos and mix/edit, etc. For the CD, we recorded most of it together in the same room, usually playing at the same time. There are some tunes where we'll probably never be able to create a video like this, because we rely in interaction, swap parts back and forth and so. But this tune is an example where I can play my part completely alone - I also play it as a solo piece, then Teja added his part from his house.
Old 04-05-2020, 10:21 PM
Charter Member

Great stuff. Thanks for sharing this.

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell