The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-05-2020, 04:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by $ongWriter View Post
I also assume you purchase the amount of insurance this way too..right? thanks
Don't bother. Designate only enough value to generate a Direct Signature required (< $1000). If your instrument is damaged with UPS or Fedex, the claim will automatically be denied anyway, regardless of the merits. Search for forum member 'Vancebo', he posted a couple threads about his 6 month saga to get reimbursed from UPS for a D-18MD whose case was cracked on return to the dealer. Nobody should have to deal with that.

With all the guitars in your sig, seriously, you should already have a Heritage policy. Covers shipping damage in full, theft, repairs from a luthier, and any loss of resale value after repair as long as the instrument is on the policy. And no having to deal with UPS/Fedex claim denial B.S..

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 04-05-2020, 04:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCCougar View Post
I guess this does happen, but I've shipped quite a few guitars using UPS, USPS, and FedEx. (I don't like FedEx either.) I've never had a damaged shipment. You do want to pack well. Sometimes I double-box. I've also received quite a few shipped guitars. Never had a problem there either.
Yes, shipping with UPS, USPS, and FedEx is great until something goes wrong. Then claims are automatically denied. The more expensive the item, the harder it is to get paid. I haven’t had problems with guitars, but we’ve seen enough threads on this forum to know it happens. And there has been good advice so far, including using Heritage.

Whenever I buy a guitar or any equipment, it gets immediately added as a listed item to my renters insurance policy, and is covered anywhere for theft, damage, etc. If I ever made more than $5,000 a year from music, that coverage wouldn’t be available, and I’d switch to Heritage.

We have a family business that sells crystals and minerals (treasurecrystals.com.) Anything that can’t fit in a USPS flat rate box with lots of padding goes by UPS. We bubble wrap the piece, and take it to the local UPS store that has the Pack and Ship Guarantee. It costs more, but that’s basically for the packing, and it saves us time and materials. The biggest benefit is that if anything gets damaged, the store is responsible, and you get paid right away with no hassle. Previously we had some very expensive pieces get damaged by UPS and the USPS. Utterly destroyed, despite being overpacked, and needing many calls and threats of legal action to get paid. So now we just include the UPS pack and ship charge in the items price. The peace of mind is well worth the extra $$$, and clients have been fine with the cost.

If someone has had experience with Reverb's shipping and insurance coverage from a damage claim, it would be great to hear how it works.
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class
Old 04-05-2020, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brencat View Post
With all the guitars in your sig, seriously, you should already have a Heritage policy. Covers shipping damage in full, theft, repairs from a luthier, and any loss of resale value after repair as long as the instrument is on the policy. And no having to deal with UPS/Fedex claim denial B.S..
You can say that again! Practice selling and shipping the smaller and cheaper ones first on Reverb. You could try selling locally on Facebook or Craigslist too when the pandemic winds down.
Old 04-05-2020, 07:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brencat View Post
Don't bother. Designate only enough value to generate a Direct Signature required (< $1000). If your instrument is damaged with UPS or Fedex, the claim will automatically be denied anyway, regardless of the merits. Search for forum member 'Vancebo', he posted a couple threads about his 6 month saga to get reimbursed from UPS for a D-18MD whose case was cracked on return to the dealer. Nobody should have to deal with that.

I have a policy with Clarion. Never even asked if it covers shipping when I sell an instrument. huh...thanks
Old 04-06-2020, 06:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by $ongWriter View Post
I have a policy with Clarion. Never even asked if it covers shipping when I sell an instrument. huh...thanks
A lot of places don't cover it. Anderson insurance doesn't. It's the reason I'll be switching to Heritage when my policy expires in June.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion