The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars

Closed Thread

Old 04-01-2020, 04:35 PM

Default 2012 Collings 01 Walnut/Engelmann

Hi all, thanks for looking

Up for sale or trade is a beautiful Collings 01 with a Walnut Back/sides and Engelmann spruce top. I purchased this back in December when I was looking for something drastically different than my main guitar which is a small body hog top. I just didn't want my sounds to overlap and this 100% fit the bill.

People often say that walnut can be characterized as sounding somewhere between Mahogany and Rosewood and I can attest that this little guy fits that description. It has some of the bloom and overtones of rosewood but some of the forward woody sounds of mahogany, and this happens to be a pretty straight grained modest example. The Engelmann top is equally fantastic and can definitely be characterized as a "softer" top but nowhere in the realm of cedar for example. It reminds my a a nicely broken in sitka personally. It's a very intimate sounding articulate guitar with surprising volume and fullness. It's a truly fantastic guitar but I just don't find myself playing it much as my Bourgeois L-DBO is more my style. My wife prefers the Collings but I digress...

Only issues are some minor finish scratching on the back which I attempted to photograph, the top appears to be pretty flawless aside from normal pickguard swirls. The frets are in fantastic shape, the nut was clearly lowered by the previous owner just a touch and it plays like absolute butter, really. When I call this intimate and articulate, I'm not kidding. It's definitely not fair to call the 01 a couch guitar by any means, it has some impressive volume and depth to it.

Specs I'm not 100% on as I bought it used, as I believe the previous owner did too but it's certainly a short scale and I can attest that the nut is 1.75" as measured by my calipers. Anything else I can make an educated guess on as I'm fairy sure outside of the wood selection that it was built as a standard Collings 01

Selling Price is $3700 Paypal Friends or buyer covers the fees. Shipping we can talk about based on location as I'm on the Westcoast and it all depends. I really would prefer a trade as we won't have to deal with paypal though. Trades that would interest me are anything small bodied especially Santa Cruz Guitar Co or another Collings or Bourgeois but mahogany. If you happened to have a Santa Cruz 1929 00 I would be happy to trade or add cash depending on condition.

Please PM with any questions, I'm happy to chat guitars. Thanks Again for looking

Dustin

Bourgeois L-DBO All Mahogany
Huss and Dalton TD-M Adi
Mule Brass Tricone

"If you dig it, do it. If you really dig it, do it twice” -Jim Croce

Last edited by DustyD; 04-01-2020 at 08:42 PM.
Old 04-02-2020, 12:00 PM

Bump, also I'm happy to do a short video or take more pictures if there's anything specific you'd be interested in

Huss and Dalton TD-M Adi
Mule Brass Tricone

Old 04-05-2020, 12:34 PM

Covid Bump for interest, would love a straight trade for something small and mahogany!

Huss and Dalton TD-M Adi
Mule Brass Tricone

Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars