The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-19-2019, 05:50 AM

Default anyone own and played a Gibson G 45

Looking for actual feedback and views on the new gibson budget line G series guitars from current owners.
Martin Custom Shop OO big leaf maple/alpine spruce
Old 08-19-2019, 11:19 AM
Charter Member

While I don't own one, I played the G45 Standard for about 15 minutes in a shop this past week. Really nice sounding, well balanced. I loved the neck, it is Taylor-like, string spacing was comfy too.
Old 08-19-2019, 11:52 AM
Charter Member

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=550580

Shocked at how good it is for how inexpensive it is. Really super quality and super sound to go with it. Might be the best bang for the buck out there right now.
Old 11-05-2019, 11:11 AM
Charter Member

The best praise I can offer is, having demo'd the G-45 for about three hours, that I might sell the J-15 I just bought and get a G-45 instead... in fact, I have one set a side for me.
Old 11-05-2019, 12:40 PM

Love mine. I have had it for almost two weeks now and play it everyday.
It is the most comfortable guitar I have ever played and sounds great to my ears. Not as boomy as a Martin and not as shimmery as a Taylor. To me it sits right in the middle of the two.
Old 11-05-2019, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawndn72 View Post
Love mine. I have had it for almost two weeks now and play it everyday.
It is the most comfortable guitar I have ever played and sounds great to my ears. Not as boomy as a Martin and not as shimmery as a Taylor. To me it sits right in the middle of the two.
High praise indeed. My son fancies one of these but we haven't seen one in a shop yet to try.

Pick on

Slim
2007 BSG GJ-27 12 string
2005 BSG J-27
2020 Regal RD-30M Resonator
1938 Dobro model unknown
2023 Michael Messer Fiddle Edge Dobro

Plus a Takamine and an old S.Yairi.
Old 11-05-2019, 12:51 PM

Only meaningful difference I can see to a J-45 Studio is the lack of scalloped bracing. I wonder how much difference that really makes?
Old 11-05-2019, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Slowhand View Post
The best praise I can offer is, having demo'd the G-45 for about three hours, that I might sell the J-15 I just bought and get a G-45 instead... in fact, I have one set a side for me.
This is also great to hear about the G-45. I played a second hand J-15 recently and I thought it was excellent. I didn't buy it as I'd just bought my J-29 two months or so earlier and was really happy with that but at the price it was on the hanger it was a great buy for someone. The cheaper price of the G-45 offers a great opportunity to have that Gibson sound for many more players.

Keep on truckin'

Slim
2007 BSG GJ-27 12 string
2005 BSG J-27
2020 Regal RD-30M Resonator
1938 Dobro model unknown
2023 Michael Messer Fiddle Edge Dobro

Plus a Takamine and an old S.Yairi.
Old 11-06-2019, 03:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphH View Post
Only meaningful difference I can see to a J-45 Studio is the lack of scalloped bracing. I wonder how much difference that really makes?
Edit: was just about to write complete nonsense (not for the first time).
Old 11-06-2019, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Slowhand View Post
I remember the recent thread you started on these that I had commented on.

Well I get it now!!!!! Had a chance today to play the G45 Studio and Standard. Wow wonderful instruments with a very balanced sound. I like a J-15 and a J-45 (sometimes too midrangey for me though). The G45 was like a cross pollination of the two. The Studio with gloss top and Richlite did sound a tad more articulate, could be just the individual instrument thing. That one had a primo top with tight straight grain and lots of cross silking . Both were great..............oh I really don’t need to be lusting after another guitar
Old 11-06-2019, 08:49 PM

My guitar teacher played mine last night and said it was the best New Gibson he had played in a long time. He loved it.
Old 11-07-2019, 10:35 AM
Charter Member

I just brought home a G-45 Studio on 14 days approval, to compare to the J-15. I'll probably ask my wife to sit in on a blind testing.

I know the G-45 is 'basic' and the J-15 a bit of a legend - it's clearly of superior build and tonally it's little more mellow and 'full' - but something keeps drawing me to the little G-45.

One is 5 years old with a deeper body, the other new and more compact - would you guys expect a solid walnut guitar to become more mellow and complex, tonally, with age?
Old 11-10-2019, 11:58 AM

Default Maturing

My J-15 walnut has opened up beautifully in just a year. It was not new to e however as I got it when it was already one year old but I have seen marked improvement in it.
Old 11-10-2019, 02:15 PM
Charter Member

I took the G-45 back. Not that it wasn't close, but the J-15 edged it with a more mellow, rounded, fuller, mature tone - as you might expect from a five year old, deeper-bodied guitar vs. a brand new one.

I'll be looking out for a used G-45 in a few years' time.
Old 11-10-2019, 08:50 PM

I've owned a G-45 Studio for about a month. I'm not sure how valuable my opinion is as I the only guitar I can compare it to is an inexpensive plywood JB Player, I don't play with anyone and don't frequent guitar shops so my knowledge is limited but I think this thing is great.

I'm not qualified to provide an in-depth or elaborate review, but it plays and sounds fantastic. The neck feels chunky but not uncomfortably so. The pick up isn't so hot but that's not the fault of the guitar. My only complaint is that the neck gets sticky after being played for a while. I am attributing that to a nitro finish that still hasn't cured and hoping it gets better in time.

So far no regrets.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion