The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-18-2019, 10:07 PM

Default How to let the guitar resonate

I have a 1995 Santa Cruz Vintage Artist. It was listed here although I grabbed it on Ebay and was shocked no one snapped it up here. It was special order instrument with a split headstock, rosewood back & sides, along with some other special features not normally found. It is very strong and has a beautiful string articulation and separation. The only issue is that it is so lightly braced and so resonant that playing it standing with a strap tends to diminish the bass response. That position seems to dampen the bass response. Are there any solutions to this problem? It has an Anthem SL installed FWIW. Is there a brace that would allow the back to resonate more? Any ideas or input would be helpful.

TIA
Old 08-18-2019, 10:20 PM

Tone Guard makes a cage for mandolins to prevent body contact with the back. I recall from long ago that there was a guitar model at one time, but haven't seen one personally in years.
https://sites.google.com/site/thetonegard/Home
https://www.elderly.com/collections/...dnought-guitar
Old 08-18-2019, 11:36 PM

Right. The Tone-Gards are common among serious mandolin players, because they definitely increase both volume and tone, but I’ve never seen any guitars equipped with the guitar version other than in photos.

But they’ll do what you need them to do, fender69.

Another option that you might consider is getting a John Pearse armrest for your guitar. These lift your forearm off the top and allow the top to vibrate to its fullest extent, increasing both the bass response and the lower midrange. I have John Pearse armrests on all of my flattop guitars, because they do exactly what they’re designed to do.

There’s a simple test you can try to see whether an armrest will help you achieve some of the tone you want: play a vigorous first position E chord with your forearm resting on the top. Then, while the chord is still ringing, lift your arm off the guitar.

With most guitars that have solid wood tops, you’ll immediately hear an increase in bass response and sometimes more volume, as well.

Full disclosure: I am an artist endorser for John Pearse strings and accessories, but I had Pearse armrests on all my guitars for many years before John decided to make me an endorser. I use them because they work, and work quite well.

Anyway, the armrests are a possibility for you, as is the Tone-Gard. The armrests will fit without any problems into the guitar’s case, but since I’ve never used a guitar Tone-Gard I can’t tell you whether the Tone-Gard will. (For what it’s worth, the mandolin Tone-Gards seem to fit into the mandolin’s case okay.)

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 08-19-2019, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
Right. The Tone-Gards are common among serious mandolin players, because they definitely increase both volume and tone, but I’ve never seen any guitars equipped with the guitar version other than in photos.

But they’ll do what you need them to do, fender69.

Another option that you might consider is getting a John Pearse armrest for your guitar. These lift your forearm off the top and allow the top to vibrate to its fullest extent, increasing both the bass response and the lower midrange. I have John Pearse armrests on all of my flattop guitars, because they do exactly what they’re designed to do.

There’s a simple test you can try to see whether an armrest will help you achieve some of the tone you want: play a vigorous first position E chord with your forearm resting on the top. Then, while the chord is still ringing, lift your arm off the guitar.

With most guitars that have solid wood tops, you’ll immediately hear an increase in bass response and sometimes more volume, as well.

Full disclosure: I am an artist endorser for John Pearse strings and accessories, but I had Pearse armrests on all my guitars for many years before John decided to make me an endorser. I use them because they work, and work quite well.

Anyway, the armrests are a possibility for you, as is the Tone-Gard. The armrests will fit without any problems into the guitar’s case, but since I’ve never used a guitar Tone-Gard I can’t tell you whether the Tone-Gard will. (For what it’s worth, the mandolin Tone-Gards seem to fit into the mandolin’s case okay.)

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
I am not a Pearse endorser and have used the armrests for years. They work.

They are especially good on small guitars.
Old 08-19-2019, 06:09 AM

Or you could sit and angle it so it touches only on the edges, which resonate very little. For maximum resonance, you want to keep air space behind the back. In general, the wider the expanse of wood, the greater the resonance. Edges and, to a lesser degree, the sides do not contribute as much.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 08-19-2019, 06:17 AM

I agree, sitting with proper position will get the best sound out of your instruments. I use the ErgoPlay guitar support and find it allows my guitars to resonate fully.

ErgoPlay Tappert Classical Guitar Support https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005QKNUOW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_5kPwDbAKNNQZX

Guitars:

1910's Larson/Stetson 1 size guitar
1920 Martin 1-28
1987 Martin Schoenberg Soloist
2006 Froggy Bottom H-12 Deluxe
2016 Froggy Bottom L Deluxe
2021 Blazer and Henkes 000-18 H
2015 Rainsong P12
2017 Probett Rocket III
2006 Sadowsky Semi Hollow
1993 Fender Stratocaster

Bass: 1993 Sadowsky NYC 5 String
Mandolin: Weber Bitterroot
Old 08-19-2019, 10:43 AM

So far as your concern about allowing the back to vibrate freely, that is one reason for the traditional classical guitar position. With the instrument supported on your left knee, the back isnt damped by any part of your body. I will second (or third) Wade’s recommendation of the John Pearce armrests. I put one on my classical and I could tell a difference.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion