The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-19-2016, 02:42 AM

Default Knobs and controls on guitar sides !!!!!

Is it just me or are chunks of plastic on the sides of guitars really ugly. Why oh why don't all guitar makers use sound hole controls?
Old 04-19-2016, 03:33 AM

Hi Mick !!!!!!!! Wow !!!! You get really exited about something every morning !!!!!!

and no, you are definitely not alone in thinking acoustic guitar makers should always tuck their knobs in !!!!!
Old 04-19-2016, 04:14 AM

Can you imagine a Les Paul without the 4 side knobs ..... would not a Les Paul !
The Pickers 43' Gibson LG-2, 09' Furch OM 32SM (custom) , 02' Martin J-40
The Beater 99' Cort Earth 100
What we do on weekends:
http://www.reverbnation.com/doubleshotprague
Old 04-19-2016, 04:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickthemiller View Post
Is it just me or are chunks of plastic on the sides of guitars really ugly. Why oh why don't all guitar makers use sound hole controls?
Do you mean those barn door monstrosities on acoustics, or electric guitars in general.

Obviously electric guitars are ugly things compared to acoustics.

"Electros" (I believe it is the term), - i.e. electric guitars made to look like acoustic guitars, are usually pretty ugly anyway.

BTW - is my curmudgeonly bias showing?
Old 04-19-2016, 04:40 AM
Guest4562

Have a barn door on my mid-2000s 714ce. Love it! Everything I need is right there and changing a battery is a snap. It's a real asset to gigging in my experience.
Old 04-19-2016, 05:11 AM

Default All those holes!

I suppose it's a neccesary evil if you're a gigging musician. For us everyday players, it's anything from an annoyance to a deal killer.

It seems as if manufacturers are finding new reasons to put holes in guitars. As an example, I give you the ES2. Not only do you have the control knobs and a big piece of plastic at the end block, but they've found an excuse to drill holes in the bridge now.

All deal killers for me, but, glad to hear I'm not alone in disliking them.
Old 04-19-2016, 05:47 AM

I think Taylor did a good job with there guitars. The small knobs are easy to get to and the battery box is in a great place.
Old 04-19-2016, 06:06 AM

I think it would be nice to have a PA system or acoustic amp with wireless controls where the barn door is....
Old 04-19-2016, 06:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTC Bernie View Post
I suppose it's a neccesary evil if you're a gigging musician. For us everyday players, it's anything from an annoyance to a deal killer.

It seems as if manufacturers are finding new reasons to put holes in guitars. As an example, I give you the ES2. Not only do you have the control knobs and a big piece of plastic at the end block, but they've found an excuse to drill holes in the bridge now.

All deal killers for me, but, glad to hear I'm not alone in disliking them.
I'm with you 100%. Those are all total deal breakers for me.

000-15 / GC7 / GA3-12 / SB2-C / SB2-Cp / AVC-11MHx / AC-240
Old 04-19-2016, 06:28 AM

I must admit I hate to see the lines of any acoustic guitar marred by pre-amp controls knobs and the like. I no longer play amplified acoustic, but when I did I used an external EQ and DI box if required.
These days, if I want to make lots of noise, I use an electric. And a good loud amp!
Old 04-19-2016, 06:52 AM

For all you Taylor lovers I believe they sell more guitars with the expression system than without, Martin's Auras/Performing Artists/Retros have been huge hits, and Takamine sells tons of acoustic electrics.

If you don't like on board electronics that's fine, everbody's opinion is right "for them", but these guitar are tools which may/may not suit individual players, but they do meet a need, acoustic stage guitars.

I have been a working/gigging musician for over 50 years, thousands of gigs in my life, bands and then solo the last 15 years, these guitars serve a purpose.

UP front, are they my personal first choice, no, much prefer a small cap condenser with a traditional acoustic, but when you can't use microphones they fit the need.

From 15 years of daily playing my plusses/minuses for on board electronics:

PLUS

Portability - all you need is a guitar and cord, no extra boxes/electronics

Convenience - the controls are "at hand", including tuners on some models, also nice if you're near sighted

Sound - if you have a decent model, the electronics can be very good and once set up close to plug and play

MINUS

Technology - a "big one", electronics improve every few years. Unless an upgrade path is offered in the same form factor, there will be a better version of that guitar in a few years, not helping re-sale value in my experience

Sound - while some of the top end systems are very good, none match a high end microphone

If you are a working musician they are a tool of the trade, justified when I was gigging heavy, otherwise IMHO they are not the best choice, and just add electronics when/if needed.

I never play my GPCPA1 unplugged, much prefer my traditional Martins, but it got the call most of the time when I was gigging, a tool for a purpose.

Suit your needs.............

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 04-19-2016, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickthemiller View Post
It is not just you -- I feel the same way.

I can recall trying to find a cut-away guitar a while back that DID NOT already have the slab of plastic already cut into the side -- nearly every instrument I could locate already had a electronic panel installed (not the electronics I wanted to install).

I actually wonder if there is a *cottage industry* waiting to be developed in the manufacture and sale of wooden patch-plates to cover the big hole if/when the electronics panel gets removed?
Old 04-19-2016, 07:20 AM
Guest4562

It was not love at first hearing when I installed the K&K in my HD-35, I had to warm up to it. However, I have learned to use it in concert with my PADI and a volume pedal to get the sound I need, and it has become my number 1.

I do, however, miss glancing down down and seeing where everything is set and knowing I can reach it on the fly.
Old 04-19-2016, 07:21 AM

I rarely even notice the three small knobs on my Taylor, let alone the three nearly invisible penetrations at the bridge for the ES2. Those in particular - never even crossed my mind as taking away from the beauty of the instrument.
Gibson J-30
Walden CO500 (camper)
Fender FSR BSB Telecaster
Old 04-19-2016, 07:25 AM

I've done my best to source great acoustic guitars that also have active electronics. If I can't plug it in to perform, then the guitar is less useful to me. The knobs come with the territory. If I were only playing for myself, I might have a different attitude.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion