The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-01-2012, 09:07 AM

Default Martin DCPA 4 Versus DCPA3

The PA3 is priced 800$ higher and I wonder if it's worth spending the extra bucks on the PA3. I've never tested these guitars plugged in and appriciate if anyone could comment on the sound and quality feel. I will eventually test them myself someday, but all tips and experience come in good hand
Old 01-01-2012, 09:18 AM

The PA 1-3 have the new Fishman F1 Aura electronics the 4 has the F1 Analog (no images).

I've been playing Auras since 2004, and traded my OMC-Aura against a GPCPA1, the difference in electronics is noticeable with the second generation.

I personally think the F1 Aura is worth having over the Analog, but between the 1-3, which all have the F1 Aura, the differences are mostly cosmetic and wood upgrades, I doubt plugged in there is much of a difference.

To me the choice between the 1-3 is budget and personal preference, but I do think blending the Aura image is a critical component even though very lightly used, for that alone I would not get the GPCPA4 but buy one of the Aura models.

Hope this helps, the new Auras do sound really good, with some dues you can dial in an excellent very natural sound.

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 01-01-2012, 09:47 AM

You should be able to get that Martin DCPA3 for about $1600. Check some price quotes from our sponsors. The awesome F1 Aura system and spruce/rosewood are a lot of bang for the buck.

The DCPA4 is simply in a different league which is the extremely competitive $1000 market and I don't know how it stacks up against the others.

Good luck!
Old 01-01-2012, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmyAddison View Post
The PA 1-3 have the new Fishman F1 Aura electronics the 4 has the F1 Analog (no images).

I've been playing Auras since 2004, and traded my OMC-Aura against a GPCPA1, the difference in electronics is noticeable with the second generation.

I personally think the F1 Aura is worth having over the Analog, but between the 1-3, which all have the F1 Aura, the differences are mostly cosmetic and wood upgrades, I doubt plugged in there is much of a difference.

To me the choice between the 1-3 is budget and personal preference, but I do think blending the Aura image is a critical component even though very lightly used, for that alone I would not get the GPCPA4 but buy one of the Aura models.

Hope this helps, the new Auras do sound really good, with some dues you can dial in an excellent very natural sound.
Thanx you very much for your reply. According to your info it seems like I'll buy the 3. I see that the Aura is a important and worth the extra money
Old 01-01-2012, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutantrock View Post
You should be able to get that Martin DCPA3 for about $1600. Check some price quotes from our sponsors. The awesome F1 Aura system and spruce/rosewood are a lot of bang for the buck.

The DCPA4 is simply in a different league which is the extremely competitive $1000 market and I don't know how it stacks up against the others.

Good luck!
Thanks for your answer. Seems like I'll be buying the DCPA3...
Old 01-01-2012, 05:11 PM

Of course, I'm biased because I own a DCPA-4 ... it has the simple Fishman analog electronics ... the main difference between the PA-4 and the PA-3 which has the advanced (and some say overly complicated) Aura electronics. The added cost to have basically the same guitar with Aura is fairly significant. You would need to decide for yourself how important you think the more sophisticated sound is ... I'd say that if you are into really exotic amplification and your budget will allow, go for the DCPA-3 and the Aura, but if you just need a really good stage-worthy acoustic/electric Martin, save the extra $600-$800 and go with the DCPA-4.

Hear my original music at: https://www.reverbnation.com/judsonhair
Old 01-01-2012, 05:30 PM

I purchased my DCPA3 over the analog version and couldn't be happier. You get what you pay for with electronics. If you intend to plug in a lot you will definitely appreciate the F1 over the old school analog pickup....
Old 08-22-2013, 12:09 PM

Are the electronics in the PA3 series considered to be "dual soruce"?? ... source , ie pickup plus mic???? .. or is that old school, and its all 'image-based" now.

Acoustic/Electric: 2013 TAYLOR 818E FIRST EDITION - 2013 EPIPHONE AJ220SCE - 2010 TAYLOR 214E
Electric: 2010 EPIPHONE SHERATON II - 2010 EPIPHONE 335 DOT - 2009 GODIN FREEWAY CLASSIC
Classical: 1970 ARIA AC-15 CLASSICAL - 1970 ARIA A551B CLASSICAL
Old 08-22-2013, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mediaman View Post
Are the electronics in the PA3 series considered to be "dual soruce"?? ... source , ie pickup plus mic???? .. or is that old school, and its all 'image-based" now.
It is dual source. The guitars (PA series 1 thru 3) have has both a UST and the Aura electronics, the UST has it's own EQ, and the images have EQ which can be saved individually for each image. These two sources can be blended from full saddle pickup to full Aura image, I use about 25% image, just enough to kill pickup quack.

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 08-22-2013, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackville View Post
Of course, I'm biased because I own a DCPA-4 ... it has the simple Fishman analog electronics ... the main difference between the PA-4 and the PA-3 which has the advanced (and some say overly complicated) Aura electronics. The added cost to have basically the same guitar with Aura is fairly significant. You would need to decide for yourself how important you think the more sophisticated sound is ... I'd say that if you are into really exotic amplification and your budget will allow, go for the DCPA-3 and the Aura, but if you just need a really good stage-worthy acoustic/electric Martin, save the extra $600-$800 and go with the DCPA-4.
Plus one on the above advice, and in case you don't know the DCPA3 is now discontinued so if you decide on it then you need to find one asap.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
cutaway, dcpa, mahogany, martin, rosewood