The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 10-23-2010, 08:34 PM

Check out ikciwon1 on you tube, he compares a lot of composite guitars, he's a pretty funny guy too.
Old 10-23-2010, 11:26 PM
Charter Member

I have a cargo which I'm delighted with as a bumper guitar.
I think carbon guitars are super, if you always play on your own. But....if you play a carbon with others who're playing wood instruments you'll really notice the differrence in your tones ,the carbon mids sound very different to a wood instrument. To me it's so apparent it makes it hard to continue playing .

Playing alone I'm fine with the tone, even like it. It may just be me, more than likely. I'd suggest really thinking about it or trying instruments if you play with others a lot.
Old 10-23-2010, 11:37 PM

Wood guitars all the way
Old 10-24-2010, 12:06 AM

Greetings, How exactly would a neck reset "kill" your Gibson. Spend away if you must, and as resident of the Evergreen State please buy a Rainsong to help our local economy. You probably own the guitar that you would be the most pleased with and a reset will likely give it a new lease on life.
Regards, Brian
Old 10-24-2010, 12:24 AM

Default Your new guitar is here . . .

From what you have described, I think your new guitar maybe here. Rainsong has developed a way of implementing an adjustable truss rod now so that last hurdle is over.

This review is from Acoustic Guitar Magazine and the most notable point is that he could not distinguish the sound from a fine wood guitar. The shape is very traditional. The carbon fiber weave is there but it is a new type and so is longitudinal, similar to wood in someways.

Zack Brown, David Wilcox and many other pros however, are not bothered playing "non-traditional" carbon fiber on stage. They like the sound and feel.

Check this review and video:
http://www.acguitar.com/article/defa...rticleid=26100
Old 10-24-2010, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aden View Post
Wood guitars all the way
Yeah, I know what y'sayin, I have quite a few but I dont think 1 carbon guitar amongst them would hurt,
btw, my cargo is on it's way over here and I'm looking forward to it.
Old 10-24-2010, 03:42 AM
Charter Member

surprised to hear it. the only one i played sounded beautiful, full and had plenty of bass, mids and treble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcloud View Post
I had a Blackbird Rider for a very short time. It had a horrible hollow/metalic tone. It is the only guitar I own/owned that disappointed me.

Scott
Old 10-24-2010, 04:11 AM
Charter Member

Played a Rainsong OM I loved. I love wood, but Carbon Fiber is certainly a great way to go...

Worry less about the guitars you want. Play the guitar you have more.
The answer will come, and it will not be what you expect.

A guitar is a tool, and a friend. But it is not the answer.

It is the beginning.

Current Guitars:

Taylor 716C Modified
Voyage-Air VAOM-04

CD: The Bayleys: From The Inside
CDBaby
Amazon
Also available from iTunes

Old 10-24-2010, 04:44 AM

The current issue of acoustic guitar magazine has the review of the new Rainsong, like said they said you could not distinguish it from a wood guitar. I understand the guys that love wood. My old 1967 J-45 is one of my favorites, but the Legacy goes everywhere without fear and very good as well. I agree with the mids being a little darker on the CA. You need to use very bright strings. Elixer 80/20s The J-45 loves straight PB Diadarro's always has.
Steve
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 10-24-2010, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patticake View Post
surprised to hear it. the only one i played sounded beautiful, full and had plenty of bass, mids and treble.
Patti

I had it in the Nylon String version; I have not tried the steel string models.

scott
Old 10-24-2010, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jturkiye View Post

This review is from Acoustic Guitar Magazine and the most notable point is that he could not distinguish the sound from a fine wood guitar.
The only problem with AGMagazine, is that they never dislike anything. I always feel like the reviewers have an edict to talk up any and all products. They are potential advertisers after all (and often, they are already buying advertising space.)

Ed
Old 10-24-2010, 08:21 AM

Default depends

I'd say ask yourself "why" you are looking at composite guitars in the first place. They have a certain amount of novelty but it comes with a cost. I was smitten by the carbon/resin guitars too. Some of them it is pretty easy to get over as their pricing gets you into some really nice "traditional" guitars. Are you wanting something to travel with or something without so much economical attachment that you will take it outside or take it camping? Personally, I was looking for something that would travel well, sounds good, and fit my cowboy chord, sometimes picking, style-I played a Taylor GS mini and ended up taking one home with me. I can purchase about 4 of them for what some of the carbon guitars are selling-and it comes with not a gig bag but a semi hard case.
Old 10-24-2010, 09:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe M View Post
I played a Rainsong this week at a local shop and was really impressed with the sound and playability. I'm not sure what model it was but it had a cutaway and electronics. Didn't plug it in, just played it acoustically, but it had a big, bold sound.
Amen to that. I recently purchased a Rainsong HS OM1100N2 from Tarpman and couldn't be more pleased. Great tone and playability-has truss rod should I feel the need for adjustment. No worry about humidity so it stays out of the case. It's Rainsong's smallest but has a really full sound. Great gig bag. Ted offers great pricing on these. Couldn't be more pleased.
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 10-24-2010, 10:07 AM

My $.02: I currently have a Martin D-35, which I treasure; had a D-40 Guild for 40 yrs (sorry I sold it); and also currently have a CA OX Raw and a RainSong H-DR1100N2.

The convenience and lack of care & feeding of the carbon fiber guitars is wonderful! They are out and constantly available, ride comfortably in my truck, vacation well, and don't mind the temperature & humidity changes we have in Michigan.

I have had the opportunity to try several cf guitars over the last year (MacNichol's Guitars "road trips") and found that I don't fully appreciate the shimmery sound of the many of them, but the CA OX has a different, more "woody" sound that I find satisfying. The hybrid RainSong dred has some fiberglass mixed in with the cf, which seems to result in a more traditional sound (that is the guitar model evaluated in the mentioned magazine article).

For playability (I fingerpick almost exclusively) the CA OX is the best playing guitar I've had. The D-35 and RainSong dred are very similar: both very good. The new "N2" neck from RainSong is much more to my liking than the the original version, which I found too thin.

I'm not getting rid of the D-35 by any means, but I certainly like the cf guitars I have. In fact, I have another cf guitar on order (from Blackbird) and am anxiously awaiting its arrival.

Having said that, for your own benefit and peace of mind, try to get one or two in your hands and give them a whirl. You might want to contact Michael at MacNichol's Guitars and sign up for one of the road trips: You get the guitar for a week basically for the cost of one-way shipping. It's a great way to try them out (except for a GC 30 miles away, I'm 2+ hrs from a decent guitar shop).

Hope this helps,

Ray
Old 10-24-2010, 10:36 AM

I also have a CA OX Raw that I got from LA Guitar Sales. It is a great guitar. Besides the durability, I am impressed with the sound. Some people complain about the price of carbon fiber guitars but mine was a steal to me. I dont think that I could find any guitar in the price range of the CA with as good of a tone, and one that could Just mycompete as a jack of all trades. It strums, fingerpicks, etc and competes with guitars at much more expensive prices. I have not tried the newer Rainsongs, however the other ones I have played have impressed me. The prices on those that I have seen seem like an exceptional value. People complain about prices but dont seem to be familiar with the time, care and quality of materials usd in these guitars. I think sometimes people see these as just plastic guitars that can be churned out in a factory anywhere. Just my two cents. I beleive that there is definitely a place for carbon fiber guitars as well as wooden ones- even though they they dont have that carbon fiber tone.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber