The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 07-07-2010, 09:23 AM

Default New Lower Priced Rainsong

Ashvin Coomar, president of Rainsong Graphite Guitars stopped by the store yesterday to show off a new budget model that will be released this fall. Based on their Hybrid model, the main difference will be the use of LR Baggs Stage Pro pickup instead of the more expensive Fishman Prefix Plus, (edit 7/24 all models will have the Fishman Prefix Plus) a Rainsong gig bag instead of an HSC, and instead of high gloss there is an all new satin finish which is just gorgeous. The first model will be the hugely popular WS but all sizes will eventually be available in this version. (edit 7/24 Rainsong added the OM to the Studioseries)
At this point the price has not been decided but look for a savings of hundreds off the already aggressively priced Hybrid models. Once I get the price I will post an ad in the AGF Marketplace and take orders of course but in the meantime anyone in the LA area is welcome to come by and check out the prototype Ashvin left with me.

Here are the specs and some more pictures

Of course the new budget oriented options will not be for everyone but I think this guitar will be an excellent option for those on the fence about a carbon guitar or the working musician on a budget. Either way it's nice to see Rainsong coming out with new stuff and as usual the AGF got the scoop.

Last edited by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales; 07-24-2010 at 08:14 AM.
Old 07-07-2010, 09:52 AM

Thanks for the heads up, Tarpman.
I am not very familiar with Rainsong guitar models but when I saw Hybrid I expected the guitar to have a wood body with carbon fiber top.
What makes it hybrid?
Christian
Old 07-07-2010, 10:27 AM

Are they ever going to make any short-scale models?
Taylor 2006 814ce Fall Limited, Sitka on MadRose
Voyage-Air 2011 VAOM-04
Two Guild Bluesbirds, sunburst twins, 1998 / 1999
Old 07-07-2010, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by birkenweg42 View Post
I am not very familiar with Rainsong guitar models but when I saw Hybrid I expected the guitar to have a wood body with carbon fiber top.
What makes it hybrid?
+1.

Old 07-07-2010, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by birkenweg42 View Post
What makes it hybrid?
Good question.

The new Hybrid models incorporate less expensive glass fibers along with the carbon fiber material in the body (the neck is still all carbon fiber) which allows Rainsong to shave about 20% off the price of the guitars. Except for the lack of the shark fret markers and Abalone rosette the look is identical to the standard models with gorgeous high gloss finish showing off the perfectly laid out carbon fiber. Electronics are the same premium Fishman Prefix Plus and all the guitars come with the adjustable N2 neck. Tonally the Hybrid models are very similar to the standard series except for perhaps a 2-5% loss in projection, and a slightly warmer tone.

The Hybrid models were introduced this January as a lower cost option to the standard models and have proven to be hugely popular. This new finish will allow Rainsong to offer us an even lower priced alternative that is still made right here in the USA.
Old 07-07-2010, 11:56 AM

Looks really interesting. There ought to be a good market for these.

Bill
Old 07-07-2010, 12:25 PM

Dear Santa,

Do you know Tarpman?

jay
Seagull
Old 07-07-2010, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayMack View Post
Dear Santa,

Do you know Tarpman?

jay
too funny.

BTW, no short scale in the works but I think we will be able to order these with and without electronics.
Old 07-07-2010, 03:35 PM
Charter Member

nice to see a lower priced rainsong will be available, but i still wish they'd make a smaller one. considering that every store that carried ca ran out of cargos days after the company went out of business, and all of them still have the bigger ca's in stock, you'd think rainsong would get the hint on what people are buying...
Old 07-07-2010, 04:24 PM

If there will be 雨歌 in the future I might eventually get one.
Old 07-07-2010, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patticake View Post
nice to see a lower priced rainsong will be available, but i still wish they'd make a smaller one. considering that every store that carried ca ran out of cargos days after the company went out of business, and all of them still have the bigger ca's in stock, you'd think rainsong would get the hint on what people are buying...
The OM1000 doesn't take up a whole lotta room...
Old 07-07-2010, 06:55 PM
Charter Member

neither do some of the ca's still around for sale.

the lower bout and scale are significantly bigger whether you want to travel or have a torn rotator cuff or other mobility issues, and i believe it's over an inch deeper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLS View Post
The OM1000 doesn't take up a whole lotta room...
Old 07-07-2010, 08:38 PM

I had a few traditional Rainsong guitars a few years ago (and I regret that I sold them) and two weeks ago I had the opportunity to play a new Rainsong Hybrid at my local guitar store (a WS Grand Auditorium model). I was very surprised because it sounded very good, I dare to say even better than the traditional more expensive models (warmer, more "woody").
If the new "Satin" hybrid guitars will cost even less (and if they will be available without electronics, for a further saving) I have a Rainsong Hybrid "satin" OM in my future.
Old 07-07-2010, 09:09 PM
Charter Member

Thumbs up

over on the MacNichol carbon acoustic forum, there is a Hybrid Rainsong out on "roadtrip". I'm in line for it soon. Lots of excellent feedback and nice things folks are saying about it. I dig the satin finish on this one, most definitely interested in one for a future axe.

Marty, at The Podium, gives the new hybrid Rainsongs a big thumbs up. Told me the fretwork is excellent and the guitar is light and very nice sound tone producing. Told me he plays them more and more each day and he can play pretty much anything in the store he would like.

thanks Tarpman for the notes
daryl
Old 07-08-2010, 08:38 AM

I had some time to play my prototype yesterday and A/B it against the high gloss H-WS and there is a subtle difference in tone. To my ear the thinner satin finish allows the top to move more freely so the satin just might be a bit more responsive. On the other hand the gloss just might have a slightly warmer tone. This was definitely the case with the three CA finishes but with Rainsong the difference is much more subtle.

One thing for sure, the satin finish feels great while playing seated. The finish has just enough "grab" to make it feel secure but it's not as rough as the CA RT finish was. I really like this finish and I will be lobbying to make it an option on all the guitars.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber