The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 06-27-2010, 11:48 AM

Default My New Emerald X-30

A really nice soundin' and playin' critter:

McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 06-27-2010, 12:19 PM

Very ... green.

I think you need to update your sig, Kramster. Way out of date, isn't it?

(You are the King of Carbon!)

gits: good and plenty
chops: snickers
Old 06-27-2010, 12:34 PM

Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 06-27-2010, 01:15 PM

I don't like CF/graphite used in this fashion but congrats. Perhaps I will change my views once I find one to try... but there aren't any here in local shops.
Old 06-27-2010, 01:55 PM

Didn't think I would like CF yrs ago as well. Now they are my stable staple. Still have some woods I like alot too.
Old 06-27-2010, 02:54 PM

I used to have an Emerald Opus x30 (or was it x10? Anyway, it was a 000 size). Loved it! Great couch guitar, very comfy to play and a nice conversation piece.
Christian
Old 07-18-2010, 08:30 AM

I preface this as I am NOT a fan of CF guitars. But Kramster invited me over to play a bunch of the Emerald guitars.

GREAT sounding guitars. The inventor has been working with carbon fiber for years (used to build boats), and has a ton of knowledge. Every bit of the design is thought out.

I have to get to Kramsters again for another test...still undecided on the plain CF top or the woody.

These pack up easily like my Yamaha Silent guitar and easily go in an overhead in an airplane. And of course, no worries about having to humidify. They are very comfy to play, you can take them anywhere, even camping. So, versatility, playability at a very nice price.

Phoenix Guitar Co. Custom Classical Guitar
Rainsong Shorty FLE
Pre Peavey Cargo
Old 07-18-2010, 08:31 AM

Very nice... Enjoy!
Old 07-18-2010, 09:48 AM

I had one of the first Emerald X 30 6/7 years ago, it was similar to the current model but with a different saddle and a different pick-up. The guitar had a great acoustic sound but, for some reason, it required quite an effort on my side to be played, i.e. playability was not excellent. I lowered the saddle, checked the neck relief, i.e. did everything it needed to be done to improve the playability, but still I was never comfortable and ended up selling it in E Bay.
However, I have often missed the great tone of the guitar. Potent warm and clear. In terms of sound, one of the best Emerald guitars.
If the new ones have a 3/4 neck (mine had a 11/16) I would consider it again.
Old 07-18-2010, 09:55 AM
Charter Member

Though I have never played an X30, nor seen one in "real life", I have played the X5 and the X10. Though the acoustic sound was not to my liking, they were quality instruments that played very nicely and the intonation was quite good. I would guess that, due to the larger size of the X30, the acoustic sound would be more to my liking.

By the way, in case I forgot to tell you, Mr K... Congrats, the photos are (as usual) excellent. You have a darn fine collection there.

Tony
Old 07-18-2010, 04:09 PM

Yes I also have a X 10 and although I like its sound I can guarantee you that the tone of the X 30 is WAY better ! The X 30's tone, as I remember it, is possibly one of the best tone of any carbon fiber guitar I have played, and I owned several CAs and Rainsong. The only carbon fiber guitar that can compete is, in my mind, the Rainsong Jumbo.
Old 07-18-2010, 06:06 PM

So you're the one who bought "big green". Alistar sent all his NAMM guitars to my store before his US trip so we had a few weeks with this guitar, very nice indeed. Congrats on yet another fine cabon guitar.
Old 07-19-2010, 08:53 AM
AGF Owner & Founder

Congratulations! I played a guitar that looked just like that at the Summer NAMM show in Nashville last month. Very impressed.

JR

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber