The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 09-10-2019, 04:40 PM
Charter Member

Default Which strings for a Emerald X7 nylon?

I just acquired a custom X7 nylon. It has a longer scale(25.5) than most X7s. Any opinions on which classical strings sound best on a CF guitar?
Thanks,
Tom
Old 09-10-2019, 04:58 PM

Ummmm.... Evan‽ Customer asking questions about nylons again.

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?
Old 09-10-2019, 06:37 PM
Guest 928

TR;

What sounds best is going to depend on your ear. There are a number of traditional string makers like D'Addario, Savarez and Augustine that offer a variety of acceptable strings in various tensions. I have continued to like the D'Addario strings and prefer the low tension strings.

But I've also liked other strings that have offered considerable variety in feel and sound. For example, the John Pearse Folk strings offer an interesting combination of steel and nylon that lends itself to blues and accentuated trebles.

Recently a forum member turned me on to the Aquila Chitarra Classica-Rubino strings. The strings are red and grey and I like the look. I also really like the sound--but that's now. I'll know better in a month or so if I should head back to D'Addario.

In short, it's all good. It comes down to what you want to hear and how you want to play. If you are coming from steel strings then you will probably like high tension strings. If you are a classical player my guess is you will prefer medium tension strings.

I've made a practice of trying new strings every time I change strings. Still haven't fixed on a favorite in part because they are all interesting.

There are a number of nylon players on this forum who are far more expert in nylon play and they may be able to give you more focus.

But first, you should note what guitar you commonly play, how you like to play, and what music you prefer. That will give every a better idea of strings for your guitar.

Congratulations, by the way, on your new acquisition.
Old 09-10-2019, 07:22 PM

Hi,
I like the Optima #6 24 Karat Gold Strings on the carbon fiber guitars.
Barb
Old 09-10-2019, 07:45 PM
Charter Member

Thank you EvanB and Barb1. I have some experience with nylon strings on more traditional/ wooden guitars. I don’t have this guitar in hand yet so haven’t formed an opinion on tonal leanings, etc.. I also like to test drive different sets of strings on my classical guitars with string changes as I have limited experience and still have not settled on one make.

I have a Journey OF660. It seemed the consensus amongst many owners on the forum was that a set of aluminum- bronze strings optimized the guitars tone and addressed some deficiencies that particular model was felt to have by some. The strings did sound better than what I had been using and so I was grateful for that suggestion/ information.
I was unsure if there was information like this “out there” that pertains to this particular model.
I am familiar with many of the strings listed but not that specific Aquila string or the Optima #6 24 Karat Gold strings.
Thanks for the suggestions. I will check them out.
Best,
Tom
Old 09-11-2019, 08:49 AM
Guest 928

TR;

I neglected to mention them, but Barb1 is right--the Optima gold strings are a cut above the norm. Alistair used the gold on my X17 thin-bodied, nylon string electric guitar; I was impressed enough to give them a run on the X10 acoustic nylon. The Optima is a very nice string, one you definitely should try.
Old 09-11-2019, 02:17 PM
Charter Member

I have a normal scale X7 Nylon Woody.

I have tried some of the aquilas optima gold, Martin magnifico Hannebach Gold and Knoblochs.

I have the Rubinos on my list to try.

I have the Hannebachs on there now they are good but my memory of the Optimas has them better by my preference. I was going to try the Optimas after this to see if that is still my opinion.

The Optimas do hold a lead in my head so far as the best and my understanding is they are the stock string from Emerald. The aquilas in particular had nice feel to me and a much cheaper price point and a good tone.
Old 09-12-2019, 02:24 PM

I have a 24.9" scale X7 nylon.

I did not get on well with the stock Optima gold strings. Their tension was higher than I am used to and they lacked brightness.
Maybe Optima silver in some lower tension variety might have worked for me, but after one bad experience with a brand I usually move on and don't look back.

I currently use and love Savarez 500ARJ.

But tell me... 25.5" scale? Where did the bridge end up on that small X7 body? Do you have any pictures?
I am asking this because mine already has its bridge quite close to the edge, which is generally not the optimal position for soundboard vibration.

And apologies to the regulars. I realize that this bridge position thing has become a big pet peeve of mine.
Rainsong Smokey SMH
Outdoor Guitalele
Taylor 522e 12-fret ✝
Gitane DG-560 nylon ✝
Alhambra 3C CW
Eastman AR910CE
Recording King RM-991 tricone resonator
Recording King RK-G25 6-string banjo
Thomann Irish Bouzouki M1089
Old 09-14-2019, 08:52 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for the replies.
I have ordered multiple string sets and will test drive some of them on the X7 as well as my more traditional wooden classical guitars.
So this X7 nylon was a custom order( as I suppose all the nylons are?) and I am the second owner. I wondered about the scale so as well( thinking maybe it was a typo in the listing ) so upon arrival I measured it. It measures slightly longer than 25.5 to my eye. The bridge is closer to the end of the guitar than usually seen but unsure how it compares to the usual location. Apparently this instrument required a custom soft case and so maybe a different neck was used? Sorry I don’t have the answers.
Yes I have pictures, but I am uninitiated as to how to post them.

Edit: looking at a X7 demo on utube the bridge on my guitar does appear closer to the end of the body.
Old 09-14-2019, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRose View Post
Yes I have pictures, but I am uninitiated as to how to post them.

Edit: looking at a X7 demo on utube the bridge on my guitar does appear closer to the end of the body.
In order to post pictures you have to upload them somewhere first.

I don't know what people are using for that these days, since several popular sites which used to be free have become paid services lately.
Personally I use Dropbox, but that one requires a little trick for embedding images directly.

Anyway, in this post you can see pictures of my X7 Nylon: https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=532271
Rainsong Smokey SMH
Outdoor Guitalele
Taylor 522e 12-fret ✝
Gitane DG-560 nylon ✝
Alhambra 3C CW
Eastman AR910CE
Old 09-14-2019, 11:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainmaster View Post
In order to post pictures you have to upload them somewhere first.

I don't know what people are using for that these days, since several popular sites which used to be free have become paid services lately.
Personally I use Dropbox, but that one requires a little trick for embedding images directly.

Anyway, in this post you can see pictures of my X7 Nylon: https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=532271

Thanks.
Maybe my kids(12&14) can school me on the appropriate technology to get pictures posted [emoji28]
My bridge- which was custom made for ease of string change- does appear closer to the edge of the lower bout.

Your X7 is a beautiful guitar. How do you like it? Did you have it custom built?
Old 09-14-2019, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRose View Post
Your X7 is a beautiful guitar. How do you like it? Did you have it custom built?
Thanks. It was custom built, but I think every Emerald nylon guitar is. I did specifically ask for that 24.9" scale length.
Initially I had some setup issues, but once I lowered the action it quickly became my go-to guitar.

But hang on, I have only once seen a 25.5" scale X7 nylon. And you say you are the second owner... Your guitar wouldn't by any chance happen to be this one?

https://emeraldguitars.com/portfolio...ted-headstock/
Rainsong Smokey SMH
Outdoor Guitalele
Taylor 522e 12-fret ✝
Gitane DG-560 nylon ✝
Alhambra 3C CW
Eastman AR910CE
Old 09-22-2019, 06:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainmaster View Post
Thanks. It was custom built, but I think every Emerald nylon guitar is. I did specifically ask for that 24.9" scale length.
Initially I had some setup issues, but once I lowered the action it quickly became my go-to guitar.

But hang on, I have only once seen a 25.5" scale X7 nylon. And you say you are the second owner... Your guitar wouldn't by any chance happen to be this one?

https://emeraldguitars.com/portfolio...ted-headstock/

Sorry for the slow response. I missed this comment.

This is not the X7 that I purchased. Mine has no wood overlay- just straight carbon fiber- and has a solid head stock.
Old 09-22-2019, 08:50 AM
Charter Member

I have a long scale custom X10 that I'm about to try those John Pearse Folk hybrid strings on just to see what they are like. They are expensive so they will have to be something special in order to become the norm but I like what they proclaim to provide in theory, at least. I'll report back in a few days after I put them on.
Old 09-22-2019, 10:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
I have a long scale custom X10 that I'm about to try those John Pearse Folk hybrid strings on just to see what they are like. They are expensive so they will have to be something special in order to become the norm but I like what they proclaim to provide in theory, at least. I'll report back in a few days after I put them on.

I have also heard great things about the Pearce folk strings. I’m curious to read about your thoughts once you’ve tried them.
Thanks.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber