The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 09-10-2019, 03:15 PM
Charter Member

Default gotoh 510 machine heads

i've decided to change my taylor stock machine heads on my 714 ce with gotoh 510s. are there any that are a direct change out without any drilling more screw holes etc?
Old 09-12-2019, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyg67 View Post
i've decided to change my taylor stock machine heads on my 714 ce with gotoh 510s. are there any that are a direct change out without any drilling more screw holes etc?
I believe the standard full-size 510s will drop right in to that 714, if it came with the Ping tuners Taylor is using. Just to verify, try to check the Gotoh 510 diagrams & measurements on Stewmac against the tab pattern on yours, as the angle of that tab seems to be the biggest determining factor.
Taylor 412K ('96)
Yamaha LL16-12 (SOLD)
PRS 'Studio' (SOLD)
Rickenbacker 660-12 (SOLD)
Fender USA Deluxe Strat
Fender USA Roadhouse Strat
Fender MIM/USA Partscaster
Fender MIM Nashville Tele
Kelsey Custom Hardtail Strat
Fender MIM P-Bass
Old 09-13-2019, 01:30 AM

Default Standard Taylor tuners have no screw...

If your Taylor has their standard tuners then the housing is prevented from twisting by a little pin on the underside of the tuner casing which locates in a small hole drilled into the headstock.

The Gotoh 510s require the same diameter hole, 10mm, but you’ll also need to drill a small hole for the locating screw that these tuners use. The 510 tuner housing will cover the pin hole of the Taylor tuners.

I’d be surprised if you don’t prefer the 510s but you wouldn’t be able to swap back without revealing the Gotoh screw hole.

You’ll also need to decide how to align the tuners before drilling the holes. This can be harder than it sounds. Would suggest using a hand drill rather than power drill.
Old 09-13-2019, 12:38 PM

You will not be disappointed with 510's I'm doing a build with them right now, haven't even strung them up yet, but they will be my go-to tuner for the future just based on feel and look

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikpearson View Post
You’ll also need to decide how to align the tuners before drilling the holes. This can be harder than it sounds. Would suggest using a hand drill rather than power drill.
This is always an interesting problem, there's no square face on the tuner to align to. I tend to turn the tuners so the key is vertical, and then try to eyeball it with a small try-square. Within human error, any off-squareness isn't even noticeable.

This would be an interesting thread on its own, what are your strategies for doing this?
Old 09-14-2019, 04:06 PM

Default Have tried a variety of methods...

Still not worked out a consistent method for aligning machine heads and usually end up doing it by eye.

Have tried the following:

1) Lining the gear housing or plates in a straight line.

2) Keeping the button posts perpendicular to the edge of the headstock

3) Keeping the button posts parallel to each other.

4) Variations on the above

Also always check how the tuners look from the front and back of the headstock.
Old 09-20-2019, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by packocrayons View Post
You will not be disappointed with 510's I'm doing a build with them right now, haven't even strung them up yet, but they will be my go-to tuner for the future just based on feel and look
So, Gotoh is your Go-To?

Sorry, couldn't help it. I have Gotohs on two guitars, love 'em.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair