The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 09-09-2019, 12:19 PM

Good luck,Coffee. I’ve been a Trek enthusiast since 2003 when I graduated off steel framed Huffy mountain bikes. I’m more of a “commuter” type rider; I do packed trails, gravel and sometimes brave the pothole-laden shoulders of southwestern Pennsylvania. My current ride is a 2019 Trek Marlin 7 that’s probably a good go-anywhere-if-you-don’t-want-to-get-there-too-fast bike but I like the option of bunny hopping over the curb and going off road while not rattling my fillings loose. Translation: I like the fat tires and a suspension and the hydraulic disk brakes are nice to have when you get all muddy. I’ve got several hundred miles on it so far but honestly should have several thousand on it if I were a serious cyclist.

FWIW I just turned 50 and live in a hilly region so a hardtail is a nice thing to have. I avoid riding on roads whenever possible because I don’t trust the motorists to share the road with unpowered vehicles.

Edit: that being said, true mountain biking seems to be a young man’s game. Last year I went OTB and fractured my arm. I did it again today and managed to only injure my thumb. I don’t know if that’s an improvement!

Last edited by Neil K Walk; 09-09-2019 at 05:28 PM.
Old 09-09-2019, 12:38 PM

Fitness bikes are fine but have limitations (ie, takes more work to go long distances on them). If that's what you find works best for you, great, however, don't look past road bikes. Try out everything the store has. You may really appreciate the acceleration, handling, and speed of a road bike.
Old 09-09-2019, 12:52 PM
Charter Member

I ended up with what I believe is classified as an Endurance style road bike.
Although mine is a good bit out of budget I am guessing they make similar models closer to $1k

It is designed to be a little more upright in riding position
This model has a quasi suspension system in the handle bar down tube ( for less vibration) , As well as some flex in the seat attachment. It has disk braking But is still only 18 or so pounds

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 09-09-2019, 01:38 PM
Charter Member

Great stuff, always good to see someone jumping into cycling! Good suggestions above.

If your knees are well and truly shot, consider an e-bike. Not in your price range, but potentially worth it, depending on your situation.

My wife just got one and it's been a game-changer for her. She absolutely loves it.
Old 09-09-2019, 03:14 PM

A few months ago I picked up a 90’s Specialized Crossroads for super cheap that someone wanted out of their garage. Hadn’t been ridden in years and believe it or not it had the OEM tires on it. Like the bike, I too hadn’t ridden in years, 22 to be exact, so I thought I would try out a used bike before plunking down serious money on a new one.

Low and behold I love this thing! Sure, it’s not a high dollar bike and it doesn’t have the latest greatest of this or that, but for now it’s serving me very nicely. I walk one day and ride the next, and I’ve lost 35 pounds and feel so much better. I’ve bought new tires, mirrors, and a couple other gadgets so I’m still in this for not much money.

Whatever you decide upon, I’m pretty sure you’re gonna love it once you stay after it awhile. Oh, and living here in Florida nearly everyday is a bike day!
Old 09-09-2019, 05:21 PM

I had a Giant Rainier that I bought in 2000, and it served me well. It was starting to get a little long in the tooth so I'd been passively looking at replacing it for a year or two. Long story short, a month or so ago I stopped in a Giant dealer about an hour away when I was in town for work and they were closing out last year's models. They had a small size 2019 Escape 1 Disc on display for 30% off, and it turned out that they had one XL size left in the back. I'm 6'4", so I need a larger frame size than most. I wasn't planning on buying a bike that day, but at 30% off I couldn't say no!

It's a much better bike than my old Rainier was. With my old bike costing between $700-$800 back then I was expecting to spend around $1,200-$1,500 to get something comparable. Nope, I ended up spending a lot less and getting way more. Even at full price it would have been about the same money, not adjusting for inflation. I transferred my Adamo seat to my new bike and put some full fenders and a rear basket on it. It's very easy and enjoyable to ride, and so much smoother than my old bike. I should have done this years ago!

Getting the right frame size is important, but saddle choice can be as well. It took me at least 20 years to figure out that I could benefit from one of those weird looking saddle, but it makes a huge difference. And set it at the right height. Most people set their seat height too low, which makes riding much harder than it needs to be. The seat on my bike looks ridiculously high when it's just sitting there but it's perfect for me. I also like toe clips (the kind with straps), so my feet are always in the right place. Also so I can angle my toes down without my feet slipping off the pedals.

I think you'll be able to get a hell of a bike for under $1,000. Mine was almost half that (on sale) and I can't imagine anything much better.
Old 09-09-2019, 06:56 PM

Here are two favorites. It is really important to get the stats in the Trek video and see how the Flare works later in it. Both of these have good small parts support. Our Flare R and several of friends' have surpassed expectations commuting year round. It is hard to beat the Planet Bike 65 lumen light for the price. Planet Bike also has conventional replacement battery versions.

https://www.planetbike.com/store/sup...ail-light.html

Old 09-09-2019, 07:07 PM

I'm 61 and have two fairly modest bikes, a Norco for the cottage where there are some great rough trails and gravel roads, and a Schwinn for home where there are some great smooth trails and paved roads. In both cases I elected to have front forks with suspension, cushioned seat post, and gel seat cover. These things save my back, shoulders, and wrists which otherwise give me grief. Also to make my ride easier I insist on a water bottle and a carrier or sling bag.

The geometry of both bikes match, ie, same measurements from peddle to seat to handlebars so they ride very much alike. At the moment I have slightly narrower tires on the town bike (Schwinn) and knobbier tires on the cottage bike (Norco).

Don't forget your helmet.
Old 09-09-2019, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
Ha ha ha! That model in some of the photos looks like Andy Powers.

I've only ever owned one bicycle in my adult years (well, that's debatable, the adult part. ), a Raleigh Super Course TT that I bought in 1979. During the following years I did a bunch of upgrades, the first being getting rid of the sew-up tires and rims (1" Rigida rims), then some of the stock components (derailleurs, brakes, seat post, gear change levers (still on the down tube, though), Campagnolo Record hubs. It's still a great bike, but I have not ridden since the early '90s due to an injury. I do think about getting it CLA'd and get back to riding, but only on non-auto traffic paths.

To the OP, decide on whether you may do some off-road riding; a street bike really can't/shouldn't do that kind of stuff. But then, you probably won't have skinny racing tires on whatever you end up getting!
Old 09-09-2019, 08:09 PM
Charter Member

Craigslist! But it is good to use the local bike shop to get a good fit. My favorite form of exercise.
Old 09-10-2019, 04:53 PM

Default mountain bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooh View Post
I'm 61 and have two fairly modest bikes, a Norco for the cottage where there are some great rough trails and gravel roads, and a Schwinn for home where there are some great smooth trails and paved roads. In both cases I elected to have front forks with suspension, cushioned seat post, and gel seat cover. These things save my back, shoulders, and wrists which otherwise give me grief. Also to make my ride easier I insist on a water bottle and a carrier or sling bag.

The geometry of both bikes match, ie, same measurements from peddle to seat to handlebars so they ride very much alike. At the moment I have slightly narrower tires on the town bike (Schwinn) and knobbier tires on the cottage bike (Norco).

Don't forget your helmet.
I agree with Mooh. Wide comfortable seat and suspension will make the ride much more comfortable, which will make you want to ride the bike longer
Old 09-10-2019, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJN View Post
I agree with Mooh. Wide comfortable seat and suspension will make the ride much more comfortable, which will make you want to ride the bike longer
The thing to know about width is your sit bones and not necessarily a fat cushy seat. We're in an era such specialization that decent shops will have saddles for the width of your sit bones, and also some more flat or round. Once you build up a little fitness the fat cushy seats are more discomfort than comfort but them can be just the ticket for starting out.

You need to qualify suspension forks. Lots of moderately priced bikes have twisty and barely effective forks that add weight. Decent tires and widths will give you much comfort and control. Don't believe it? Many of those forks are sold much like cars once had vinyl covered roofs or fake air vents. Worthy suspension forks are $300 - $700+.

If suspension fork and Trek at moderate prices are still of interest, the nicer Dual Sport models are worth looking into.

Our OP should also remember the first times playing an acoustic guitar. Those fingers hurt. You'll need comparable time for the right seat, your hands, and right handling bike to really make sense.

I hope I'm not alone waiting to hear how CoffeeFan is doing, how much fun is being had, and about shedding those pounds.

Old 09-10-2019, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imwjl View Post
I hope I'm not alone waiting to hear how CoffeeFan is doing, how much fun is being had, and about shedding those pounds.

Oh, I'll be certain to share my results.

I'll probably buy in the next week or two; still doing some research. Trek and Specialized seem to be the two brands mentioned most often by people I've spoken to, and it's probably 3 to 1 in favor of Trek.

They're a quality bike in my price range, so odds are good...
Old 09-11-2019, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeFan View Post
Oh, I'll be certain to share my results.

I'll probably buy in the next week or two; still doing some research. Trek and Specialized seem to be the two brands mentioned most often by people I've spoken to, and it's probably 3 to 1 in favor of Trek.

They're a quality bike in my price range, so odds are good...
Very good. Those are leaders but I admit to some Trek bias even though I've had 3 nice Specialized bikes I really liked. When I've needed small parts or a warranty claim Trek stood out.

You might want to put Kona in your sights or on your radar. In your price point they have Dew models with the wonderful simplification of 1x 12 speed drive train and confidence inspiring tires. They still sell affordable steel frames with threaded bottom brackets.

Much like unexpectedly falling for a guitar, last year I was struck by one of their more upright do it all drop bar bikes with tires that are tremendous on and off road. My wife is equally passionate about popular Salsa model but they are beyond your budget and rather specialized. Salsa's sister brand Surly is known for great basic steel bikes. Salsa's Cross-Check and now their Bridge Club have been or are becoming favorites for what you describe.

Why the simplified drivetrain? The 1 gear in front and 10, 11 or 12 in back replicate or beat what you had when bikes got so popular decades ago or maybe when you were young. It's all most people need, lighter, and less to take care of.

Why steel? Steel is very serviceable and also known for a particular feel. As guitar players you could even say tone. Quality steel bikes can't be quite as light as recycled beer cans or plastic but close. They can't be made at as low a price point but you will not get stripped threads, creaking bottom brackets or cracked seat or chain stays as often as happens with aluminum.

A friend has a Surly with straight bars and frame bags much like my do it all Kona setup. I can't say I disliked my Trek FX series that was my former commuter bike but the steel bike with simple drivetrain has a something much like why I've loved rather basic but quality classic model guitars with classic wood choices.

My FX was the now discontinued SOHO series that came with rack and fenders - not exactly the FX, but what a FX is after you install a rack and fenders.

P.S. Sorry for the dirty bike pic. In 13 months it has been used year-round, on pavement, on dirt, in snow, for short trips, and for 6-7 hour rides. It absolutely grabbed me the way many love basic, do it all, steel bikes.

Old 09-11-2019, 12:36 PM

Some of these bicycles look rather heavy. What do these "urban" bikes weigh?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic