The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 09-05-2019, 03:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
Another thing I heard from a luthier friend is the ADJ bridge has a plywood bridgeplate on the underside of the top. Whereas a normal bridged Gibson would have a solid maple bridge plate. He recommends replacing the bridgeplate too. Then you get the complete tone that the non-ADJ guitars have.
I could be mistaken, but I believe that started a bit later in the 60s.
Seagull S6 GT
Old 09-05-2019, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles Tauber View Post
Removing the bridge plate, installing a new one, making a new bridge and saddle and setting up, as shown on Frank's page to which you linked, is likely to be considerably more than the $250 range that Wade suggested. I'd estimate it twice that.
Thanks for chiming in, Charles. As I mentioned, this isnít work Iíve ever needed to have done, so my cost estimation was pure speculation!

whm
Old 09-05-2019, 06:19 PM
Charter Member

I bought and installed this in a B-25 I used to own, changing out the old Rosewood saddle. Made a big difference in sound and was super easy to install. Just needed a little bit of sanding.

https://www.philadelphialuthiertools...ustic-guitars/
Old 09-06-2019, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexsblues View Post
My question is what should I expect to pay to have this modification done? I know some people simply put a rosewood insert in the ADJ bridge, but I can't help but feel the tone would be much better with a full on replacement of the bridge. Can any owners attest to this? Thanks!
An insert, if done well, is difficult to spot, a bridge replacement is not needed IMO.

I, like I guess most other luthiers would be the same, make my own insert conversions. Its a pretty easy job

Steve

Before

After

Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair