The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 09-05-2019, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
Another thing I heard from a luthier friend is the ADJ bridge has a plywood bridgeplate on the underside of the top. Whereas a normal bridged Gibson would have a solid maple bridge plate. He recommends replacing the bridgeplate too. Then you get the complete tone that the non-ADJ guitars have.
I could be mistaken, but I believe that started a bit later in the 60s.
Seagull S6 GT
Old 09-05-2019, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles Tauber View Post
Removing the bridge plate, installing a new one, making a new bridge and saddle and setting up, as shown on Frank's page to which you linked, is likely to be considerably more than the $250 range that Wade suggested. I'd estimate it twice that.
Thanks for chiming in, Charles. As I mentioned, this isn’t work I’ve ever needed to have done, so my cost estimation was pure speculation!

whm
Old 09-05-2019, 06:19 PM
Charter Member

I bought and installed this in a B-25 I used to own, changing out the old Rosewood saddle. Made a big difference in sound and was super easy to install. Just needed a little bit of sanding.

https://www.philadelphialuthiertools...ustic-guitars/
Old 09-06-2019, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexsblues View Post
My question is what should I expect to pay to have this modification done? I know some people simply put a rosewood insert in the ADJ bridge, but I can't help but feel the tone would be much better with a full on replacement of the bridge. Can any owners attest to this? Thanks!
An insert, if done well, is difficult to spot, a bridge replacement is not needed IMO.

I, like I guess most other luthiers would be the same, make my own insert conversions. Its a pretty easy job

Steve

Before

After

Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 04-22-2020, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneyard75 View Post
I own a 1964 Gibson J45 that has an adjustable bridge.... I would NEVER change it! The sound is heavenly! Don't prejudge the adjustable bridge....If the guitar sounds great, simply accept it.
Boneyard

I have a 65 j45 with adj bridge. The sound of the ceramic saddle was too bright for me. Had my repair guy make a tight mahogany insert and a bone saddle.
It was still lacking in the sound I expected. I just took it in again and asked what I could do to improve sound ? He told me the most likely way to improve sound would be to replace the bridge. I’m at the point that I’m up for it.
When he took off the bridge we found the strangest thing. Under the original bridge was a “dug out” section that resulted in about 1:2 of the bridge contacting the soundboard. He is going to make me a bridge maybe 1/8 “ larger than original, and try to level that area under the new saddle.
We can’t figure out what the builder was thinking. Perhaps the original guy stopped out for lunch and had a few puffs before installing the original bridge.
I will send pics soon
1965 Gibson J-45 w/K&K/Ultratonic conversion
1940's??? Harmony Patrician archtop
2002 Taylor Big Baby
1985 Kentucky KM850 mando w/lr baggs radius
1959 Gibson A-5 Mando
2004 Fender Strat (Mexican)
Army bugle
Old autoharp
Indian flute
Cowbell
Old 04-22-2020, 07:26 PM

I have a 67 Hummingbird. Sounds great with the adjustable bridge with rosewood saddle. The bridge was only held down by screws when I got it, totally lifted off. Gibson glued the bridge to the finish. Removed finish under bridge and glued to top.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair