The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 08-25-2019, 05:28 AM
Charter Member

Default Rainsong Compared to Other CF Guitars...

I've only owned carbon fiber guitars made by Rainsong and have been very pleased. However, I'm curious as to how other brands compare. No bashing please - just an honest comparison as to what each brings to the table....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 08-25-2019, 06:32 AM

I've owned almost all the CA models at one time or another. They are less loud and less bright than a comparable RainSong. They are also a bit heavier. I thought that compared to wood guitars in a pure acoustic situation, that a RainSong cuts above wood guitars and my CAs were quieter than wooden guitars. That is important to me and I've since sold them and play only RainSongs.

I would love to try a McPhearson as their CF guitar has the same designer/consultant as CA. Maybe they've gotten the volume up to wood guitar levels while retaining that very wood guitar like tone of CAs.

Peavey has closed down (most of?) their US manufacturing (they recently auctioned their US factory assets). I'm not sure where they stand today as Hartley Peavey is 77 and I imagine an accountant would find less reason to keep CA going than an enthusiast entrepreneur.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 08-25-2019, 01:58 PM

The main thing that Rainsong brings to the table is traditional shapes and sizes. (other than their instance on calling a 12-fret short scale an OM instead of a 000)

So, an OM is an OM, a Dread is a Dread, a Parlor is an 0 and you pretty much know what everything is and is for by a traditional model designation. And thus you can also find a hard case without too much trouble. The designs are lightweight, and a bit neck heavy. The also put out a surprising amount of volume. I can use my Parlor in a situation where I otherwise would need a wooden OM.

Emerald went the opposite direction. They have used the adaptability of the technology to create unique designs with a lot of nifty features (bevels, wedges, rounded off edges) that can make a visually stunning and comfortable instrument that looks like it dropped in for a visit from the future. They are quite a bit heavier than others. My Chimaera might weigh more than my Guild.

Peavey/CA has essentially abandoned their line.

McPherson has two models. The Sable is basically an OM, very warm sounding, outside my price range.

The only other player of note is Journey. The Overhead brings a removable neck to the table. I recall them being roughly 0 size, but their website has them closer to a size 1. I don't travel enough that a removable neck guitar is needed, but if I did, I'd get one of these.

The new Journey Roadtrip is much larger (halfway between an 00 and 000). Never seen one. Never played one. No good hard case options because it's a weird size.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 08-25-2019, 02:09 PM

I have an Emerald (old center-hole X7) and a Rainsong (Shorty SG) and agree with AZLiberty. The Rainsong is very traditional in terms of the the size and shape, whereas the Emerald is like nothing else I've every played. They are both fantastic guitars, but for me the X7 is more of an office/travel guitar (although the latter niche has been occupied for the past two years by a non-CF Journey Overhead), whereas for me the Shorty is my go-to acoustic, having taken over from a Martin 000-15 custom shop, because it is so much more consistent and responsive.
Old 08-25-2019, 02:44 PM
Charter Member

I've only owned over a dozen all-carbon RainSong models and held for a few days or less three Composite Acoustic dreadnoughts. The RainSongs were all very consistent in tone and played well and were and are--to me--the sound of carbon guitars. The Composite Acoustic models were all pre-Peavey models and sounded good but all had flaws--including a bridge peeling away from the top as I tuned it for the first time!--and I quickly returned them for a refund--possible disgruntled, employee sabotage of the brand comes to mind! I haven't yet bought an Emerald guitar but I've been considering getting an Emerald Green X20.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 08-25-2019, 03:11 PM

As with all threads of this nature you're going to get a wide array of answers and opinions so I'll share my experience and opinions on the carbon fiber guitars that I have and have played over the years.

The first carbon fiber guitar that I ever owned was a Rainsong Black Ice WS1000N2. I had to take a chance and buy without playing as my local music store doesn't carry them. The guitar was beautiful and well made. That particular model had a bright, bell like tone that was new to me but I did like it. Ultimately I couldn't bond with Rainsong's N2 neck profile and returned it to the store I bought it for a full refund,. minus shipping charges. I hope Rainsong will eventually revisit their neck design.

Next I ordered an Emerald X30 jumbo, just when they announced that model. That guitar blew me away in every aspect. It's super comfy for a bigger guitar and had a big bold voice that I loved. That quickly became my favorite guitar. I ended up giving that guitar to my uncle (which is a long story that I won't get into here) and have missed it ever since and hope one day to have one again.

The only carbon fiber guitar that I currently own is an Emerald X20. Unlike the X30, I wasn't blown away by the X20 (maybe I was already ruined). It is still a nice guitar that's fun to play and comfy, though almost a little too small for my taste. The bevels make it feel smaller than it actually is. I prefer bigger guitars so keep that in mind. One day I expect to sell the X20 for another X30.

My local music store has a 2018 Composite Acoustics GX model. I never had the pleasure to play a pre-peavey CA guitar so I can't comment on that but to revisit Jon's comments this particular CA model is super loud. It is actually the loudest guitar in the store. Louder than a D18 and a D28 which totally surprised me but it was also very warm sounding and had a really nice punch to it. The tone on this guitar left a big mark on me and the only thing helping me resist is the nut width of 1 11/16, they call it the slim neck profile. They apparently offer a 1 3/4 inch nut as well.

You can't go wrong with any of them IMO. Emerald are more futuristic and you can get any customization's you desire. Rainsong and CA are more on the traditional side but have a voice of their own.
Old 08-25-2019, 03:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarLuva View Post
Ultimately I couldn't bond with Rainsong's N2 neck profile and returned it to the store I bought it for a full refund,. minus shipping charges. I hope Rainsong will eventually revisit their neck design.
+1! Something between the old N1 neck and the current N2 neck would be a boon, at least for me. RainSong should consider examining Taylor and Gibson acoustic-guitar neck profiles from which to model a needed-IMHO--RainSong neck-profile change.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 08-25-2019, 04:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
+1! Something between the old N1 neck and the current N2 neck would be a boon, at least for me. RainSong should consider examining Taylor and Gibson acoustic-guitar neck profiles from which to model a needed-IMHO--RainSong neck-profile change.
This has been the problem with Rainsong for me too. I really like their guitars, as all that I have seen are of high quality and sound quite good. It is the neck that has stopped me from buying. There is nothing, as far as I can tell wrong with the neck - no flaws, just that I don't care for its shape and the string spacing. Too bad because they are fine instruments.

To be quite clear, the problem is me, not the guitars.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 08-25-2019, 05:17 PM
Charter Member

I've owned a RS OM, Shorty and WS, I now own an Emerald X7 and X20, I've played pretty much all the RS models in the store and several CA's, (no OX) . Never played a McPherson either. I just sold my Cargo. The guys above have done a good job describing the design differences. I think they are all very good guitars, but knowing what I know and for my playing and preferences if I had no CF guitars at all and could only have one, I'd order a Emerald X20. I've compared mine to a lot of expensive guitars and it beats most of them by a lot, there are some wood guitars that I prefer the tone of, but they cost 2-3 times the Emerald. For comfort, tone, customization choices, looks, cost and stability, there's not much that beats the X20 in my opinion. Just my opinion, I don't mean to sound like I work for Emerald.
Old 08-25-2019, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
Ken, I never had the honor of playing the original N1 Rainsong neck so I can't comment on the difference. That N2 neck though is quite 'chunky' and kudos to everyone who likes it. I agree they should revisit the N2 design and go with a more Tayloresque design since most people seem to jive with those. I own a Gibson and really like the neck on that as well.
Old 08-25-2019, 06:19 PM
Guest 928

I think that Jdinco sounds like he's working for Emerald.
Old 08-25-2019, 06:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
I think that Jdinco sounds like he's working for Emerald.
LOL....Captain Jim's on vacation, so I got the part time job until he returns.
Old 08-25-2019, 10:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinco View Post
LOL....Captain Jim's on vacation, so I got the part time job until he returns.
How'd I get into this?? I do like those Emeralds. But, the only one I'm workin' for is the Blonde. It isn't easy being a trophy husband.
Old 08-26-2019, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
This has been the problem with Rainsong for me too. I really like their guitars, as all that I have seen are of high quality and sound quite good. It is the neck that has stopped me from buying. There is nothing, as far as I can tell wrong with the neck - no flaws, just that I don't care for its shape and the string spacing. Too bad because they are fine instruments.
+1. Add me to the “N2 neck is too chunky for me” crowd. If not for the neck, I would own a Rainsong today.
Old 08-26-2019, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
...trophy husband.
I generally stay away from those trophy hunters because sooner or later something gets mounted on a wall.

On to the other subject at hand. I spent a long time agonizing between a certain Rainsong guitar and a Blackbird Lucky 13. I already had an Emerald X20. If not I would have likely gone with the Rainsong. Since I had the X20 I took the Lucky route because it was tonally more different from the X20. Great guitar too. I keep meaning to sell the Lucky, but it somehow convinces me not to every time the subject comes up.

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber