The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-11-2019, 02:09 PM

Thumbs up I'm going to have to stop buying guitars!!

Or I fear the wife may kill me whilst I sleep!

I went out this morning to look at a resonator, Turned out to be an Alden electro acoustic type but ended up bringing an Epiphone 'John Lennon' EJ160 and a Sigma S000M home

I've recently also bought a Faith Mercury Parlour, A Faith Saturn and a couiple of others, The wife isn't happy!!

The Sigma

The Epi

The Saturn

The Mercury

An Ebay (£50) win, Hudson bluenote studio

There's several more, I'm unsure if i've posted about them thpough!

Have to say, The Sigma is fast becoming my fave!!

John
Old 08-11-2019, 02:30 PM

Nice finds!

You obviously haven't learned the trick of buying guitars. The deal is to get so many that your wife can't keep up with them all. She can't keep count and doesn't know what is new.
Old 08-11-2019, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfspencer View Post
Nice finds!

You obviously haven't learned the trick of buying guitars. The deal is to get so many that your wife can't keep up with them all. She can't keep count and doesn't know what is new.
I tried that with a steady girl a few years back..some how she noticed a new one every time...sigh...but I only had about 16... shoulda had more I guess.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 08-11-2019, 03:07 PM
Charter Member

We're supposed to stop? I didn't get that email.....

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 08-11-2019, 03:41 PM

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfspencer View Post
Nice finds!

Trouble is that I have around 40, They're in every room so she knows when it gets that bit harder to get in to a spare room or the kitchen!!

John
Old 08-11-2019, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post
Trouble is that I have around 40,
That's a lot. Like really a whole bunch. Last time I had 40 anything was when I bought a box of nails.
Old 08-11-2019, 04:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmf View Post
That's a lot. Like really a whole bunch. Last time I had 40 anything was when I bought a box of nails.

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 08-11-2019, 04:48 PM
Charter Member

Luckily my wife is not a fan of attics and basements, which is where I keep a bunch of “emply guitar boxes and cases. As long as the number of cases in my room remains constant I’m good.
Guilds: 69 F312 Braz, 89 Nightbird II, 91 Nightbird CU, 94 GV70, 96 A50 flattop, 06 CO1 Cedar, 11 F30CE, 13 CS F30R Reno Star, 14 GSR F30CE Coco, Orpheum OM RW, Orpheum SS Hog. SOLD: Guilds: 78 F40,79 F112,’87 GF60R,94 DV72,07 CS F47 Braz,11 DD6MCE,12 F30,12 F30R,18 F2512. Other: 70 Epi 5102,74 Ibanez LesPaul,90 Gibson ES347,15 Alvarez MFA70,15 Martin OM28VTS,15 Epi ES339Pro,16 Alvarez AF60
Old 08-11-2019, 04:59 PM
Charter Member

I can see the pile of guitars over there in Sheffield looming over the horizon. .... and I'm on the south coast !

This has got to stop!

Seriously though, if it is just from your savings and the bills get paid, and you and your significant other have separate bank accounts, it's just a matter of storage.

I take it that you do all the hoovering, dusting and other housework?

I had the hands on hips experience way back in the mid '90s. My wife and I had an agreement that she paid for the food and I paid for everything else and that when I died she could sell them all , probably at a profit. She relaxed and now says I can have what I like as long as I can find a place to store it.

btw .. what DOES ground glass taste like?

Last edited by Silly Moustache; 08-11-2019 at 05:05 PM.
Old 08-11-2019, 05:02 PM

Leave a few boat broker price lists laying around. Guitars will suddenly seem oh so reasonable...
Old 08-11-2019, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Trouble is that I have around 40, They're in every room so she knows when it gets that bit harder to get in to a spare room or the kitchen!!

John
Don't feel so bad with my eight now.
2006 Jubal Jumbo
2016 New Era Crooked Star Prairie State Jumbo
2016 New Era Crooked Star Senorita
2020 Iris Smeck
1972 Guild Killdeer F112-6 Part Deux
Old 08-12-2019, 09:25 AM

I live in Phoenix but commute to LA weekly. I have acquired guitars in LA that have gone “unnoticed by my wife. “I stay away from LA guitars and McCabes because GAS is strong with this one. I feel a third may be coming. The day of reckoning will come when she picks me up from the airport after my final week and a boatload of guitar cases are waiting at baggage claim [emoji3061][emoji3061][emoji3061][emoji3061]
Old 09-10-2019, 05:00 PM

Default £1 Yamaha FG700MS

Last week I had a walk around a local bootsale and picked up a broken Yamaha FG700MS for the princely sum of one English pound!!

The headstock had two cracks running through it, I glued and clamped the easier one then tackled the main bad one, 24 hours later I released the clamps and it seemed ok, I had rubbed all the finish off the neck and then put a few coats of a Tung based oil on..

I then proceded to string the guitar up and the strings were buzzing terribly, I put a spacer under the nut which made it playable but horrible to play, When I lopoked down the neck it was curving back terribly, I dug out a 5mm allen key and boy was it tight, Anyhow I got the trussrod nut to move and there was a crack!, The bad one had let go, I should have done this before I glued it as I was having trouble getting the joint to sit correctly!

I ended up running thin Cyano liberally down the joint and holding it closed for a couple of minutes and iot held, It held so well that as I tested it by holding the middle of the neck and pushing on the headstock, The neck started bending!!

I put the strings back on and it was very high on the action, I;'d left the spacer it!!, I had to tweek the trussrod to get the neck right and it turned out (By luck) absolutely perfect!!

It doesn't look nice but it holds tune fine and the action is just right with no buzzing and no worn fingertips for holding too high strings down, It actually does sound very nice tonally and the strings are cheapo's off the bay!!

After I glued the lower easy mendable crack I had to open the bad one up to brush the PVA glue in to get every bit covered!

Clamps on!

As I said, Not pretty but it's got a great hold!!

Job done, Cheap for a solid spruce topped geetar!!

I originally planned to remove the machines, Nut, Pegs and saddle but i've been off work for twelve weeks after a new knee fitting and thought i'd have a bash!!

John
Old 09-10-2019, 05:09 PM

I think you need one more, just one more...
Old 09-10-2019, 05:42 PM

Default I'm going to have to stop buying guitars!!

Quote:
Or I fear the wife may kill me whilst I sleep!

I've recently also bought a Faith Mercury Parlour, A Faith Saturn and a couiple of others, The wife isn't happy!!

John

There is an easy fix: you just need to change your wife's frame of reference.

Ask her if she would prefer you were addicted to other women instead of guitars.

If you are ready to sleep on the couch for a couple of days, the argument should subside and you'll have the green light to continue your guitar addiction.

At least this is how it plays out in my imagination. I have not actually attempted this argument yet.
Alvarez MD60BG
Yamaha LL16RD
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Player Stratocaster

Last edited by JBCROTTY; 09-10-2019 at 09:27 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion