The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 08-02-2019, 07:38 PM

Default Early CA collection

My lil collection back in the day...July, 2009... 12 stringer was prolly first one out and it belonged and still belongs to a friend on mine. (Purchased from McNichol of course). I still have the OX and that black Cargo. Both Cargos are the original "Cargonians" of yore.

McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 08-02-2019, 09:38 PM

Wait....if you only have the Ox and black Cargo...using my fingers for figuring that means you actually got rid of some guitars. Wow, who knew
Old 08-02-2019, 10:18 PM
Charter Member

Awesome collection you had..How did you manage to keep fresh strings on them? Or even stale strings.
Old 08-03-2019, 03:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinco View Post
Awesome collection you had..How did you manage to keep fresh strings on them? Or even stale strings.

Wasn't good at keeping new strings on.
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 08-03-2019, 07:44 AM

Where's the GX? I'm about to call your collection null and void!
Old 08-03-2019, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarLuva View Post
Where's the GX? I'm about to call your collection null and void!
CA sent me one a couple years later... just before they went under.... great guitar.
Old 08-03-2019, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
CA sent me one a couple years later... just before they went under.... great guitar.
Yes I agree the GX is a great guitar and I'm surprised you don't have one in that fine collection. The one at my local music store really left a mark on me.
Old 08-03-2019, 08:48 AM

Nice collection! I have a 2004 CA Legacy AE that's still doing great 15 years down the road. It's accumulated a few light scratches on the back but otherwise is aging very well. The neck hasn't budged at all. I'd take a picture but they're notoriously hard to capture in the wild...
Old 08-03-2019, 09:23 AM
Guest 928

You say you have 3, but show a picture of 4???
Old 09-13-2019, 12:34 AM
Charter Member

Wow, great pics. Reminds me that I to had over a dozen CA's go through my home. I ended up keeping just one OX - that one just had the best tone of them all and remains very special. It was a special order from CA also before they went under but I don't think they did anything special in its design except maybe doing particularly carefulsetup. It became my fav and it is my primary 'bang around' instrument. (Do wonder how the Emeralds would compare....)
Old 09-13-2019, 08:41 AM
Guest 928

A CA Cargo was my first carbon fiber instrument. I also had a Peavey Cargo--I liked them both but they were steel strung and were eventually cut from the herd. My favorite CA was the Ox, it plowed the field in many different ways. But it was a steel string and was pushed out of the herd.

I sold the Ox to a friend who made it his primary guitar for several years before it was requisitioned by his son. The son then traveled around the U.S. with it and then took it through Africa playing with native bands. The Ox is a remarkably versatile instrument.
Old 09-13-2019, 08:52 AM

On the rare occasion of visits to my LGS (maybe twice a year) I always play the Gx and Ox that they have on the wall, and I'm favorably impressed. But I'm very well stocked with carbon fiber guitars already, so no need to buy. My wife has a Peavey-era Cargo bought from there about four years ago, which displaced her Taylor GS Mini. The Cargo has since been displaced by an early 2018 "version 2" Emerald X7.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber