The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 09-15-2019, 08:25 PM
Charter Member

Default re:buy and sell subform frustration

Do people only look at the title when browsing the "Want to Buy" posts?

In my recent post there, I have specified I was looking for a certain brand of guitar.

My email has been bombarded with offers from people with brands that I really am not at all interested in.One person even went so far as to offer a junk guitar...

Seems like many do not bother to read the post in it's entirety.

I wish people would be more considerate when one makes a more specific request.

Perhaps it's due to the computer age, where mutitasking and inattentiveness is so prevalent.
Old 09-16-2019, 04:38 AM
Charter Member

I continue to be amazed when I post a guitar for sale and state "Absolutely No Trades" and still get trade offers. My thinking is that the respondent read what I'd written but thought I'd change my mind when I learned what they were willing to trade...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 09-16-2019, 05:45 AM

I find it reassuring, it simply demonstrates the human capacity for optimism: "I'll give it a go, you never know"
Old 09-16-2019, 06:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silurian View Post
I find it reassuring, it simply demonstrates the human capacity for optimism: "I'll give it a go, you never know"
I like this — very positive outlook!
Old 09-16-2019, 07:04 AM
Charter Member

I don't know if it's inattentiveness as much as it reflects what a tough sales market it has been for a while. If they're answering a WTB, then they're trying to sell, just like most of our members who are posting in the Classifieds. Our members are finding it tough and so are the folks answering the WTB threads.

I'm sure inattentiveness plays a role because the staff sees folks every single day answer ads who are not entitled to do so by the rules. So, maybe everybody should pay a little closer attention in our Classifieds. Rules are at the top of the page.

In the meantime, I guess patience is a virtue.
Old 09-16-2019, 07:06 AM
Charter Member

It’s not just the Forum, it extends to other platforms such as craigslist or other local listings. One might say it comes with the territory.

I do find the AGF responders to be the most educated as to what one has to offer, so that’s a big plus.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 09-16-2019, 09:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasome View Post
I like this — very positive outlook!
Well, not so much when your email gets bombarded.

I replied several times to my post requesting people to respect the guidelines yet still they persist.It's not a positive for me.
Old 09-16-2019, 10:39 AM
Charter Member

I have never sold anything through the classifieds here, but have posted follow-ups to the OP when the instrument for sale is one I am very familiar with. I figure if I can help "bump" a good instrument with some more information, that would help. I have also done this on rare occasions in the non-guitar "for sale" area.

Having purchased a couple of small items in the non-guitar "for sale" area, I follow the same idea that I follow when in music stores - I don't pester the sales folks or "try" guitars unless I am serious about buying, nor do I try to low-ball if I am serious about buying.

So far, this seems to have served me well. It would seem a courtesy to the sellers in the "for sale" section to read their wishes and terms, and honor them.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 09-16-2019, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitargabor View Post
Well, not so much when your email gets bombarded.

I replied several times to my post requesting people to respect the guidelines yet still they persist.It's not a positive for me.
And yet it's easy enough to just ignore/delete the irrelevant ones. At least that means people are looking at your ad I suppose.
Old 09-16-2019, 12:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 619TF View Post
And yet it's easy enough to just ignore/delete the irrelevant ones. At least that means people are looking at your ad I suppose.
I did that once and was chided by one person who was upset I did not respond to his email!
Old 09-16-2019, 02:55 PM

Quote:
I did that once and was chided by one person who was upset I did not respond to his email!
Hahahaha! "I wrote you an irrelevant email and you didn't respond? Waaaaaaah!". I'd have ignored that one too (and then blocked the sender).
Old 09-16-2019, 08:16 PM

I have bought a few items where the ads have said "price is firm" and I end up getting it for a bit less. I go look at the item, develop a bit of a rapport with the owner and then offer something less than the firm asking price. The answer is usually, "No, I'm firm at that price". I then come up a little and say, "I'll leave my phone number and if you want to sell at that price, give me a call". Usually, before I get to the door, we end up with a deal.
Old 09-16-2019, 08:55 PM

It's a guitar forum for people that love guitars so even though you specified 'Martin or Taylor only' it's only natural for enthusiasts to throw out suggestions for guitars they might think are similar or even better.
That blue Guild jumbo offered was certainly a good example until you let the forum know a jumbo was too big - something you didn't mention in your OP.
So I wouldn't be offended by it, many suggestions were posted with 'good will' not 'bad intent'.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 09-16-2019, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Do people only look at the title when browsing the "Want to Buy" posts?....
Yes and they still ignore it. People post all the time things like "I want a Dread that...." and they get "you should try a parlor".

And, they say something like " I want a (pick one) American/European/Canadian..... solid wood guitar...". And they are bombarded with "You should check out the Pacific Rim laminate guitars" or "What's wrong with Australian..."

It's not just here. Because of the internet and no direct reprisal for inappropriate commentary, they say the first thing that comes into their head.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic