The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-15-2019, 02:50 PM

Default Played a Gibson L-00 true vintage

Really liked it, it was at Guitar Center used with a big gash on top. Anyone have an idea what you would pay for one of those with a fair amount of cosmetic damage? Also do these really sound much different than the typical L oo. This one was a 2014. They were asking 2000.

What I liked about it was a rather old-timey thump in the bass, almost like it was a thud without much complexity to it at all. It sounded great with hymns.

What I did not care for was how glossy the neck was. Wish I could get a raw open-pore mahogany neck don't like how your hands stick to the Finish.
Old 09-15-2019, 03:32 PM

Well since it already has a "gash" in it, if you do decide to go for it, some 0000 steel wool will take that gloss off and make it highly playable if that's an issue.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 09-15-2019, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbro View Post
Really liked it, it was at Guitar Center used with a big gash on top. Anyone have an idea what you would pay for one of those with a fair amount of cosmetic damage? Also do these really sound much different than the typical L oo. This one was a 2014. They were asking 2000.

What I liked about it was a rather old-timey thump in the bass, almost like it was a thud without much complexity to it at all. It sounded great with hymns.

What I did not care for was how glossy the neck was. Wish I could get a raw open-pore mahogany neck don't like how your hands stick to the Finish.
Wow, I was in Austin a couple of weeks ago and almost bought that guitar. It didn’t have a gash then, and I think it was priced at $2,100.
Old 09-15-2019, 04:17 PM
Charter Member

Is this "gash" a scratch in the finish or is it damage to the wood? If it just made the guitar kinda ugly I'd offer them $1500 and see if they'd bite. If it is actual damage to the wood you probably can't buy it for what it's actually worth. It's best to just walk away.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 09-15-2019, 04:41 PM

Well, most of the ‘30’s era L-00’s look like they have been dragged down the road by now, so perhaps this modern one is on it’s way to having that kind of mojo.

Still, in the fickle world of guitar buying and selling, appearances count.

If the guitar really floats your boat, offer a price on it that makes you feel good about owning it, and see if they will negotiate.

Sounds like it may have been damaged after they procured it, which means they should have to eat the devaluation.

As a guide, I bought a cosmetic train wreck of an L-00 (1934) for about half what a collector-grade one would have fetched. Longitudinal headstock crack (well-repaired), several top cracks (glued and cleated). Lots and lots of dings, scratches and pick rash. But the tone is heavenly.

A few nice ones, a few beaters, and a few I should probably sell...
Old 09-15-2019, 04:52 PM

Thanks to all the replies. Wow that is crazy if you just play that guitar, would you agree that there was something special going on? When I say gosh I should say somebody banged the top in put an impression about the size of a nickel near the lower bout
Quote:
Originally Posted by music2myears View Post
Wow, I was in Austin a couple of weeks ago and almost bought that guitar. It didn’t have a gash then, and I think it was priced at $2,100.
Old 09-15-2019, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbro View Post
Thanks to all the replies. Wow that is crazy if you just play that guitar, would you agree that there was something special going on? When I say gosh I should say somebody banged the top in put an impression about the size of a nickel near the lower bout
Yes, it was sweet!! I passed only because I prefer a beefier neck.
Old 09-16-2019, 08:51 AM

I have one : love it ! Probably paid too much since it already bore some dings, but as they produced only 75 of these...
Old 09-16-2019, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by music2myears View Post
Yes, it was sweet!! I passed only because I prefer a beefier neck.
Interesting. The '30's vintage L-00's have huge V-necks.

This is from Sweetwater's description of the L-00 True Vintage neck:

Like all the handcrafted guitars built in Gibson's Bozeman, MT facility, the L-00 True Vintage Limited Edition is made to be played for years and sound even better over time. This special guitar boasts a solid Red spruce top with vintage-cut braces, premium mahogany back and sides, and a top-quality mahogany neck with a distinctive 1930's-style wide "V" shape.

A few nice ones, a few beaters, and a few I should probably sell...
Old 09-16-2019, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Charlie View Post
Interesting. The '30's vintage L-00's have huge V-necks.

This is from Sweetwater's description of the L-00 True Vintage neck:

Like all the handcrafted guitars built in Gibson's Bozeman, MT facility, the L-00 True Vintage Limited Edition is made to be played for years and sound even better over time. This special guitar boasts a solid Red spruce top with vintage-cut braces, premium mahogany back and sides, and a top-quality mahogany neck with a distinctive 1930's-style wide "V" shape.
Very interesting.

For reference, I own one of the last L-00 Legends built in 2016 and it has a vintage style (very large, deep) V-neck.
Old 09-16-2019, 11:50 AM
Guest 33123

I just bought a NOS 2015 Gibson 1932 L-00 Vintage and the neck is an enormous V but I have no experience with the TVs.
Old 09-17-2019, 03:38 PM

They declined my offer of 1800. Definitely has a pretty small neck

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion