The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 09-09-2019, 11:50 PM
Charter Member

I had a 1978 Volvo 244 that I bought used from a friend. I liked it. It was really comfortable. I don't remember how many miles it had on it when I decided to have it repainted; I think a little over 120,000 miles. And I don't remember the cost for repainting it at the time, but I think it was about $1000. I think the year I had the car repainted was 1991 or 1992, so the vehicle was about 13-14 years old.

My oldest son was a new driver and was driving this car when he rear-ended a young lady at a stop light. The cars were repaired, nobody was hurt, so we got through that, then about 6 months later I took it to the local Volvo shop to have them replace the heater core. I don't have a clear picture of what happened, but the car burned up in the shop. It was a total loss. True story.

I can't remember what I got from the insurance company but it didn't quite pay for the paint job. I then went out and bought a new (at the time) 1993 Ford Taurus and just moved on. The Volvo dealer lost his business about that time.

I think the value of your car is lot more than what my car was worth when I had it repainted. I think the suggestion of having only certain parts repainted is a good idea. I had a Lincoln LS where I had a section repainted at the local Ford dealer's body shop and they did a very good job of matching color. I think that would be the way to go, as KenL has suggested. And as Bruce suggested, you might wait until you retire to do the paint job. I do so much less driving now that I am retired.

Best of luck with this.

- Glenn
Old 09-10-2019, 08:20 PM

Hi Slothead.

My wife and I owned several Volvos over the years, old ones ('78 242GT, '88 740 wagon, '89 240GL), drove them literally for decades and until a very few years ago. Miss those old boxes so-o-o much. (Today I drive an '07 Toyota Avalon and my wife a '13 Lexus 300h...long story.) In comparison, your Volvo is practically brand new. So I'll tell you what I'd do...and you can tell me I'm crazy.

First, I'd call the best detail guy I could find, based on personal recommendations if possible. Tell that guy what you want and let him tell you what he can do and for how much. If he claims he can do amazing things to bring the paint/body nicks back from near death...and there are some kind of amazing products out there these days...consider letting him try. You might be very surprised. If he tells you that you'll only be happy with new paint...THEN go on to step two.

Step two: go to the body shop used by the local Volvo dealer. If you really need any new paint, you want it to match and those guys make their living matching Volvo paint. With your magic flakes in the paint, etc., that could be a big factor. See what they'll charge to do the hood and whatever else, and tell 'em it's coming out of your pocket, not the insurance company's. If they quote you some outrageous figure, walk away and consider a cheapie paint shop. But to get a quote? Couldn't hurt. As with my first suggestion, you might be pleasantly surprised. Or not. But at least you'll know.

Just my two cents.

Good luck, whatever you decide.

Dirk

Last edited by dirkronk; 09-10-2019 at 08:29 PM.
Old 09-11-2019, 06:15 AM

If you are the type to be concerned with some chips and imperfections, as I can be as well, then I suspect that most budget paint jobs will produce horrifying results.
On the other hand, quality paintwork these days can be really cost prohibitive.
Eastman John Pisano
Gibson Johnny A
Franklin Prairie State
Collings D1A

Last edited by Kerbie; 09-11-2019 at 06:23 AM. Reason: Edited
Old 09-11-2019, 06:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogducker View Post
Is Earl Scheibe still in business? He use to do the whole car for about $100. I think he masked the glass only!

Fog
Thanks for the hilarious trip in the Way Back machine!
Old 09-11-2019, 07:41 AM

If you have to ask - yes. I would paint the car as soon as it was showing wear and tear.
Old 09-11-2019, 07:58 AM

As others have said, wait until you retire and see how you feel about the car.

Even though you already seem to know this, you'll never get back the money you put into a car. Repaint it because you want to, not in the hope that it will bring you more money whenever you sell or trade it in.
Old 09-11-2019, 09:10 AM

Back in high school (late 1970's), we painted Terry Martin's 1968 Ford Mustang with Sears sky blue indoor latex paint with rollers and brushes.

Of course, we were exceptionally high at the time.

Terry still has that car, though. He had it restored back in 2005 but, until then, our paint job was hangin' tough!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic