The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 09-05-2019, 05:48 AM

Default Delayed neck finishing

I know I'm one of the few that only builds for myself, but I'm curious if anyone else delays finishing of the neck (especially when bolt-on) until after everything has been set up and played in. I know on my first build I found some spots that would have needed touch up only after playing for a day or two.

Given that I build bolt-on, removing the neck is very easy. Are there any possible issues that I'm not thinking of?
Old 09-05-2019, 07:30 AM

Why would you want to do that? I can't really see any advantage in doing so. If you play it then it will get dirty and oily and you will have to sand through that to finish it properly. What are you trying to achieve by not finishing the neck and playing the guitar in for a while?
Old 09-05-2019, 07:38 AM

If you’re like me and have problems getting the neck dead right without strings on it, it would certainly help. I’ve stripped finish and reshaped before cause I didn’t like the final feel. But, no I’ve never gone through attaching unfinished. Just too much work for I guess for the occasional miss.
Old 09-05-2019, 07:50 AM

I don't use bolt-on (compound dovetail), but since I only finish with French-polished shellac, touch up is measured in minutes. I've already removed wood to adjust the shape after the neck was attached. Three or 4 touch up coats completes the work.
Old 09-05-2019, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonWint View Post
I don't use bolt-on (compound dovetail), but since I only finish with French-polished shellac, touch up is measured in minutes. I've already removed wood to adjust the shape after the neck was attached. Three or 4 touch up coats completes the work.
That's a really thin finish.
Old 09-05-2019, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by packocrayons View Post

Given that I build bolt-on, removing the neck is very easy. Are there any possible issues that I'm not thinking of?
do you not glue your fretboard extension down or do you make a floating neck?
Old 09-05-2019, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arie View Post
do you not glue your fretboard extension down or do you make a floating neck?
I didn't on my first, and I don't plan to this time either. I may add screws through the top into the fingerboard this time (thinner fingerboard than last time), but at the moment the plan is to seat it flat on the top, no need for glue. Last time I didn't have any rattling issues, and I don't see any other reason to glue it down. Any (minimal that far up the neck) pressure is pushing it down to where it should already be anyways, nothing is trying to lift the fingerboard.

I am going with a shellac finish, so I guess I'll just watch an episode of TV and play with just the neck for an hour, finish, and touch up later if necessary.
Old 09-05-2019, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by packocrayons View Post
I didn't on my first, and I don't plan to this time either. I may add screws through the top into the fingerboard this time (thinner fingerboard than last time), but at the moment the plan is to seat it flat on the top, no need for glue. Last time I didn't have any rattling issues, and I don't see any other reason to glue it down. Any (minimal that far up the neck) pressure is pushing it down to where it should already be anyways, nothing is trying to lift the fingerboard.

I am going with a shellac finish, so I guess I'll just watch an episode of TV and play with just the neck for an hour, finish, and touch up later if necessary.
interesting, thx for sharing.
Old 09-05-2019, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles Tauber View Post
That's a really thin finish.
Well.....let's say 3 or 4 sessions where I can effectively apply 2 or 3 coats per session. The neck work I refer to was narrow strips below the fretboard edge to provide a larger radius for comfort.

My finishes are thin since I can complete a dreadnaught with less than 1 oz of shellac flakes. Some of that ounce is lost in the pad or sanded off during the process.

My customer (me) takes whatever I give him. Besides, finishing never ends as I will touch up whenever it needs attention. I also don't sand/polish/buff my shellac finishes. I end with "off-the-pad" finishes.
Old 09-05-2019, 05:59 PM

I like to test the finished product, includes the finish.

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair