The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-26-2023, 10:06 AM

Default Anyone Gigging with the LR Baggs HiFi?

I purchased an LR Baggs HiFi pickup for my J45 to replace the LR Baggs Active Element. I have not installed it yet.

I am mostly interested in hearing the opinions/reviews from players gigging with the LR Baggs HiFi pickup? I did see the other post but would like to hear from others on their opinion before I install it.

Specifically how is the EQ and Feedback in a loud environment, solo or even with a band? What adjustments to the EQ do you make and what are you running it through for your amplification? What Guitar did you install it In?

Thanks,
Fender Standard Telecaster
Old 10-26-2023, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman97040 View Post
I purchased an LR Baggs HiFi pickup for my J45 to replace the LR Baggs Active Element. I have not installed it yet.

I am mostly interested in hearing the opinions/reviews from players gigging with the LR Baggs HiFi pickup? I did see the other post but would like to hear from others on their opinion before I install it.

Specifically how is the EQ and Feedback in a loud environment, solo or even with a band? What adjustments to the EQ do you make and what are you running it through for your amplification? What Guitar did you install it In?

Thanks,
I am curious as well. I love the opinions on here and appreciate each one of them, but I do find that there's a lack of musicians on here who play in bands or louder environments. That's where it can be difficult to get a true sense of how something like the HiFi will work.
Old 10-26-2023, 12:46 PM

Mine's in a 1970-something Ibanez Lawsuit (Guild) dread. I'm a flatpicker and strummer, not a fingerpicker, and the HiFi replaced a Baggs M80 magnetic because of my tendency to hit the pickup with my pick. The installation was amazingly easy. I use it mostly in singer-songwriter, listening room, house concert and acoustic club settings. It sounds great, or so I've been told. It only feeds back (on the low end) in the hands of an inept sound person. In LA, most of them are pretty good. It's loud as pickups go, so once in a while I have to back off the gain a little to avoid clipping the PA. There has been a rumor circulating (here and other places) that the onboard preamp lacks headroom, but that's certainly not true of mine. I run the EQ flat. If I hear the sound person jacking up the treble, I ask them not to rather than counteracting with my tone control. With my "loud" band, I go back to the M80 with the cable hanging out the front and into a small bass amp, because the thump of the magnetic works better in that context. I'll probably end up getting some beater acoustic with a plywood top to put the M80 in.

Couch Standards
Old 10-26-2023, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
Mine's in a 1970-something Ibanez Lawsuit (Guild) dread. I'm a flatpicker and strummer, not a fingerpicker, and the HiFi replaced a Baggs M80 magnetic because of my tendency to hit the pickup with my pick. The installation was amazingly easy. I use it mostly in singer-songwriter, listening room, house concert and acoustic club settings. It sounds great, or so I've been told. It only feeds back (on the low end) in the hands of an inept sound person. In LA, most of them are pretty good. It's loud as pickups go, so once in a while I have to back off the gain a little to avoid clipping the PA. There has been a rumor circulating (here and other places) that the onboard preamp lacks headroom, but that's certainly not true of mine. I run the EQ flat. If I hear the sound person jacking up the treble, I ask them not to rather than counteracting with my tone control. With my "loud" band, I go back to the M80 with the cable hanging out the front and into a small bass amp, because the thump of the magnetic works better in that context. I'll probably end up getting some beater acoustic with a plywood top to put the M80 in.
I agree with this. I installed three of these in the past few months in various D-18 style guitars I was auditioning to be my stage guitar. In the end, I liked the pickup; didn't care as much for the guitars and sold them off. I am playing a D-28 Modern Deluxe right now. It's great. However, I purchased another HiFi that I will install in my Larrivee L09, which is my backup guitar.

This pickup is not a panacea. It sounds to me like a K&K through certain preamps. It sounds like an LR Baggs piezo product for sure. It's pretty loud. It didn't feedback for me. I like it. If you like sound-board transducers, but need the preamp in the guitar, it should work for you. If you don't need the preamp in your guitar, it's not that attractive. You might like the sound of the passive K&K plus an IR preamp like Tonedexter or VPDI better. Or, a Dazzo, etc.
Old 10-26-2023, 06:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
With my "loud" band, I go back to the M80 with the cable hanging out the front and into a small bass amp, because the thump of the magnetic works better in that context.
Have you played the HiFi system with your "loud" band?

Does it fair well in a loud band situation even though you may prefer a magnetic PU in that application?

I ask because I have not yet heard the system and I'm considering an Alvarez Masterworks GA w/ a stock Baggs HiFi. I would be using it in a loud band as well as lower volume acoustic.

Thanks
Old 10-26-2023, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
I agree with this. I installed three of these in the past few months in various D-18 style guitars I was auditioning to be my stage guitar. In the end, I liked the pickup; didn't care as much for the guitars and sold them off. I am playing a D-28 Modern Deluxe right now. It's great. However, I purchased another HiFi that I will install in my Larrivee L09, which is my backup guitar.

This pickup is not a panacea. It sounds to me like a K&K through certain preamps. It sounds like an LR Baggs piezo product for sure. It's pretty loud. It didn't feedback for me. I like it. If you like sound-board transducers, but need the preamp in the guitar, it should work for you. If you don't need the preamp in your guitar, it's not that attractive. You might like the sound of the passive K&K plus an IR preamp like Tonedexter or VPDI better. Or, a Dazzo, etc.
If it has that K&K tone then I am sold. My main issue with the K&K is the glue. I just don't like experimenting if glue is involved.
Old 10-26-2023, 08:47 PM

I had the HiFi in a Collings OM1 that I ended up selling. I did gig it on a solo gig or two, but not in a “loud” situation. A few thoughts:

The output level was lower than my NC-2 pickup or the pickup in my Beard dobro. Not terribly lower, but I did need to use a pedal to equalize volume when switching instruments (which I do throughout a gig).

I ran the tone at the detent. I thought it sounded harsh above there, was ok rolled off but then sounded…rolled off.

Never had a feedback issue, but again, not running loud in a loud situation.

I was ok with the sound. I actually prefer the sound of the NC-2, but if you don’t want something in the sound hole and don’t was glue, the HiFi is a good solution.

“Sometimes science is more art than science…” - Rick Sanchez
Old 10-27-2023, 01:41 AM

This is useful, thanks to the OP for the question and please keep the opinions coming.
Old 10-27-2023, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nostatic View Post
I had the HiFi in a Collings OM1 that I ended up selling. I did gig it on a solo gig or two, but not in a “loud” situation. A few thoughts:

The output level was lower than my NC-2 pickup or the pickup in my Beard dobro. Not terribly lower, but I did need to use a pedal to equalize volume when switching instruments (which I do throughout a gig).

I ran the tone at the detent. I thought it sounded harsh above there, was ok rolled off but then sounded…rolled off.

Never had a feedback issue, but again, not running loud in a loud situation.

I was ok with the sound. I actually prefer the sound of the NC-2, but if you don’t want something in the sound hole and don’t was glue, the HiFi is a good solution.
It’s interesting to me that you prefer the NC-2’s tone to the HiFi. Considering that a passive mag can be wired to the HiFi preamp’s auxiliary input, it would be possible to create a tone similar to the NC-2’s with the added advantages of blend flexibility and less need to avoid striking the mag.

Of course, the disadvantages of such a pairing would be the extra gear (a blender and a stereo or stereo-to-Y cable) that would need to be paid for and schlepped around.
Old 10-27-2023, 07:31 AM
Charter Member

I have a HiFi in my 1957 J50. So I took it to an open mic last night with a big sound system. Sounded good in the monitors. No feedback. I made a cell phone recording out it the room. I'll process it later and post it somewhere. You can decide for yourself.
Old 10-27-2023, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FingahPickah View Post
Have you played the HiFi system with your "loud" band?
I haven't, sorry.

Couch Standards
Old 10-27-2023, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitaniac View Post
It’s interesting to me that you prefer the NC-2’s tone to the HiFi. Considering that a passive mag can be wired to the HiFi preamp’s auxiliary input, it would be possible to create a tone similar to the NC-2’s with the added advantages of blend flexibility and less need to avoid striking the mag.

Of course, the disadvantages of such a pairing would be the extra gear (a blender and a stereo or stereo-to-Y cable) that would need to be paid for and schlepped around.
Yesterday I got an NC-1 and did a temp install into another guitar. I can say that it needed eq (mostly a healthy mid cut) to get the sound I wanted, and what I get with the NC-2 (which requires no eq in my case). The NC-2 has a "mic" built in, and it seems to make a difference. Interestingly I don't use very much of the mic blend with the NC-2, but just having a bit makes a big difference.

Totally ymmv as it depends on what sound you're looking for, guitar, technique, situation, etc. The only thing I don't like about the NC-2 is I do have to pay attention to my strumming technique to avoid hitting it (which is clearly audible). The NC-1 also makes noise when you hit it, but not nearly the same volume so the mic circuit is part of the culprit.

As I said early, everything is a compromise...and I always go for the simplest setup possible on a gig.

“Sometimes science is more art than science…” - Rick Sanchez
Old 10-27-2023, 11:01 AM
Charter Member

OK - Here's a link to an mp3 from last night's Open Mic with my 1957 J50 and the Baggs HiFi in it

https://soundcloud.com/marshallsongs...social_sharing

The sound guy knew I was testing a different pickup. This was the first song I played. He tweaked the EQ on the pickup later on in the mini set. He told me afterwards that the pickup sounded mid-rangy. So he EQ'd the sound more bass and treble. . . . , And I think he screwed the pooch. The last song sounded a little crisper and more brittle , like a piezo, (which I really don't like at all). It wasn't bad, but I wish he would have just left it along.

But such are the vagaries of playing out with a sound man
Old 10-27-2023, 01:08 PM

Search for member Groberts and HIFI.

There is a post with a video from his gig (post no. 4):
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=671746

BTW, he is an incredibly nice guy and I’m sure he will answer your questions.
Martin D-18MD, Martin OM-21, Martin CEO-7, Martin J-40, Martin 000-1, Guild D-55, Guild D-140, Gibson SJ-200, Gibson Hummingbird, Gibson Frank Hannon Love Dove, Gibson Southern Jumbo, Furch Gc-SR Red Deluxe, Furch Yellow Masters Choice, Larrivee P-03ww, Kawaii piano, mandolines, drumsets, doublebass, Fender Jazzbass, ...
Old 10-27-2023, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
OK - Here's a link to an mp3 from last night's Open Mic with my 1957 J50 and the Baggs HiFi in it

https://soundcloud.com/marshallsongs...social_sharing

The sound guy knew I was testing a different pickup. This was the first song I played. He tweaked the EQ on the pickup later on in the mini set. He told me afterwards that the pickup sounded mid-rangy. So he EQ'd the sound more bass and treble. . . . , And I think he screwed the pooch. The last song sounded a little crisper and more brittle , like a piezo, (which I really don't like at all). It wasn't bad, but I wish he would have just left it along.

But such are the vagaries of playing out with a sound man
Listening for the guitar sound would have been easier if the guitar was up higher in the mix, but it helped that you were playing the same song as was featured in the EarthTap recording. This HiFi recording had more clarity and was more pleasing for my taste. On the other hand, I don’t doubt that the EarthTap is more adaptable to high volume situations.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification