The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 07-26-2023, 09:01 PM
Charter Member

Default Emerald X20 Versus X30 Amplified Comparison (Video)

I received my first Emerald X20 on Monday this week. My first carbon fiber guitar. It has the Graphtech Ghost Piezo and K&K PU combination. Each has its own volume knob inside the sound hole.

Since the 25% off sale was in place, I decided it was the best time to try the X30. Maybe it would suit me better? I figured with the contoured body sculpting and the beveled smooth armrest, it stands the best chance at providing comfort for such a large guitar. After playing the X20 a lot the past few days, the X30 still feels quite large. The comfort factor of the X20 is significantly better in physical terms. That said, the X30 acoustically is magical. It sounds warmer, richer, deeper and simply wonderful. On first blush however, I prefer the X20 overall. I bought it as a gigging cutaway acoustic for amplified shows.

All that said, here is a video comparison I made today. Plugged into my Bose L1 Pro 8. Recorded on a Zoom Q8N video recorder with its internal X/Y condenser mics.

My take away: The guitars sound very similar amplified. They are more different unplugged. But plugged into my Bose L1 Pro 8 tower, I can achieve a very similar tone. It sounded more different to me in the room than the recording shows. But some of that might be due to the larger, deeper sound I was hearing from the X30 soundhole along with the Bose amplified sound?

Collings D1 Traditional
Collings OM1C
Gibson EC Ebony Songwriter Custom
Emerald X20
Emerald X30
Martin OMC-28 Custom
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Fender 61 Wildwood 10 Strat
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC

www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 07-26-2023, 09:13 PM
Charter Member

I previously owned an X30 but never played it plugged in nor did I have the opportunity to do a side-by-side comparison. Plugged in the video produced very similar tone to my ear. However, when i owned the X30, I found it too boomy for my acoustic taste. Of course, your opinion may differ...
Old 07-26-2023, 10:03 PM
Charter Member

Both sound great! Minor difference with them plugged in - you did a good job in getting them set similarly. If anything, I found the X20 to be a bit more defined, but they were really close.
Old 07-26-2023, 10:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
I previously owned an X30 but never played it plugged in nor did I have the opportunity to do a side-by-side comparison. Plugged in the video produced very similar tone to my ear. However, when i owned the X30, I found it too boomy for my acoustic taste. Of course, your opinion may differ...
RP: Yeah, the X30 is huge and sounds like a Jumbo. I can see where many would prefer the X20 as it is more balanced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
Both sound great! Minor difference with them plugged in - you did a good job in getting them set similarly. If anything, I found the X20 to be a bit more defined, but they were really close.
Thanks Captain Jim. You validated what I was hearing too. In some cases, I felt the X30 might have had an edge in detail but listening back, they are way more similar than different and the X20 might actually have better definition.

The Ghost Piezo seems to add detail and bite where the K&K adds warmth. Blending both yields a really nice sound.
Collings D1 Traditional
Collings OM1C
Gibson EC Ebony Songwriter Custom
Emerald X20
Emerald X30
Martin OMC-28 Custom
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Fender 61 Wildwood 10 Strat
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC

www.heartsoulaz.com

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber