The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 01-01-2015, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartDay View Post
Well here is a shameless plug https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ai2d7TejjsA

This is a guitar I finished up earlier in the year and is being demoed by a very talented player acoustically in this video.
Stuart,

If I'm not mistaken, in this video the sound is transmitted via a pickup and not via a mic. As such, it's not a purely acoustic sound that we are hearing, is it?

Also, what are the strings that are being used here?
Old 01-01-2015, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archtop Guy View Post
I have a '46 and a '77 L-5. Golden era Gibson and Epiphone archtops were my first love. Welcome to the club. You have started a beautiful and fulfilling journey.

I also am a fan of modern archtops, which like is said above, are all influenced by D'Aquisto's work, whether the builders admit it or not. (Most admit it openly, and proudly, while those who do no should be considered suspect IMO!)

Here's an example of yours truly playing an x-braced, lightly built acoustic archtop. Made by Bryant Trenier, very strongly influenced by a D'Aquisto New Yorker Classic, but fortunately a lot more affordable.

There's a whole bunch of stuff on my YouTube channel, all played with approximately the same mid-skill-level!
That's just beautiful!
Thanks for sharing.
Old 01-01-2015, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkfan View Post
Stuart,

If I'm not mistaken, in this video the sound is transmitted via a pickup and not via a mic. As such, it's not a purely acoustic sound that we are hearing, is it?

Hey there, actually you're totally right. My apologies, didn't mean to mislead, we recorded that back in May and I simply forgot that Ken had blended the audio. I'd say its pretty close to full acoustic (recorded with a zoom h2 a couple feet off camera) but as you pointed out he also is recording direct and then blending the two. My mistake. Here is another video, if you're interested, that IS 100% pure acoustic recorded through my H2. It's actually fitting because in this video Nick is playing a tune that is a style you wouldn't typically hear played on an archtop. So I think it demonstrates the "contemporary" aspect well. Not sure why I didn't think to upload this one in the first place. Anyway, enjoy and sorry for the confusion. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LyB6P4VGc70
Old 01-01-2015, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Stuart,

PS- strings are d'addario ej22 nickel wound Jazz mediums (13)
Old 01-01-2015, 10:47 AM

Quote:
....I am introducing a new model this year at the Memphis Guitar Festival. Tonally it will be more "traditional", a little more punchy with a strong mid range and less overtone dynamics...
Is this the "forum" guitar...?
Old 01-01-2015, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Is this the "forum" guitar...?
Yea, over in the custom shop forum there is a build thread I started of this new model.
There are actually two instruments in that build thread. One is a fully acoustic and the other is a commission for a more electric with inset pickup.
Old 01-01-2015, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Hey there, actually you're totally right. My apologies, didn't mean to mislead, we recorded that back in May and I simply forgot that Ken had blended the audio. I'd say its pretty close to full acoustic (recorded with a zoom h2 a couple feet off camera) but as you pointed out he also is recording direct and then blending the two. My mistake. Here is another video, if you're interested, that IS 100% pure acoustic recorded through my H2. It's actually fitting because in this video Nick is playing a tune that is a style you wouldn't typically hear played on an archtop. So I think it demonstrates the "contemporary" aspect well. Not sure why I didn't think to upload this one in the first place. Anyway, enjoy and sorry for the confusion. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LyB6P4VGc70

Thanks for the clarification, Stuart. Mistakes get made. No apologies needed.

I like it when things are kept purely acoustical. The sound through a pickup somehow sounds somewhat "artificial" to me.

You make some beautiful guitars, btw.
Old 01-02-2015, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the clarification, Stuart. Mistakes get made. No apologies needed.

I like it when things are kept purely acoustical. The sound through a pickup somehow sounds somewhat "artificial" to me.

You make some beautiful guitars, btw.
I agree and
Thanks so much
Old 01-06-2015, 11:38 AM

Thank you all for the replies & links, plenty of food for thought.
As I live in central Europe I do have a little less opportunity to try out guitars than perhaps players living in the states,also we certainly have less builders to choose from.
Old 01-06-2015, 12:51 PM

Driver8, you might like to check this comparison video too - especially for the "not so high end" options.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=dud01aQ1oI0
Herrmann Weissenborn
Recording King RP-10
Recording King RG-35-SN Lapsteel
Maton 425 12-string
ESP 400 series telecaster
Eastman T485
Deering Americana Banjo
My Youtube
Old 01-07-2015, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Wow!!

That's a fantastic comparison! I can now understand exactly what you mean! Very helpful. Thanks so much!
Agreed. I loved watching this comparison.
Old 02-15-2015, 05:47 AM

I thought I might add an update to the original question regarding pure acoustic arch tops.
Thanks largely to all your input I have been in contact with a few of the builders mentioned above & have had a very friendly & encouraging response with lots of ideas & advice on which would be the best way to proceed. Some of the sound clips recommended have been especially good
Hopefully early in the summer I will be able to move on to the next stage.

The most encouraging aspect has been the amount of choice we have now & the enthusiasm of all the builders contacted,seems like we truly are living in another golden age of guitar making.
Many thanks once again
Old 02-25-2015, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver8 View Post
After a break of nearly 20 years of playing flat-top guitars I returned to owning a pure acoustic archtop which I am enjoying immensely. Luckily I was able to find an extremely well preserved post war L5 at a very reasonable price. It's lovely to play & with a little adjustment in playing style has become positively addictive.

However,I have read various people saying that modern archtop makers are building instruments which come closer to the sound you can obtain from a fine flat-top,would this be due to the modern archtop having X bracing or is it tuning the top specifically so?
Would anyone have any experience in which builders are going in this direction or indeed any other thoughts & advice. I have a good idea of the sound I'm looking for.

Just as as coda, the L5 will stay with me till they close my case lid down, as my daughter said, "that guitar is history Dad".
This is a great demonstrator for the miriad variations in tone from some wonderful builders. From the album, 'Masterpiece Guitars' and played by steve Howe and Martin Taylor they are, in order; constant rhythm, D'Aquisto Centaura, then:

Hollenbeck 0.16
Monteleone 0.32
Gibson Super 400 0.49
Grimes 1.04
Bozo 1.21
Nickerson 1.37
Manzer 1.53
Comins 2.09
Megas 2.25
Triggs 2.41
Buscarino 2.58
D'Angelico 3.14
Zeidler 3.30
Lacy 3.46
Fender D'Aquisto 4.02
Walker 4.18
Campellone 4.34
Benedetto 4.51

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbYd...ae-dgw&index=9
Old 02-25-2015, 06:50 AM

That was fantastic, thanks for sharing!
Old 02-25-2015, 05:15 PM

Quote:
This video is not available

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops