The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-20-2014, 04:38 PM

Default Which Guitar to Amplify?

As I wrote in a NGD thread last week, I've taken up the Cult of Lowden in very short order, selling my d28 of 37 years, consigning my other dread, and buying first a 2004 F25, then a Richard Thompson Sig. (I'm a longtime electric player who's also trying to lighten the load on a bad back.) I've settled on and purchased a K&K Trinity system, with the thought that I could mix in a bit of air through the internal mic while relying primarily on transducers. (I had an internal battery with an older b-band system on the Martin and wanted to avoid that, so nixed the Amulet.)

So my question is not which pickup to purchase in a given guitar but, rather, which guitar to put the pickup in. The F25 is a logical choice in a way, since it's less valuable and easier to imagine gigging with. It's very easy to play and has fantastic overtones. Conversely, the RT is a louder, purer and punchier guitar and will probably be with me for many years to come. If I were to do solo fingerstyle, the RT would be the very easy choice. But I play rock, blues and R&B covers, with just a bit of Celtic (and bluegrass) vibe thrown in, in an acoustic/electric trio and am leaning toward going with the F25, since this is my first serious foray into acoustic amplification. What would you do?

Thanks!
Old 06-20-2014, 05:45 PM

I put pickups in all my guitars...
Old 06-20-2014, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akafloyd View Post
I put pickups in all my guitars...

I'm with AKAFLOYD
Old 06-20-2014, 09:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pstarr View Post
…What would you do?

Thanks!
Hi pstarr…

What I did was have K&K dual source rigs (Pure mini plus internal mic) installed on all 4 of my acoustics, and then I run outboard blenders. Best rigs I've ever run, and they not only sound great, they are flexible, easy to setup, and reliable.

Hope you find the pickup rig of your dreams…

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 06-21-2014, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi pstarr…

What I did was have K&K dual source rigs (Pure mini plus internal mic) installed on all 4 of my acoustics, and then I run outboard blenders. Best rigs I've ever run, and they not only sound great, they are flexible, easy to setup, and reliable.

Hope you find the pickup rig of your dreams…

Thanks, LJ. Your posts and Doug Young's tests are what made me decide to go the dual source route with K&K in the first place. I look forward to this first real foray into acoustic amplification.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification