The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-17-2014, 12:14 PM

Default Is my Marshall AS50 Ramp worth repairing?

Hi. I'm the new kid here. PLEASE Don't give me an atomic wedgie. Thanks

Anyway, I have a 10-13 year old Marshall AS50R amp that has served me well.

But recently the sound has been cutting out TOTALLY fairy often . It usually comes right back when you shut it off and turn it back on, but it happens enough that I really can't rely on it.

( I also play electric and use it as an external speaker for my tres cool and tiny Yamaha THR10 electric guitar amp that has very cool solid state effects. An acoustic amp probably isn't the best thing for this purpose, but I only use it at home. I live in a 1 bedroom apartment and I have 12 guitars in here and 2 other small amps besides the mid-size Marshall (and thousands of CDs and LPs)
In other words, if I was to acquire another non-tiny amp my wife would filet me and have me for dinner.)

Anyway, if anyone can offer any knowledge of what the problem might be with the Marshall AS50Rand what it would cost to fix, I will be extremely grateful!

steve

Last edited by steve(thelil); 06-17-2014 at 12:38 PM.
Old 06-17-2014, 02:50 PM

I had an old Marshall Valvestate combo that started cutting out while I was playing. I removed the amp from the cab and it worked fine. I suspect a component or PCB land that would open with the vibration. Not worth fixing but I did turn the combo into a head and it works fine now.
You might try removing the amp from cab and see if it does the same.
Also try cleaning the effects loop jacks. Even if you don't use them it can cause a similar effect. Use electronic component cleaner from Radio Shack.
Old 06-18-2014, 07:05 AM

Thanks AXEL276 . I appreciate the help!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification