The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-11-2014, 09:07 PM

I think they stopped doing that because it was deemed dangerous.
Old 06-12-2014, 06:05 AM

From an electrical design point , there's NO reason you couldn't have a 110v/60Hz outlet on the amp. It could tap A/C BEFORE it goes to the amp. You would have to be careful as to how much current you'll be asking the cord to carry.
Old 06-12-2014, 07:55 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesolationAngel View Post
So I tried to work my through their website but eventually gave up and thought I'd just ask outright... how does this product deal with different pedal requirements? So, for instance, my board uses Strymons which are pretty persnickety about how they are powered. I have some 12v pedals, some 9v... I noticed that the pedal snake produces 500ma which is plenty to drive the pedals. But I couldn't see anything but 9v outputs. Of course I could have missed it on that website.

Thanks for any insight.
My pedalboard has a few 9V pedals and one 12v pedal, and I run 2 separate Plines within the snake. I use a 3rd party power supply at the amp end to power the 12V. You can connect your power supply to the pedalsnake pigtail.
Martin Guitar Certified Online Dealer
Martin Blueridge
Martins & More Podcast
Old 06-13-2014, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aknow View Post
The blackface Fender amps from the 1960's did have an electrical outlet.

And I really miss the outlet on my DRRI.

1984 Carvin LB-40 bass
1986 Carvin DC-125 two humbucker
1996 Taylor 412
La Patrie Concert
2012 American Standard Telecaster
1981 Carvin DC 100
Harley Benton LP JR DC
Bushman Delta Frost & Suzuki harmonicas
Artley flute
Six-plus decade old vocal apparatus
Old 06-14-2014, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwstout View Post
From an electrical design point , there's NO reason you couldn't have a 110v/60Hz outlet on the amp. It could tap A/C BEFORE it goes to the amp. You would have to be careful as to how much current you'll be asking the cord to carry.
That's the problem, you can never count on people to be careful with anything
Old 06-15-2014, 06:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahitijack View Post
an electrical out let to power pedals and assorted other widgets? I hope I'm not the first to think of this, but it would seem simpler. I suspect there may be electrical reasons.
Hi T-jack...

My amp sits on a stand 30"-35" off the floor, 3-5 feet behind me. Bringing a drop cord from there to a pedal rack etc would require a 15-20 extension cord from the back of the amp, to the floor, offset around my station, hopefully not under my feet - and I already have issues not wanting cables under my feet.

I much prefer to bring power from in front of me to power anything which is in front of me. So I don't see a plug-in on an amp advantageous.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 06-15-2014, 08:26 AM

I use a fan on stage and run my board through this

http://www.amazon.com/Air-King-9552-...s=Air+king+fan
Anderson Crowdster Plus
Anderson Crowdster 2+
Takamine EF-360S
Old 06-26-2014, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahitijack View Post
an electrical out let to power pedals and assorted other widgets? I hope I'm not the first to think of this, but it would seem simpler. I suspect there may be electrical reasons.

Pretty doggone easy problem to solve, especially if your amp has one of the new IEC power cables. Just get a Y-cable, chop off one of the Y ends, go to Home Depot and get a grounded female plug, put that on, and you're golden. It's very easy to set up a system so that you have just one cord running between your pedal board and amp in this fashion. Could not possibly take you 30 minutes plus a quick order online for a Y-cable.
Old 06-28-2014, 03:21 PM

A tube amp with 6V heater windings could power a bridge rectifier and filter to make an on-board DC supply. With 10V unregulated you could easily run it thru a 7809 regulator IC and have 9V rectified and filtered. As far as cabling goes, 18 gauge wire should run a dozen pedals or more without an appreciable drop from the rear of the stage to the front.
Gibson Firebird non-rev '65
Moll 16" Flat Top prototype/custom
Fender USA Strat Deluxe
Wynn Mandolin
Conklin 5-string Century Bass
Conklin 5-string Fretless Custom
Englehart Acoustic Upright
Coxster Electronics Upright (mine)
Fender Ukulele
Dulcimer, Tenor Banjo, Kantele, Psaltry . . . .
Old 06-28-2014, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post
Both my 1973 Fender Deluxe Reverb and my 1980 Yamaha GL100-112 have AC outlets on the back panels... comes in quite handy, but ONLY for low volume applications IF you are powering up another amplifier!

As someone replied, the AC supplied from the back of an amp somehow is not as strong and consistent as from a wall outlet... and I don't know why, but I do know that I played a gig once where outlets were at a premium, and so had to plug my amp into the back of the other guitarist's... after a short time, I started experiencing what many would call a "brown out"... my amp still worked and all, but it was very weak and fizzy sounding...

Seems to work just fine for the 9v adapter from my pedals though...
This is a bit surprising, because in these amps the accessory outlet is tapped straight from the incoming AC from the wall- not from the power supply of the amp. As long as the wall outlet can provide enough current to power all the devices, it shouldn't be a problem.

That said, it is also possible to introduce hum because of ground loops. I think that's the best reason not to use the accessory outlet for something like a pedal board.

1943 Gibson J-45
Martin Custom Shop 000-28 Authentic Aged 1937
Voyage Air VAOM-4
IBG Epiphone J-200 Aged Antique

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification