The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-08-2014, 12:30 AM

Default SR Jam 400

I'm considering buying a Jam 400 made by SR Technology. Does anyone have one? Do you like it? Where'd did you buy it? How much did it cost?

Thanks in advance.

----

Just realized that SR is also sold as Schertler. Under that name I saw that they can be bought lots of places and go for about $1300.

Last edited by jacm81; 06-08-2014 at 04:17 AM. Reason: New Info
Old 06-08-2014, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalbert1 View Post
I'm considering buying a Jam 400 made by SR Technology. Does anyone have one? Do you like it? Where'd did you buy it? How much did it cost?

Thanks in advance.

----

Just realized that SR is also sold as Schertler. Under that name I saw that they can be bought lots of places and go for about $1300.
SR is Schertler. Up until about three years ago, Schertler owned 50% of Sr Technology. They then bought out the company. All the amps are now branded as Schertler. It's a Swiss company, but the amps are made in Italy at the SR plant.

I don't have a 400, but I do have a 150 Pro. Great gear.
Old 06-08-2014, 08:21 PM

I don't have the Jam 400 but I have the Jam 150, and I love it. I bought it here:
http://www.thefrettedfrog.com/ShopWi...mplifiers.html
Old 06-08-2014, 08:24 PM
Charter Member

I've played through one for about an hour....ooey...goooey saweeetness is all I can say. Have contemplated getting one after selling my Genz benz.
Old 06-09-2014, 09:20 AM

I have a Jam 400 and play through it often, gigging two times a week. I like the amp a lot and bought it for $1200. after much research using this forum and many other places. I especially like and use the multi input mixer.
But I will say that without a preamp the Jam 400 is not good enough for my sound. I have used a Raven Labs pre, a Tonelabs PreZp, and a BBE Acoustimax. All help the Jam 400 sound much better IMHO.
Because the Jam 400 has a horn instead of a tweeter, the acoustic guitar tone is not what it could be using just the Jam 400. Try preamps.
By the way, the Jam 400 is now being sold under the Godin name, a company that has made fine guitars for quite some time. They are now the US distributer for Shertler.
Old 06-10-2014, 12:40 AM

Use it, and LOVE it. It's the best self contained unit for vocals that I have found. With certain guitar pickups it needs a pre, with others it doesn't. Using the resonance channel is best for guitar. I have tried so many amps it's not funny, and the JAM 400 is my main gigger, although I use a Dtar preamp for my guitar signal. I've been putting at least 5 3-hour gigs on it a week. Here it is at my day resort gig in Deer Valley Utah. As you can, see I use two Shure Beta 87 microphones and they sound great through the Jam 400!

Old 06-15-2014, 03:28 PM

Talking SR Jam 400

I wanted the Jam 400 Sound & power but not weight, after back problems ! I found that an SR Jam 150, (mine is the Stereo Version with input Trim & Pan controls) + the powered 150W extension Speaker & the compact Active Sub SW 250 gives me a truly great quality sound with plenty of Headroom & the options of 150/400W Mono or 300/550W Stereo depending on size of Venue etc , I have used this for Acoustic & Electric Guitar, Bass Guitar / Double Bass, DP/ Keyboards , Vocals & Backing Tracks & it handles it all brilliantly, it is very easy to carry,( even the Sub is around half the weight of a Jam 400 ) & set up, however I find that on many Gigs the Jam 150 on it's own is plenty loud enough & I have the option of running Stereo which of course you can't with just one Jam 400. Hope this helps.
Old 06-15-2014, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Septicus Rivet View Post
I wanted the Jam 400 Sound & power but not weight, after back problems ! I found that an SR Jam 150, (mine is the Stereo Version with input Trim & Pan controls) + the powered 150W extension Speaker & the compact Active Sub SW 250 gives me a truly great quality sound with plenty of Headroom & the options of 150/400W Mono or 300/550W Stereo depending on size of Venue etc , I have used this for Acoustic & Electric Guitar, Bass Guitar / Double Bass, DP/ Keyboards , Vocals & Backing Tracks & it handles it all brilliantly, it is very easy to carry,( even the Sub is around half the weight of a Jam 400 ) & set up, however I find that on many Gigs the Jam 150 on it's own is plenty loud enough & I have the option of running Stereo which of course you can't with just one Jam 400. Hope this helps.
Can you tell me more about this active sub your using?? links
Old 06-20-2014, 11:48 AM

Default Jam 400/150

The Sub I use is the SR STW 250, 250 Watts RMS, 10" Woofer, I think it is around 18kg, they also do/did ( I think it is discontinued !) an SW 180 Watt 10" which is even lighter & there are still a few of those around at the 'right price' . If you go down this route I strongly recommend getting the Jam 150 Stereo as these have Input Gain (Trim) Controls which helps iron out the main criticism of the normal Jam 150 & they also have Stereo pan on the main Inputs. Using this set up also gives you the option of 1 or both 150s on stands , I tend to use the Jam sitting on top of the Sub so I can still access the Mixer & the Extension Speaker on a stand to project the Sound .
Old 06-20-2014, 09:32 PM

- SR is no more. Everything is Schertler now.
- Godin was involved when it was SR. Now it's Eastman as the US rep for Schertler. Emailed Eastman with a question on a preamp once. Very prompt and accurate reply.
Old 06-21-2014, 10:00 AM

Default Jam 400/150

That's true, all SR stuff is now Shertler but they have been joined at the hip for years with Shertler amps being made in the same Factory as SR ! Interestingly Shertler make a 200Watt 10" Compact Sub that appears almost identical to the SR SW 180 Watt 10" Compact Sub, even down to the Cooling Fins !! I wonder if the SR is actually 200 Watts as 180 is a slightly unusual figure ( most other SR Amp power ratings are in increments of 50 or 100, ) but was then priced a bit Cheaper than the 'more powerful' Shertler?
Old 06-21-2014, 04:36 PM

Default Jam 400/150

Sorry that should read Schertler not Shertler, did it in rush B4 Gig & didn't check it !!!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
jam 400, sr technology