The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 02-20-2024, 01:28 AM

Default EDIT (added mando and lap steel) Carly Simon Cover Anticipation

This is the second time in a few months that I've been sick. I got over Covid (almost, still have a little cough) about a month ago, and today I started developing the stuffiness of a cold. I had to cancel my band practice so I didn't get the other guys sick. It sucked because this is an all original band and I was so looking forward to finishing up our last few songs so that we can do some showcases.

So what did I do? I arranged an old Carly Simon song into a song that I can play with my duet. The vocal is a little a weak because of my cold. But I sure had fun arranging this into my style...

WHY THE EDIT???? I was feeling a little better today so I actually re-sung my low harmony part, added a higher part, removed the slide guitar, and wrote some lapsteel and mandolin parts (my duet partner plays both instruments equally well so I thought I would give him choices for when we learn this song). Knowing him, he will play the mando on the verses and the lapsteel on the choruses and ending!

notes...

Cover of Carly Simon's Anticipation with my 1987 Guild X170 on electric lead, 1956 Oahu Lap Steel guitar, Webber Roundbody acoustic for the rhythm guitar, and my Gibson F5G mandolin. The electric guitar and lap steel are going through my Mesa Fillmore 50 amp (and one channel of the acoustic guitar which has a Schertler AG6 magnetic pickup and S-Mic in it). The acoustic guitar and mandolin are mic'd with an AKG C414EB. All vocals recorded with Rode Classic II microphone. I heard this song a few weeks ago and thought it would be a great one to cover. It brought back some great memories for me.

Last edited by rockabilly69; 02-21-2024 at 04:06 AM.
Old 02-20-2024, 09:41 AM

Very nice !!!

You sound good with a cold
Old 02-20-2024, 10:36 AM

Different, but a nice take.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 02-20-2024, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlyKat View Post
Very nice !!!

You sound good with a cold
Thank you, I'll have to re-record it when the cold is over and compare notes

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
Different, but a nice take.
Yes it's a bit different Thanks!
Old 02-21-2024, 11:04 AM
Charter Member

Hi Daniel,

That was awesome! I love your arrangement -- really well done. I can't hear the cold in your voice, so you did a good job of masking this, though I know I listened to the edited version.

I do most certainly remember Carly Simon's version of this song. Your take on this is terrific!

I had to look up the Guild X170 to see what it is. Cool guitar!

- Glenn
Old 02-21-2024, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Hi Daniel,

That was awesome! I love your arrangement -- really well done. I can't hear the cold in your voice, so you did a good job of masking this, though I know I listened to the edited version.

I do most certainly remember Carly Simon's version of this song. Your take on this is terrific!

I had to look up the Guild X170 to see what it is. Cool guitar!

- Glenn
Thanks, if it passes the Glenn test, than I must have done pretty good

As for Guild X170 guitars, I learned about them through a guy on the web called Gary Donahue (he goes by the name GAD on the forums). He is very knowledgeable about all things Guild, and in one of his blog posts, he said his X170 might have had some of the best tones he's heard from a Guild of many that he's reviewed. He said it's as good (or better) than his X500 which I know that he loves.

Here's the blog post that I am referring to....

https://www.gad.net/Blog/2017/01/12/1994-guild-x-170/

So that started me on a hunt of finding one, and it had to be before 1994, because after that, they changed the pickups. The original Guild pickups are called HB1s, and they are coveted due to their lower output and beautiful clean tone. I love them. The guitar itself is a bit thinner than many archtops at 2 1/2" wide, and it has a block under the bridge which connects the top to the back so it's not quite fully hollow, and that makes it pretty feedback resistant.

Last edited by rockabilly69; 02-21-2024 at 01:28 PM.
Old 02-21-2024, 02:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
Thanks, if it passes the Glenn test, than I must have done pretty good

As for Guild X170 guitars, I learned about them through a guy on the web called Gary Donahue (he goes by the name GAD on the forums). He is very knowledgeable about all things Guild, and in one of his blog posts, he said his X170 might have had some of the best tones he's heard from a Guild of many that he's reviewed. He said it's as good (or better) than his X500 which I know that he loves.

Here's the blog post that I am referring to....

https://www.gad.net/Blog/2017/01/12/1994-guild-x-170/

So that started me on a hunt of finding one, and it had to be before 1994, because after that, they changed the pickups. The original Guild pickups are called HB1s, and they are coveted due to their lower output and beautiful clean tone. I love them. The guitar itself is a bit thinner than many archtops at 2 1/2" wide, and it has a block under the bridge which connects the top to the back so it's not quite fully hollow, and that makes it pretty feedback resistant.

Wow, Daniel!

What a gorgeous burst and top on that guitar! What a prize that is!!

And I bet that does sound good!

- Glenn
Old 02-27-2024, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Wow, Daniel!

What a gorgeous burst and top on that guitar! What a prize that is!!

And I bet that does sound good!

- Glenn
Sorry Glenn, this post fell away fast so I didn't see the response. The funny thing about the top is that if you turn it slightly the flame disappears, but fortunately the pretty burst is always there.

And BTW, I've been playing Anticipation live for the last week solo. And to do it like I recorded it, I have to tune my Nick Lucas down a whole step. The guitar takes on a different character when tuned like that. I've been doing it at the end of my second set, and it's been going over gangbusters, people just love to sing along with me on the last section where I repeat "these are the good old days"!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell