The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 10-08-2018, 12:49 PM

Now that the cast is off and I'm playing (carefully) again, I've gone back to wearing my Apple Watch on my L wrist (it was disconcerting to have it on my dominant hand all those weeks). But a couple of weeks ago I traded in my Series 2 GPS-only for a Series 4 with cellular. I've had arrhythmias crop up when I got near my target heart rate during training the past couple of years--to the extent that my primary care doc advised me not to attend a certain music conference in the Blue Ridge where I'd have been required to park at the bottom of a steep hill and drag my instruments & suitcase up to the conference center; he was concerned I might fall and break something (and not my guitar). We even discussed a Holter monitor, but the episodes didn't happen frequently enough to warrant it.

When my husband (a cardiologist) read about the watch's second heart sensor and upcoming EKG app (which can send a single-lead EKG as a PDF to one's doctor), he said I had his blessing to trade up. (Apple knocked $115 off the price of the 4 because I traded the 2 in).

But the real reason I love the 4 (besides the LTE, altimeter, larger display and compatibility with my collection of bands, and double the storage for my music library)? The built-in fall detection. Yup--unlike those ugly plastic "Help! I've fallen and I can't get up" pendants that scream "I'm an old fart" there's no monthly monitoring fee or household transceiver, and you don't have to tell it you've fallen because the gyroscope senses that. It will ask if you want it to dial 911, and you can either do it yourself by pushing a button, tell it no, or if you don't respond within a minute it will dial it and send your coordinates.

That's important to me because the reason I've gigged so seldom since Feb. was that I fell twice--leading to the orthopedic surgery that kept my fretting hand "imprisoned" for weeks. (Gory details on a separate thread). Still have to take my watch off to play, in order to optimize wrist flexion & rotation--had a false start to a song yesterday when I couldn't bend my wrist enough to make a certain movable chord up to the 12th fret (which chord is essential to the riff that forms the intro, solo & coda). But I took it off, stuffed it in my pocket, and all was well.

http://www.sandyandina.com

-------------------------
Gramann Rapahannock, 7 Taylors, 4 Martins, 2 Gibsons, 2 V-A, Larrivee Parlour, Gretsch Way Out West, Fender P-J Bass & Mustang, Danelectro U2, Peavey fretless bass, 8 dulcimers, 2 autoharps, 2 banjos, 2 mandolins, 3 ukes

I cried because I had no shoes.....but then I realized I won’t get blisters.

Last edited by Chicago Sandy; 10-08-2018 at 12:55 PM.
Old 10-08-2018, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Sandy View Post
Now that the cast is off and I'm playing (carefully) again, I've gone back to wearing my Apple Watch on my L wrist (it was disconcerting to have it on my dominant hand all those weeks). But a couple of weeks ago I traded in my Series 2 GPS-only for a Series 4 with cellular. I've had arrhythmias crop up when I got near my target heart rate during training the past couple of years--to the extent that my primary care doc advised me not to attend a certain music conference in the Blue Ridge where I'd have been required to park at the bottom of a steep hill and drag my instruments & suitcase up to the conference center; he was concerned I might fall and break something (and not my guitar). We even discussed a Holter monitor, but the episodes didn't happen frequently enough to warrant it.

When my husband (a cardiologist) read about the watch's second heart sensor and upcoming EKG app (which can send a single-lead EKG as a PDF to one's doctor), he said I had his blessing to trade up. (Apple knocked $115 off the price of the 4 because I traded the 2 in).

But the real reason I love the 4 (besides the LTE, altimeter, larger display and compatibility with my collection of bands, and double the storage for my music library)? The built-in fall detection. Yup--unlike those ugly plastic "Help! I've fallen and I can't get up" pendants that scream "I'm an old fart" there's no monthly monitoring fee or household transceiver, and you don't have to tell it you've fallen because the gyroscope senses that. It will ask if you want it to dial 911, and you can either do it yourself by pushing a button, tell it no, or if you don't respond within a minute it will dial it and send your coordinates.

That's important to me because the reason I've gigged so seldom since Feb. was that I fell twice--leading to the orthopedic surgery that kept my fretting hand "imprisoned" for weeks. (Gory details on a separate thread). Still have to take my watch off to play, in order to optimize wrist flexion & rotation--had a false start to a song yesterday when I couldn't bend my wrist enough to make a certain movable chord up to the 12th fret (which chord is essential to the riff that forms the intro, solo & coda). But I took it off, stuffed it in my pocket, and all was well.
Does it have a watch function?
Old 10-09-2018, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Scott View Post
Does it have a watch function?
Coming from a guy who loves his Swiss and antique Bulova watches..... Yes, and they are really good watches.

I have different watch faces configured with different functions and colors that are ideal for the activity, time of day, or in some cases mode of dress.
Old 10-09-2018, 09:13 AM

Here's my everyday watch....

Old 10-09-2018, 09:57 AM

I carry a Casio watch strapped to my backpack every day - everywhere.

If I ever wear one on my wrist again, on land it, will be one of two (if I can find them):

My dad's old Omega; 1958 Seamaster.

1971 Seiko - model(?) orange-faced self-wind.

I wear a Casio sports-proof rubber digital for snorkeling.

I am also fortunate to have four old family pocket watches. Useless but pretty.
Old 01-24-2019, 05:37 AM

I just picked up this Bertucci. Awesome field watch.

Titanium, Sapphire, Plain & Simple.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 01-24-2019, 06:43 AM
Charter Member

It’s funny, I loved nice watches all my life and rotated between 3 or 4 for over 40 years. I felt “naked” without one on my wrist. I stopped wearing a watch the day I retired and haven’t worn a watch in over 3 years. All the batteries are dead and I don’t miss wearing one for a second. I use my phone if I need to know the time.
Old 01-24-2019, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasome View Post
....I stopped wearing a watch the day I retired....
Pretty much the same here, but I'll wear it once in a while. I've got a nice Skagen blue face with a mesh band. Very thin! The mesh started to come apart and I finally looked to replace the band. Got a nice black mesh band off ebay for something like 7 bucks. Thought it'd be cool. It wasn't! Went back and ordered another one in silver. That works....

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2011 Guild GAD D125-12 NT -- 
1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
2012 Epiphone Dot CH
 -- 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page
Old 01-24-2019, 09:42 PM

Just picked up me a Casio Rangeman and it’s my favorite watch now. It’ll do just about anything you need a watch to do!!

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2
Old 01-24-2019, 09:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnfiddler View Post
Just picked up me a Casio Rangeman and it’s my favorite watch now. It’ll do just about anything you need a watch to do!!
Curious, does that come in a 4 wheel drive model
Old 01-24-2019, 09:49 PM

Quote:
... and is that 'actual size' and is the clutch heavy?

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird

Last edited by Brucebubs; 01-24-2019 at 10:39 PM.
Old 01-24-2019, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Is that the one with that new time travel capability?

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2011 Guild GAD D125-12 NT -- 
1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
2012 Epiphone Dot CH
 -- 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page
Old 01-25-2019, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Sandy View Post

Sandy,

Last week I learned a high school classmate was found smashed into his bloody face soon enough and close enough to survive the heart attack and get hauled to the hospital. I could not help but think about the fall detection and the ECG because they've also had problems keeping the heart rate stable. He was asked if he was aware of a-fib but he was not aware. Basically he lived the two features brought to Series 4 but was lucky to have the incident in a garage where someone came upon him right away. What would have happened at his rural home?

A few weeks in I have to agree on the larger face and band collection. I love the extra fields and larger display of classic faces. With 4 family members in the Apple Watch thing we have some fun trading bands.

The other thing is Series 4 is just fast. It really does appear to have about twice the speed a 3 has. The crown works for heartbeat even if you're not using the ECG app so you can get a measurement really fast if you're wondering about a peak during exercise or your recovery rate.

I'm also very pleased with the Office 365 and other notifications. I'm less a slave or tied to work issues with the Series 4 and LTE. I get critical work messages. It's stress relief to not have to carry my phone all the time and satisfy work demands.

More and more I think I should find out if my kids want my nice mechanical watches some day or sell them now.

These are Apple stock images but ones I use often.

I keep versions of the Series 4 info graph for a quick swipe to concentrate on calendar, heart rate or stock market in center. They've squeezed enough pixels in to make that very useful for my old eyes. If I have distance only contacts or sunglasses I can still read the important stuff.

Yes my favorite Swiss watch matches about anything but it's fun to make this one match or complement your day's outfit or watch band.

No need for my bifocals here. Also easy to adjust the color to be best for your circumstances or outfit.

Old 01-25-2019, 09:11 AM

I wear the Iwatch 4 since I am 69
Old 01-25-2019, 11:36 AM

I have some really nice watches including one very expensive Citizens. However I wear my Fitbit 99% of time now because it tracks my steps and heart rate.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic