The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-22-2014, 12:08 PM

Default Any feedback on this amp

looking to pick up an acoustic amp for the house. Saw this one and it seemed decent for the price. any feedback or input is appreciated http://www.amazon.com/UltraSound-Dea.../dp/B005L91MMK
Old 04-22-2014, 12:19 PM

Good choice, yet there's an updated version of the same amp, w/ capability for microphone and guitar.
Old 04-22-2014, 02:12 PM

Default Any feedback on this amp

Always amused by thread titles such as this... You never quite know what the actual question will be...
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 04-22-2014, 02:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw1222 View Post
looking to pick up an acoustic amp for the house. Saw this one and it seemed decent for the price. any feedback or input is appreciated http://www.amazon.com/UltraSound-Dea.../dp/B005L91MMK
Hi jdw...

Awesome amp, and definitely cut from the same mold as the AG-50 (DS-4). It has 3 way tone plus presence controls.

The next level up (AG-15M) has two channels (XLR in, and ¼" in), plus DI (direct box output) options. XLR & ¼" output options on this model.

I'd step up to the AG-15M (I own both). Places sell the AG-15M model for $139-$149.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 04-22-2014, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieterh View Post
Always amused by thread titles such as this... You never quite know what the actual question will be...
yeah. the wording should have been better. i thought about that after i posted. Maybe askign for comments would have been less confusing

thanks for the replies!
Old 04-22-2014, 06:51 PM

anything else to look at in this price range. ABout to pull the trigger and get one on the way!
Old 04-22-2014, 08:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
anything else to look at in this price range. ABout to pull the trigger and get one on the way!
Hi jdw...

Plenty of practice amps in the under $100 category, but none that are stage worthy, nor that produce good tone. The UltraSound AG-15 is a sleeper in this category, and a lot of bang for the buck.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 06-18-2014, 07:23 PM

got a question. Never had an amp so not sure whats going on. But whenever I turn on the amp I get a slight buzz/noise through the speaker . I swapped cords so thats not it, and it does it with different guitars, but i can make it go away by touching the cord/jack where it plugs into the amp. With slight pressure from my finger it goes silent, but as soon as I move my finger I get the noise again.
Old 06-18-2014, 07:32 PM
Guest 728

Quote:
got a question. Never had an amp so not sure whats going on. But whenever I turn on the amp I get a slight buzz/noise through the speaker . I swapped cords so thats not it, and it does it with different guitars, but i can make it go away by touching the cord/jack where it plugs into the amp. With slight pressure from my finger it goes silent, but as soon as I move my finger I get the noise again.
I'm no electrical genius, but I know it's normal for an electric guitar to generate some hum until you touch the strings - since acoustic pickups aren't grounded the same way, it goes to follow that touching the jack would have the same effect.

It could be caused by any number of sources of interference. Try putting the amp in a different room, or turning off any computers and flourescent lighting in the room where your amp currently is.
Old 06-19-2014, 08:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hi jdw...

Get a ground lifting plug adapter (under a buck at the local box store) which converts three to two pins and it should take care of it. It is the wiring (or something else on the same circuit as the amp) causing the grounding 60 cycle hum.

I carry them with all my amp/gear and have for over 30 years. Life saver…

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

Old 06-19-2014, 10:22 AM

perfect, thanks to both of you for the suggestions. i will try the adapter without the ground pin. Thanks!! That hum is driving me crazy
Old 06-21-2014, 05:54 AM
Charter Member

One quick thought on the ultrasound amp, which by the way is truly unbeatable. Lots of people really dont get the difference between the ag15 and ag15m, so make sure you specifya nd if you buy online give them a call... I had a buddy who bought the 15m but got shipped a 15, and even the link you posted to amazon shows a pic of a 15 instead of a 15m. You can tell by the shape, the 15 m is longer because it has an extra input jack andvolume knob for themic channel. The m gives you a LOT more utility for very little extra money.

Grab one, you will never look back.
Old 06-21-2014, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi jdw...

Get a ground lifting plug adapter (under a buck at the local box store) which converts three to two pins and it should take care of it. It is the wiring (or something else on the same circuit as the amp) causing the grounding 60 cycle hum.

I carry them with all my amp/gear and have for over 30 years. Life saver…

That ground plug is there as a safety in case a wire shorts out in your amp. When you remove it from the circuit you take the risk of shocking or electrocuting yourself.

By using the adaptor you lose the hum, but there is some risk involved.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification