The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-31-2013, 06:18 PM

Default The TC GNatural??

I'm am in a quandary....TC G Natural??
Or an Acoustic Pedal board?
Or both??

I am curious if any of you are satisfied with the G Natural. It is costly, but a good acoustic board can be much more.
Currently, I use a Dtar solstice as my preamp, a G major for effects which is inline, and a Lexicon m350 for effect reverb, thru the effects loop of the solstice. And then into a Shen Pro amp.

I want to move away from the rackmount and have a good pedal board, which I think would be fun, but costly...Should I just get a TC GNatural and go with it?? Or build that perfect board that takes years to get wired to your taste?

Thank you for any advice. If you ask what guitars will be going thru it or what onboard electronics will I be using?? My answer is yes...humbled by gas. Thank you -- Peace.
Old 01-01-2014, 10:41 AM

I have tried the G Natural in a store some years ago. I was primarily interested for Chorus and Reverb for my acoustic. I tried it with my own guitar (Martin OMC Aura) and I decided to go for separate pedals since I would never need many of the effects of the G Natural.

Instead I got the Fishman AFX Chorus and Reverb for the same price (600 euro). It is just two effects but the quality was much much higher since the G Natural gave a too much "plastic" sound to my ears.
Old 01-01-2014, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwolf View Post
I have tried the G Natural in a store some years ago. I was primarily interested for Chorus and Reverb for my acoustic. I tried it with my own guitar (Martin OMC Aura) and I decided to go for separate pedals since I would never need many of the effects of the G Natural.

Instead I got the Fishman AFX Chorus and Reverb for the same price (600 euro). It is just two effects but the quality was much much higher since the G Natural gave a too much "plastic" sound to my ears.
Thank you...I would definitely go with those AFX pedals, and the AFX delay, but they have been discontinued by Fishman...and are no longer available.
Old 01-01-2014, 04:00 PM

Try ebay
Old 01-01-2014, 07:33 PM
Charter Member

I recently learned what "good" really sounds like. I had read from time to time about Strymon effects and saw a couple of interesting Youtube demos. But recently I stopped in at a higher end guitar store not far from where I work. They had the "big three" from Strymon in boxes sitting on a desk. Apparently, somebody ordered them and did not pick them up. The store staff said that it is a bit of a wait to find any of these in stock, and extremely rare to have all three: Mobius (modulated such as chorus), Timeline (delays and looper), and Big Sky (reverbs). They had a second Timeline to use for demo, so being that they are also the McPherson dealer now and that is what I have, we plugged a McPherson into the Timeline and then into an AER amp (though I have an Acoustic Image). I never knew a pedal could sound so good. I was stunned, to say the least. I bought the "big three", and will be selling any other pedals I have locally over the next few months. These pedals are worth it as far as I am concerned, and they cover everything I would want to do with amplifying and pedalizing (is that a word?) an acoustic. They are built quite sturdy so I doubt I will have any problems in the foreseeable future.

One thing I am learning really late in the game - expensive items such as McPherson guitars (or whatever higher end guitars one chooses), decent acoustic amplifiers, and decent pedals are worth it. I waited until the mortgage was paid off so we are debt free and well prepared for retirement, and then I got my McPherson, a decent amp, and now these Strymon pedals. I also have an Empress ParaEQ to go into the pedals that I bought last summer, should the need arise. In many cases, I would say we do get what we pay for. I never really understood why people might spend this much on this stuff, but now I do and it would be really difficult to go back.

It certainly isn't that anything less expensive is junk - far from it. There are fantastic guitars at affordable prices, same with pedals and amps. But at the price ranges of the stuff I mentioned, it is just another level altogether. I would think that in the long run, it may actually be less expensive to just do it right the first time so we are not having to sell/swap/trade as we discover the validity of the higher end gear and guitars. Of course, knowing what you want is a major factor. I don't know that I would have recognized these things for what they are, say, 10 or 15 years ago if these pedals and guitars had been available then. We live in wonderful times for a guitar player.

As for the TC G Natural, I think TC makes nice sounding equipment. They make high end gear, but I don't know what the differences in sound quality might be (i.e. where they might have cut corners to bring the price down from a few thousand in studio rack gear to a few hundred in a floor pedal). The obvious would be A/D and D/A converters, but it seems that processing power is coming down in price all the time, so maybe they can now use at least similar algorithms for their DSP-based effects.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 01-02-2014, 11:48 AM

I had a G Natural for a while. It works very well and sounds great. What it did not do for me is allow me to mix my dual source in my main guitar (magnetic & SBT). Also, I tend to be a set it and leave it guy with regards to my acoustic sound. I like a tiny bit of chorus, a little reverb, and a tiny bit of compression. The G Natural really was overkill for what I did while missing the one piece - the blender function - that I really needed. Like you I sold it to get rid of my rack... and I'm back to the rack. FWIW, I had three or four patches that I liked a lot and used only them. One other issue that I experienced and also experienced in an all in one digital electric pedal I had for a while was that it was difficult to get the various patches to be the same volume.

Before my rack, I had a pedal board with my acoustic. Again, since I'm a set it and leave it guy, the pedals didn't add anything for me.
that's me on guitar
Old 06-18-2014, 04:09 PM

Default g natural

I also found the g nat to be overkill for my simple needs, sounds great though. mine is on sale on ebay under TC Electronic G Natural TCE. You might get it cheap, I started bidding at 250, I think it is at 270 now. if you are someone who loves to program and needs a large variety of sounds you might like it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification