The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 02-13-2024, 07:26 AM

Default Glue recommendations for repairs

Hi everyone. I'm looking into repairing soundboard cracks, correcting belly bulge and replacing bracing on two of my classical guitars. What glue would you recommend for filling top and back cracks, re-gluing the bridge and finally re-gluing the braces? Any input appreciated
Old 02-13-2024, 08:09 AM
Charter Member

Titebond is the most common as it works well and is user friendly. I greatly prefer hide glue for a number of reasons but it takes some familiarity and skill while Titebond is far more forgiving.
Old 02-13-2024, 08:58 AM

Titebond Original. Titebond II and III are for water resistance. They are not stronger.
Old 02-13-2024, 09:29 AM

Default questions

'Replacing bracing'?
This sounds like major, and careful, surgery.
Through the soundhole?
And the question is about which glue to use?
Prior experience?
Old 02-13-2024, 10:35 AM

Thanks everyone. Titebond appears to be the choice of many. As far as experience replacing bracing I have none. But the bracing is severely damaged so it can't really get any worse
Old 02-13-2024, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by landolaguitar View Post
Hi everyone. I'm looking into repairing soundboard cracks, correcting belly bulge and replacing bracing on two of my classical guitars. What glue would you recommend for filling top and back cracks, re-gluing the bridge and finally re-gluing the braces? Any input appreciated
I agree with other comments here about using Titebond (original, not 2 or 3).

BUT Titebond works only on wood to wood surfaces and is comparatively weak if there is existing glue on either surface. In other words, you need to completely remove any existing glue. For bracing and the bridge Titebond is probably your best bet unless you're experienced with hot hide glue.

Filling the top and back cracks may be another issue depending on exactly what the problem is. Titebond can work if you can clean the mating surfaces and clamp the cracks together; CA glue might be better if you can't. A photo might be helpful here.
Old 02-13-2024, 01:37 PM

Thanks for the input everyone, I'll try send some pictures to give a clearer idea of what I'm up against but basically one of the guitars(the one I'm most concerned with repairing) has a split in the top behind the bridge
Old 02-16-2024, 11:19 AM

In addition to the reliabble Titebond, I also like to use fishglue.It is strong and can be removed again like Titebond.

Martin D28 (1973)
12-string cutaway ...finished ;-)
Hoyer 12-string (1965)
Yamaha FG-340 (1970)
Yamaha FG-512 (ca. 1980)
D.Maurer 8-string baritone (2013-2014)
and 4 electric axes
Old 02-17-2024, 12:54 PM

Never use glue to fill a crack.
Old 02-19-2024, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by landolaguitar View Post
Thanks for the input everyone, I'll try send some pictures to give a clearer idea of what I'm up against but basically one of the guitars(the one I'm most concerned with repairing) has a split in the top behind the bridge
Send up a few photos of the crack and eventually the bracing you intend to repair too. Might help judging the matter a bit.
Old 02-19-2024, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Klepper View Post
Never use glue to fill a crack.
Howard please, why not?
Old 02-19-2024, 04:16 PM
AGF Sponsor

Our popular woodworking glues use electro-chemical bonding to create their power, not that I understand that, but they have very little strength when stretched beyond a molecular film. That means they are lousy for gap filling. Epoxy, and to some degree, CA are the exceptions. I have philosophical issues with using epoxy in acoustic instruments. Titebond is a terrible choice for RE-gluing braces as it barely sticks to previously glued surfaces. Getting old Titebond out from between a brace and a plate is challenging even even when the brace is removed, let alone in place.

I disagree that the learning curve on HHG is a big deal, and it is almost certainly the best choice. Try it, you’ll like it.
Old 02-19-2024, 07:21 PM

In the 'old days' they would fill a crack with sawdust and hide glue. I've seen many a vintage guitar with that kind of repair and some have held up well, surprisingly.

I agree with the sentiment, never fill a crack with glue. If it's not a vintage guitar and repair costs are an issue then I will color West System epoxy to the wood tone and fill it with that. It sounds sacrilege but again it depends on the instrument and other circumstances.

If cracks do not shut under normal humidity then they typically are splinted, which is to say they are fitted with a splint of matching spruce and there are various ways of doing that too.
Old 04-01-2024, 01:15 PM

Will HHG be weaker if reheated? Does the glue loose its ability to function as a glue, please? That would be loose its ability to connect two pieces securely. I've think I've read that somewhere. I have a small amount of HHG in the the freezer for some time back. HHG is basically a protein and to work properly the two surfaces that are to be glued together need a better joint then for instance titebond needs.
Regards
Old 04-01-2024, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
Our popular woodworking glues use electro-chemical bonding to create their power, not that I understand that, but they have very little strength when stretched beyond a molecular film. That means they are lousy for gap filling. Epoxy, and to some degree, CA are the exceptions. I have philosophical issues with using epoxy in acoustic instruments. Titebond is a terrible choice for RE-gluing braces as it barely sticks to previously glued surfaces. Getting old Titebond out from between a brace and a plate is challenging even even when the brace is removed, let alone in place.

I disagree that the learning curve on HHG is a big deal, and it is almost certainly the best choice. Try it, you’ll like it.
I don't remember where I heard this, but I was told that a combination/mixture of HHG and CA was a good one; the theory was that the CA grabbed & held fast, but became less strong over time, and that the HHG started out weaker, but becomes stronger and more permanent with time, therefore, as the CA was giving up, the HHG was taking over...or something like that.

Your take on this?
Taylor 412K ('96)
Yamaha LL16-12 (SOLD)
PRS 'Studio' (SOLD)
Rickenbacker 660-12 (SOLD)
Fender USA Deluxe Strat
Fender USA Roadhouse Strat
Fender MIM/USA Partscaster
Fender MIM Nashville Tele
Kelsey Custom Hardtail Strat
Fender MIM P-Bass

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair