The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 10-17-2021, 06:30 PM

Default Knowledge for a beginner

Hello to everyone.

I’m about two months into learning ( this time) and have been making good progress (in my opinion) . I don’t have time for lessons but I started the JustinGuitar course from the beginning and will continue to progress through it.

I’m wondering if there is a site that is more or less dedicated to beginners as I’m hungry for knowledge at this point. Most of what I read is to advanced for me right now. Can anyone recommend some good reading or YouTube stuff for a beginner like me?

Mainly wanting knowledge on how to develop my strumming rythym. Cord changes come easy to me but it’s hard to express in words how bad my rythym sucks. Lol

Any advice or recommendations are appreciated and thanks for allowing me to join your forum.
Old 10-17-2021, 06:37 PM

Default Metronome

Get a metronome. Start it at 85 and work your speed up. Strumming patterns. The "California" strumming pattern is down-down-up Up-down-up. That's probably the hardest one. Strum from the wrist not the forearm. You can find other strumming patterns by watching YouTube, etc. I would start out doing four downstrokes using 4/4 time. Then do down-up-down-up with eighth notes.
Old 10-17-2021, 06:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyW View Post
Hello to everyone.

I’m about two months into learning ( this time) and have been making good progress (in my opinion) . I don’t have time for lessons but I started the JustinGuitar course from the beginning and will continue to progress through it.

I’m wondering if there is a site that is more or less dedicated to beginners as I’m hungry for knowledge at this point. Most of what I read is to advanced for me right now. Can anyone recommend some good reading or YouTube stuff for a beginner like me?

Mainly wanting knowledge on how to develop my strumming rythym. Cord changes come easy to me but it’s hard to express in words how bad my rythym sucks. Lol

Any advice or recommendations are appreciated and thanks for allowing me to join your forum.
Hi JoeyW…

First of all Hello and Welcome to the Forum. Glad you tossed out a question!

Since you have discovered Justin Sandacoe (sp?) - I'd recommend staying right there. He has some of the best and easy to accomplish learning for novice acoustic players.

As to improving rhythm, check around your area to see if there is a weekly/monthly Bluegrass Jam.

These are local casual gatherings where players of any level are welcome to come and join in.

If you sit in for 1-2 hours regularly, you will learn to keep the beat, and predict the next chord coming up-usually in simple keys.

You don't learn music from a book, but by playing music. Have you searched YouTube for 'how to improve my rhythm on guitar' yet? It brings up a ton of choices.

Have fun making progress!! And again, welcome to the forum!!

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 10-17-2021, 07:20 PM

Welcome to the forum!!

Tons of years ago when I first learned (strumming in particular), I found that playing in front of a full length mirror helped with this. In this case I was standing while playing, but I think it works for sitting as well. Using a metronome and watching yourself (literally) play, can help you associate your ear and sound, with your rhythm and physical actions.
I've not seen others recommend this, so I don't think it's standard stuff, but in my case I know it help bring about coordination and the sound I was producing.
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 10-17-2021, 07:26 PM

Thanks for the advice.

I just noticed that I posted this in the wrong section. Sorry about that mods.
Old 10-17-2021, 07:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyW View Post
I just noticed that I posted this in the wrong section. Sorry about that mods.
No worries... welcome! Glad to have you. Look through the PLAY section... I think you might find a lot of good ideas and excellent resources for learning. This is where most of our teachers hang out. PLAY is the hidden gem of the AGF.
Old 10-17-2021, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
No worries... welcome! Glad to have you. Look through the PLAY section... I think you might find a lot of good ideas and excellent resources for learning. This is where most of our teachers hang out. PLAY is the hidden gem of the AGF.
Sure will. Thanks
Old 10-17-2021, 07:41 PM

Default Welcome

Yes- Welcome to the forum. I should have started with that. I get too much to the point sometimes. Anyhow, you will get frustrated at first but stick with it. You will soon find that it will become second nature. Then you will learn another concept that will seem hard at first but will become easy with playing. I enjoy the constant "It seems hard then I did it and now it's easy." part of guitar. It never ends.
Old 10-17-2021, 07:51 PM

Welcome on. Youtube is your friend. Play along to songs that use the chords you know. Listen to the drummer, follow along. Search xxxx drum backing tracks where x = a favourite musical style. Make the time for a lesson even one or two can a lot.
Old 10-17-2021, 08:29 PM

I struggled for years. My suggestion is go to a live teacher, and ask them to focus on just this without necessarily committing to a long-term teaching relationship. I never had a clue what "shuffle rhythm" was until I had some lessons from a person, and I never would have got it from a book or online explanation. Its frustrating to try and play along with a song, even from tabs, and realize its not in a straight rhythm after all.
Old 10-18-2021, 02:52 AM
Charter Member

howdy Joey and welcome!

first, this is by far the absolute best resource for knowledge and helpful members.

next, get a metronome. other resources of some value would be ultimate guitar ( good resource for tab/sheet music and adaptable to skill levels- but horrible forum and not very polite place, terribly managed- but again good tabs)
you tube- one of my favs is shut up and play, there are many others that are worth seeking out and finding like a treasure hunt.

but again, no place is like AGF, other sites are merely ppll sharing a common hobby, but here we have a genuine community with extremly helpful ppl that have a million x the knowledge of anywheres, online or elsewhere, the internet merely facilitates being able to access these geniuses of the art of guitar and stringed instruments, that you wont find anywheres else period. good luck and keep the questions coming. Happy playing

1929 SS Stewart Pro Archtop
1921 G Houghton Archtop Banjo
2007 George Rizsanyi Custom Maple Banjo Killer
2017 James Malejczuk Custom OM Black Limba
1980 Norman B50-12
Norman B-20
Recording King single 0
1996 Takamine
1967 Yam G-130 Melvina
1980s Seagull S6 Cedar
2003 Briarwood
1970s Eko Maple
1982 Ovation
2020 Fender Telecaster
Mandolin
Yam THR5A
Sienna 35 Kustom
Old 10-18-2021, 04:52 AM

Default In-person lessons

I second the in-person lessons. I've been taking a lesson a week for the past two years. It has helped me a great deal. For example, it helps to have a set of trained eyes and ears watch and listen to what you are doing. Technique is taught and learned much better in person. If you can find the time, do it. I tried learning on YouTube at first and didn't know what I was looking at until I learned the basics with an instructor. The basics take about a year then you move on to advanced stuff (at least in my case).
Old 10-18-2021, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
[size=2]Since you have discovered Justin Sandacoe (sp?) - I'd recommend staying right there. He has some of the best and easy to accomplish learning for novice acoustic players.
Justin also has or had a fairly active forum...

Best advice is don't quit.

I was six months in and knew a lot of chords but could not strum or play a single complete song.
One day I sat down with youtube and every lesson they had for "Knocking on Heavens Door".
Easy song and it worked.
I only took one-on-one lessons when I wanted to learn boom/chicka, alternate bass strum and runs and walk up and downs.
Stick with Justin, he is great!
Old 10-18-2021, 02:04 PM

Unfortunately I don't know any other sites besides Justin's (there are quite a few of pay sites available, some might be pretty good but I don't have any experience with them).

As a relative beginner (about 1.5yrs) who still has terrible rhythm, the only thing that has worked for me is using in person lessons to do song tutorials. IMO, a lot of the you tube tutorials for songs don't do a good job explaining the rhythm and strum patterns. As you get more experienced you can listen for it and start to figure it out yourself but i found that almost impossible in the beginning.
2014 Epiphone Les Paul Junior - sold
Old 10-18-2021, 06:24 PM

I dont follow alot of U-tube stuff, but I have my own method for getting beginners off the ground and its basically based on getting fun results as fast as possible... since IMO the key to getting good at guitar is having fun, if you have fun you will play lots and progress. I call my method the "Green Day, Nirvana, Tom Petty" method.

Start out learning "Brain Stew" by Green Day, followed by "Hitching a Ride" easy power chord songs with simple strum patterns. "Dust on the Bottle" is another good one at this point, for those who prefer country.

Next move on to "Teen Spirit" by Nirvana, more complex strumming patterns and string muting... followed up by "Come as you Are" which gets you into simple arpegios and lead lines. "When I come Around" by Greenday is a good introduction to simple palm muting patterns and fits in good with this stage.

Last begginer stage, learn "Free Falling" by Tom Petty, which gets you into using full chord forms. "About a Girl" by Nirvana, and "Good Riddance/ Time of Your Life" are good follow ups... by this point you should have a fairly good grasp of basic skills and will be well on your way to figuring out chord progressions as well as ready to start delving into pentatonic scales and simple lead lines.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write