The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 10-18-2021, 12:43 AM

My thought is that an X-20 with the standard scale will respond much better to a flatpick than the 24" scale X-7.

The X-20 is still a hair larger than I like in general, I really wish they made an acoustically focused X-10 (X-12 anyone?)
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 10-18-2021, 08:56 AM
Charter Member

I have an X7 nylon and X20 Baritone. They both are comfortable to play. I don’t know how the projection is on steel string X7s, but it is pretty weak on my nylon. I got, and would recommend having, pickups install.
Old 10-18-2021, 12:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiberty View Post
My thought is that an X-20 with the standard scale will respond much better to a flatpick than the 24" scale X-7.

The X-20 is still a hair larger than I like in general, I really wish they made an acoustically focused X-10 (X-12 anyone?)
I was thinking along the same lines when I ordered my X10, but I really liked the idea of the X10 being "more electric capable." It actual use, the X20, X10, and X7 are very different guitars, and each does what they do very well.

Considering size and physics, it should seem like the X10 would be that "Goldilocks" guitar between the X20 and X7. But the current X10 is pretty darn close to the X7 in body size. When I ordered my X10 (2018), the Krivo pickup and individual piezo/saddles was the standard Level 2. Perhaps without those features, the guitar may be stronger acoustically? That said, I really like the sweet/balanced tone of my X10 and have used it on some projects acoustically.
Old 10-18-2021, 01:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
I was thinking along the same lines when I ordered my X10, but I really liked the idea of the X10 being "more electric capable." It actual use, the X20, X10, and X7 are very different guitars, and each does what they do very well.

Considering size and physics, it should seem like the X10 would be that "Goldilocks" guitar between the X20 and X7. But the current X10 is pretty darn close to the X7 in body size. When I ordered my X10 (2018), the Krivo pickup and individual piezo/saddles was the standard Level 2. Perhaps without those features, the guitar may be stronger acoustically? That said, I really like the sweet/balanced tone of my X10 and have used it on some projects acoustically.
I don’t know if this was the case before, but using the builder, it’s actually possible to get an X10 with the standard pinless bridge, and no pickups at all - Level 0? It would be interesting to compare one configured like that with similar X7 and X20 models.

Of course, if you’re fussy about nut width, 1 11/16” might not cut it, and changing that is not currently an option.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 10-18-2021, 05:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Eastwood View Post
I don’t know if this was the case before, but using the builder, it’s actually possible to get an X10 with the standard pinless bridge, and no pickups at all - Level 0? It would be interesting to compare one configured like that with similar X7 and X20 models.

Of course, if you’re fussy about nut width, 1 11/16” might not cut it, and changing that is not currently an option.
When Emerald first reintroduced the X10 (2018), I was excited about the individually adjustable saddles - easy to adjust! As it turns out, a very minor bit of tweaking after I first got it, and no need to adjust anything since.

The 1 11/16" nut and slightly thinner neck of the X10 gets it closer to "an electric neck" (and those vary just like on acoustics). I have a variety of guitars that have 1 11/16" and 1 3/4" nut widths... I guess I am enough of a luddite that I really don't have an issue going back and forth between those and a variety of scale lengths. Just like I can appreciate different tones/sounds from different guitars. If anything, I've learned that I can enjoy a variety of guitars without feeling that any one is "the one."

A "Level 0" X10? It would be interesting to play and listen to one to see if it has any bearing on the acoustic tone (my assumption would be: yes). But, I would imagine it will still have a tone that is different from the X20 and X7.

After the last decade of accumulating more guitars, I've reached a point where thinning seems appropriate. I'll have to leave it up to someone else to tell us about a "Level 0" X10. Where's Kramster when you need him?
Old 10-18-2021, 07:57 PM

Seems like the x20 is what you're looking for. Balanced. I had an x20 but sold it to get the x30 because I needed more power and bass acoustically in larger groups. I also have an x7 for stage. Hoping to get a virtuo soon to replace that as my stage guitar. If it had to be one though, is say x20. Goldilocks...
Old 10-21-2021, 09:22 AM

I’m kind of in the same boat in regards to a 12 string. Not much difference in price from X7, X20 and X30. $200 difference between all 3, but none inexpensive. Leaning towards the X30-12 for what I assume would be the added bass. Am I assuming correctly? Looking more jumbo Taylor than dread.
Old 11-02-2021, 05:08 AM

Default the big decision

Two years ago I purchased an Amicus woody featuring sporting a Kosipo wood veneer. It is beautiful to look at an listen to however, I have discovered that 12 string guitar may not be my thing. I am determined to own an Emerald Guitars 6 string but, I really want to get this one right. I would really love to be able to put my hands on an X7, an X20 and an X30 but that seems near impossible short of flying to Ireland. jklots, you mentioned that you live in the Atlanta area and are willing to let someone look at your X20. That's fantastic as I am also in the Atlanta area. I will be in touch. This sort of thing might make some folks uncomfortable and I sure understand but it almost seems that for those who own these instruments and who are comfortable meeting up its might be a great idea to have a thread for geographic areas of people who are owners. At least while I still own my Amicus, I would be willing to participate. Is that a crazy idea? It seems like I have listened to a b'zillion youtube videos and about the time I think I've made up my mind, I see another one that sends me back to square one. Ideas anyone?

Last edited by Kerbie; 11-02-2021 at 05:51 AM. Reason: Adjusted according to rules.
Old 11-02-2021, 05:13 AM

Default The Big Decision

One more thought... I have considered purchasing a used Emerald. When I look at these preowned instruments on, say Reverb.com or elsewhere, people are asking nearly as much for a used one as for new with warranty. I am curious if they are actually selling for these kinds of numbers and if so, how that is. Some of you have sold these instruments online, what has been your experience?

Last edited by Triumph Ant; 11-02-2021 at 05:22 AM. Reason: duplicated...:)
Old 11-02-2021, 06:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triumph Ant View Post
Tjklots, you mentioned that you live in the Atlanta area and are willing to let someone look at your X20. That's fantastic as I am also in the Atlanta area. I will be in touch. This sort of thing might make some folks uncomfortable and I sure understand but it almost seems that for those who own these instruments and who are comfortable meeting up its might be a great idea to have a thread for geographic areas of people who are owners. At least while I still own my Amicus, I would be willing to participate. Is that a crazy idea?
Not a crazy idea at all. Many of us here have shared our instruments with others in face-to-face meetings. I’ve done 4 of them over the last couple of years, 2 of which have led to orders being placed, and a 3rd looks to be under way (I should get commission!).

A register of some sort has often been suggested, but its fate usually comes down to who’s going to compile and maintain it. There was a thread along the lines you suggest a little while ago, but it petered out after some time.

I think that as this community grows, more people will ask, and more people will respond, enabling many to find a match somewhere.
Cordoba Stage

Last edited by David Eastwood; 11-02-2021 at 07:31 AM. Reason: Grammar police
Old 11-02-2021, 07:00 AM

@Triumph Ant, why don't you try removing 6 strings from your Amicus?

I am not kidding.

When I was a beginner my main guitar was a nylon string, but I also had a steel string guitar: A cheap 12 string dreadnought which was impossible for me to play. The tension was much too high for my poor nylon string accustomed hands.

So I just removed those 6 superfluous strings and turned the guitar into an instrument that was perfect for me at the time. Even the resulting wide string spacing closely matched my nylon string.
Rainsong Smokey SMH
Outdoor Guitalele
Taylor 522e 12-fret ✝
Gitane DG-560 nylon ✝
Alhambra 3C CW
Eastman AR910CE
Recording King RM-991 tricone resonator
Recording King RK-G25 6-string banjo
Thomann Irish Bouzouki M1089
Old 11-02-2021, 10:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
One more thought... I have considered purchasing a used Emerald. When I look at these preowned instruments on, say Reverb.com or elsewhere, people are asking nearly as much for a used one as for new with warranty. I am curious if they are actually selling for these kinds of numbers and if so, how that is. Some of you have sold these instruments online, what has been your experience?
I bought a stock X20 to see if I would like the shape and sound, which I did, except for the 25.5" neck. So I ordered a custom x20 with a 24.875" neck, and once it arrived I sold the stock X20 here, for 20% or so less than what I had into it. It went quickly, and the new owner was great to deal with. You see very few used ones available. The X20 is a much more versatile guitar, but I play my RainSong more, mainly because I like the 12 fret form factor, and it sounds just a little better to my ears.
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class

Last edited by seannx; 11-02-2021 at 10:43 AM.
Old 11-02-2021, 02:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
As one who has bought and subsequently sold several Emeralds, I too am amazed by the prices of used ones that I see on Reverb. While I can't tell you what kinds of prices others are getting, I can certainly assure you that I neither advertised nor received such high dollar amounts...
Old 11-02-2021, 02:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I haven’t sold online, but I’ve seen many such examples. What makes me scratch my head is the ease with which you can find out just how much a near-identical spec new instrument would cost you, just by using Emerald’s builder. Granted you wouldn’t have the wait, and the shipping costs should be rather less, but some of the prices being asked are unreasonably ambitious, IMO.
Cordoba Stage

Old 11-02-2021, 05:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
As one who has bought and subsequently sold several Emeralds, I too am amazed by the prices of used ones that I see on Reverb. While I can't tell you what kinds of prices others are getting, I can certainly assure you that I neither advertised nor received such high dollar amounts...
Ditto for me

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber