The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 10-09-2021, 01:13 PM
Charter Member

Default Rory Gallagher & His 1961 Fender Stratocaster

I was listening to Rory this afternoon and got to thinking why he didn't approach the "Guitar God" recognition many believe he deserved as a Blues and Rock guitarist/singer. He was somewhat popular having sold over 30 million records. He had a great voice for the songs and the guitar chops to put the songs across. Maybe, he was too low-key for celebrity status--note his iconic plaid shirts instead of platform shoes, feathered boas, and other stuff? Sadly, he led a hard-partying lifestyle and passed at age 47 of complications from a liver transplant. Here's an article about his 1961 Fender Stratocaster and its history with Rory: https://guitar.com/features/artist-r...-stratocaster/

Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

Last edited by SpruceTop; 10-09-2021 at 04:17 PM.
Old 10-09-2021, 01:42 PM

I hear ya. I only became aware of Rory's talents and music a few short years ago. He not only left us with a legacy but an iconic guitar as well.
Old 10-10-2021, 02:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
I hear ya. I only became aware of Rory's talents and music a few short years ago. He not only left us with a legacy but an iconic guitar as well.
Dru, judging by the number of responses, so far, not many have either heard of Rory Gallagher or maybe don't rate him very highly as a player? Don't know, maybe ...
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Old 10-10-2021, 03:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
Dru, judging by the number of responses, so far, not many have either heard of Rory Gallagher or maybe don't rate him very highly as a player? Don't know, maybe ...
One of the finest ever, IMO. I first became aware of him when he was in Taste, and then was fortunate enough to see him play an absolute blinder of a show in Guildford (UK) in 1975. He also popped up on the Old Grey Whistle Test* two or three times, which was always a treat.

Irish Tour - a live album from 1974 - is highly recommended if you want to get a taste (no pun intended ) of him as a singer, songwriter, and extraordinarily talented guitar player. It's available both on CD and DVD.

* See Walk on Hot Coals clip in OP above - I missed that when I first responded.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo

Last edited by David Eastwood; 10-10-2021 at 03:43 PM.
Old 10-10-2021, 03:24 PM
Charter Member

I once played that Strat and his D35. (ok, I'm not an electric guitarist).

He used to use luthier Chris Ecclehall for his set ups and other stuff, and I saw therm in his workshop.

Rory liked unusually high actions.
Old 10-10-2021, 05:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
I was into him when he was near his peak. Against the Grain and Calling Card both came out during my high school years and when I was first really getting into blues. I saw so many concerts in those days, there’s a pretty good chance I saw him, but I don’t recall specifically enough to say I definitely did.

Definitely one of the best…

-Ray
Old 10-10-2021, 08:22 PM

I ran into Taste's records (his late Sixties power trio) just before they broke up and bought some of his first solo records. I was distinctly impressed then for his sound and the way he was able to really fill high-energy space in a trio. The clips in the OP show what he could do in that regard well. I have nothing like his chops, but I think a little of what he was doing did rub off on my playing sometimes.

Underrated and overrated are dodgy games, starting with the idea of "rating" and then moving on to the equally hazy judgement of where they are rated (by who, when, on what authority). But yes., yes, he's a player more players should at least listen to a bit to absorb what he does, particularly if you want to play in a classic power trio format.

Now I'm going risk something that may ruffle a few feathers with fans. I think I can see why he didn't become more famous or "rated."

I think he wrote a lot of his material, and while it has its charms (particularly in scattered doses, even now) he perhaps never wrote what I or the crowd would consider to be great and undeniable songs, nor had that sort of song or setting supplied to him. Think of the "rated" power trio guitarists of his era: Clapton, Beck, Page, Townsend, Hendrix -- all had catchy and original songs that carried them farther into fame.

Another thing that shouldn't be held against him in a fair world, but may have impacted how the fame machine dealt with him: he was pretty much born full-grown as a talent in Taste, so even by the mid 70s he was "just" the guy who could do what he always did and so never sparked a big "discovery" moment. Fans may view it as a sign of integrity, but I also get the impression that his style didn't develop that much over the years. That too maybe a "so what" thing, but sometimes an artist gets an additional chance to be discovered when they are put in new context or they reinvent what they do.

Now, for an AGF audience, let's also note that he had a strong basis in acoustic guitar too. Here's a clip late in his life with an acoustic 12-string where he shows how he connects Blues and Celtic musics

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 10-11-2021, 02:09 PM

I notice that John Peel and the UTV (Ulster, I assume?) announcer pronounce his name "Gallaher".
Old 10-11-2021, 03:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmcr View Post
I notice that John Peel and the UTV (Ulster, I assume?) announcer pronounce his name "Gallaher".
That's Whispering Bob Harris in the first clip, not John Peel... I'd never really thought about the pronunciation before, but it comes most naturally to me with a silent 'g'. Without hearing him say it himself, I've no idea which one is correct!
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 10-12-2021, 03:25 AM

Definition of a true musician. One of my fav's and one of the best, I have been listening to him in the car all week and thinking the same, what a shame he's not more well know.
91 Taylor K15C Koa
Old 10-12-2021, 11:48 AM

My good friend gave me his live album in the early seventies and the rest is history. Rory could do it all electric, slide, vocal and acoustic. In 1974 Keith Richards had him tryout after Mick Taylor left but it was only to play and not to sing, so joining the Stones never happened. Him, not being a commercial success does not diminish his talent in my eyes.
Old 10-12-2021, 02:00 PM

He was simply in the wrong era for what he did. If he had lived into the 90s, I have no doubt that his garage rock blues sound would have been seen as one of the fathers of grunge, in the same way that my generation lauds Neil Young.
Old 10-12-2021, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by posternutbag View Post
He was simply in the wrong era for what he did. If he had lived into the 90s, I have no doubt that his garage rock blues sound would have been seen as one of the fathers of grunge, in the same way that my generation lauds Neil Young.
I think he was in the exact right era for what he did. Rock/blues guitar heroes (Neil Young couldn't be pigeonholed into that category) went out of style by the mid 70's. He had a very nice career, seemed to really enjoy his time on stage and - as OP mentioned - sold 30 million records. What's wrong with any of that?

Just saw this, and agree: "I think he wrote a lot of his material, and while it has its charms (particularly in scattered doses, even now) he perhaps never wrote what I or the crowd would consider to be great and undeniable songs, nor had that sort of song or setting supplied to him."
Old 10-12-2021, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by posternutbag View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedown View Post
I think he was in the exact right era for what he did. Rock/blues guitar heroes (Neil Young couldn't be pigeonholed into that category) went out of style by the mid 70's. He had a very nice career, seemed to really enjoy his time on stage and - as OP mentioned - sold 30 million records. What's wrong with any of that?

Just saw this, and agree: "I think he wrote a lot of his material, and while it has its charms (particularly in scattered doses, even now) he perhaps never wrote what I or the crowd would consider to be great and undeniable songs, nor had that sort of song or setting supplied to him."
Exactly. He was in exactly the right era for what he did, he just wasn't a big commercial success. That's 90% to do with music business decisions, not talent. I'm a huge Rory fan but what he did was just never going to get great commercial success, certainly not over the long haul, and he apparently had zero interest in straying outside his lane. Good for him! He made a good living at what he loved and he's remembered with near-reverence by a huge swath of guitar players at all levels. That's pretty successful by most any measure.
Old 10-12-2021, 04:33 PM
Charter Member

It's great to read that there are many of us who remember and appreciate Rory!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars