The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 10-09-2021, 11:02 AM

Default Randy Bachman's Stolen Gretsch 6120 Chet Atkins Found after 45 Years

In case you don't know who Randy Bachman is, he's the "Bachman" in Bachman-Turner Overdrive (BTO). His 1957 Gretsch 6120 Chet Atkins model, a holy grail model, was stolen from a hotel room in Toronto in 1976. It was just found in Tokyo when his neighbor started looking for it and found a YouTube video with only 250 views! How amazing is that?

The Gretsch was purchased by someone who didn't know it was stolen. He agreed to return it "on the condition that Bachman find him a guitar of the same make, model, colour, condition, year and factory specs." (source below). The hunt was on for another '57, of which only 40 were made, and one was found with the serial number only 2 digits off in Ohio so Bachman bought it to exchange with his original.

What a great story.

Source:
https://vancouverisland.ctvnews.ca/r...okyo-1.5614775
Old 10-09-2021, 11:47 AM

Very generous of the new owner to give it back with preconditions…

I guess there have been so many “owners” since it was stolen you can’t really use the law regarding stolen property - if there is one (in many European countries stolen goods remain the property of the original owner leaving subsequent buyers out of pocket if it turns out something they bought is stolen property).
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 10-09-2021, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieterh View Post
Very generous of the new owner to give it back with preconditions…

I guess there have been so many “owners” since it was stolen you can’t really use the law regarding stolen property - if there is one (in many European countries stolen goods remain the property of the original owner leaving subsequent buyers out of pocket if it turns out something they bought is stolen property).
Sounds like the owner got pretty much the same guitar. It was amazing that another was able to be found for sale. Very nice that the owner was willing to make the trade. The guitar has always meant a lot to Bachman.
Old 10-09-2021, 02:07 PM
Guitar Gourmet

It would be wise to remember that the new owner isn't bound by either U.S. law or Western morals.

But, I am glad that Randy is going to get his guitar back, one way or another, and Randy seems to be as well. I wonder how well the binding has held up?

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 10-09-2021, 02:48 PM

Randy seems like a genuinely nice man. I'm happy for him.
Gibson J200
Furch MC Yellow Gc-CR SPA
Guild G212
Eastman E2OM-CD
Old 10-09-2021, 06:01 PM
Charter Member

That's a great story! What a great old guitar, too!

- Glenn
Old 10-10-2021, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Sounds like the owner got pretty much the same guitar. It was amazing that another was able to be found for sale. Very nice that the owner was willing to make the trade. The guitar has always meant a lot to Bachman.

I hear you. I’m just saying that if it was proved to be stolen property in some countries the “owner” wouldn’t have had a choice…
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 10-10-2021, 05:14 AM

I thought it was interesting that someone used facial recognition software to identify the wood grain of the guitar…
And how Randy amassed a large collection of Gretsch guitars along the way.
Old 10-10-2021, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitararmy View Post
I thought it was interesting that someone used facial recognition software to identify the wood grain of the guitar…
And how Randy amassed a large collection of Gretsch guitars along the way.
Yea, Randy has 400 guitars and has bought a dozen orange Gretsch 6120s from that era. I wonder where he keeps them all. Some must be in a secure storage unit rather than all at his home.
Old 10-10-2021, 05:32 AM

A story with a happy ending! As a side note, Randy Bachman was a member of Guess Who prior to BTO. Two very successful bands!
Old 10-10-2021, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpuhan View Post
A story with a happy ending! As a side note, Randy Bachman was a member of Guess Who prior to BTO. Two very successful bands!
Both bands from Winnipeg! Bachman was a cowriter of The Guess Who's American Woman and, obviously, the guitarist.
Old 10-10-2021, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
It would be wise to remember that the new owner isn't bound by either U.S. law or Western morals...
Case in point: around the same time Mr. Bachman's guitar was stolen I came within inches of buying a similarly uber-collectible (acoustic) guitar which, as I would discover a year or so thereafter in a well-known niche-market publication, was also stolen from another '70s A-list player/collector...

Had I done so and found myself in the same position, I would have happily (and immediately) returned it - simply as a matter of personal respect (this guy was one of my major influences) and our mutual appreciation of fine instruments - my sole request being that his/his label's legal team assist me in recovering my original purchase price from the seller...
Old 10-11-2021, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Both bands from Winnipeg! Bachman was a cowriter of The Guess Who's American Woman and, obviously, the guitarist.
Huh! I thought he was from Moose Jaw, Moosomin or Medicine Hat.
Old 10-11-2021, 12:52 PM

Here's a cool clip on the story:

Gibson J200
Furch MC Yellow Gc-CR SPA
Guild G212
Eastman E2OM-CD
Old 10-11-2021, 03:29 PM
Charter Member

I'll go with my first impression, which was "Wow, what a great, feel-good story"! Made me smile!

Cheers!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars