The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 10-04-2021, 01:59 PM

I have to agree with the folks on the side of STAY DOWN. I use FB occasionally, but I would say that overall FB has been a negative effect on humanity and we would all be much better off without it, and Twitter as well.
Old 10-04-2021, 02:13 PM
Charter Member

Aside from the fact that we use it as part of our marketing for our acoustic group, I really don’t care.
Old 10-04-2021, 02:15 PM

What did that whistleblower say about FB or Zuckerberg or whatever? (If you can say within Forum guidelines).
Old 10-04-2021, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadcutter View Post
What did that whistleblower say about FB or Zuckerberg or whatever? (If you can say within Forum guidelines).
Not hard to find out...https://variety.com/2021/digital/new...es-1235080177/
Old 10-04-2021, 02:31 PM

I just use it to promote my gigs and music. For that reason, I don't want it to go away. Otherwise, I think it's a good thing - give the people a break from the politics and negitivity.
Old 10-04-2021, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklotz View Post
I just use it to promote my gigs and music. For that reason, I don't want it to go away. Otherwise, I think it's a good thing - give the people a break from the politics and negitivity.
There's just multiple other ways to do that without feeding the beast. Similarly people say they "need FB to stay in touch" yet people did that just fine for hundreds of years before the Social Media menace raised its' ugly head.
Old 10-04-2021, 02:38 PM

I hope it’s hacked so bad, they’ll never get it back up. Hate book is what I call it.

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2
Old 10-04-2021, 02:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadcutter View Post

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/faceboo...es-2021-10-03/
Old 10-04-2021, 02:47 PM
Charter Member

I haven't missed it a bit.
Old 10-04-2021, 02:54 PM

I have stayed away from it from it's inception to this day, but my wife is on it and is constantly aggravated by all the idiocy posted up by people that she thought were intelligent folks. The amount of misinformation that FB allows in unforgivable, I hope it stays down forever.

I stay in touch with the people I want to, and the rest don't randomly call me to ask me to be friends. LOL!!!!!!
2021 Furch Yellow Gc-CR MC FOR SALE
2023 Hatcher Greta
Old 10-04-2021, 02:55 PM

One of my former students in TX dragged me onto FB when we moved back to Canada in '07. I lasted longer that I thought I would but dropped off between '13 and '18. I only revived my account when my first CD came out. Tried to keep it to a minimum, just connecting to other guitarists and a few family members but I quickly remembered why I'd dropped it in the first place!

I only lasted about 18 months before I quit again...but this time I deleted the account. Won't go back and like others here, I hope it stays offline.

Phil

I play Crosby, Emerald, Larrivée, Lowden, Rainsong & Tacoma guitars.
Check out my Guitar Website. See guitar photos & info at my Guitars page.
Old 10-04-2021, 03:03 PM

I'm not a huge Facebook user but I do use it for groups. Sure, I survived without it before but I'm now going to various jams and open mics that I wouldn't have known about without Facebook. I do think it could be improved though.

Having said that, I found out it was down from an article in Ars Technica, not from trying to go to Facebook.
Old 10-04-2021, 03:06 PM
Charter Member

FB is sorta like zillionaire athletes on TV and Kardashians. If no one told me they were all gone, I'd never know it.

Last edited by tinnitus; 10-04-2021 at 06:12 PM.
Old 10-04-2021, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRose View Post
Thanks TRose, I just watched the link. Best we tread lightly on this topic as forum guidelines could be quickly violated. One thing the person being interviewed said that stick in my mind was “FB essentially amplifies the worst in human nature.” I’d say I’d have to agree with that and most social media in general.
Old 10-04-2021, 03:16 PM
Charter Member

The WSJ has a very informative series of articles, including one about the whistleblower's experience as a Facebook employee.

Basically Facebook's business model depends on user generated content and engagement. In the US, membership has pretty much reached its limit, and isn't growing. That makes increasing user engagement essential to maintaining and generating more revenue from advertisers, monetizing user data, etc.

Their AI showed that engagement was highest with inflammatory, negative, and controversial posts and responses that generated the strongest emotional responses. Subsequently algorithms were changed to generate more engagement, with values placed on user reactions and responses. For example a positive like was worth one point, an angry emoji five, negative and contentious responses, shares, and reposts were valued much higher. The prioritizing and promotion of that content, was then noticed and tracked by political advertisers and and companies like Buzz Feed, that in turn modified their content to be more extreme, sensational, and divisive to stay visible on Facebook.

This was known internally, and teams and groups dedicated to minimize hatred, division, misinformation, etc. were marginalized or even disbanded, as reported by the whistleblower and supported by internal FB documents.

Even more disturbing, is that over 90% of FB users are international, in developed as well as developing countries. Use of FB has been implicated in human trafficking, and other unsafe practices. This is where Facebook has the greatest potential to add more users, with even less supervision, transparency, or accountability.

Regarding IG, one issue was internal research showing adolescent and teenage girls suffering from increased emotional distress from body dysmorphia.

Sadly, it's hard to conceive of how FB's business model can have a different outcome, as revenue and profit are dependent on user engagement. This isn't political, religious, has nothing to do with climate, or other banned topics. It's also not a surprise to anyone who currently is or has been a FB member. Unlike FB, this forum's rules and procedures (like "Be Nice", etc.) make it a safe and positive place.

At present our business depends heavily on IG for messaging, virtual sales appointments, and customer communications. It's been incredibly useful, and the communications are very positive and respectful. But as it's owned by FB, plus some of the negative effects previously mentioned, we are concerned about the future. If the negative effects of IG continue, we plan to shift client communications and virtual appointments to alternative platforms like Zoom and Signal.
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class

Last edited by seannx; 10-04-2021 at 03:23 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic