The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 09-26-2021, 04:42 AM

Red face Most ERGONOMIC but fast SUV?

The time has come to move on from my 2009 911S Coupe 6 Speed Manual.
Downsizing………..[please]…..don’t ask.
Turning 70 y/o in Jan 2022, had knee replacement already and bad hips.
In all likelihood, more joint replacement surgery to come in the near future.

So……….QUESTION?:

What Make and Model is the FASTEST EASY TO GET IN AND OUT OF SUV?

I need speed. Dog speed is a deal breaker. (Apologies, can’t tolerate a dog). My wife’s old 2010 Honda Odyssey Van is the most ergonomic 4 wheeled transport vehicle I have EVER driven. You go to get in and…..before you know it……..BAM!!!!?….you are seated at the driver’s seat. Effortless! The **** thing even has an electronic function to move the accelerator pedal closer or further from your right foot!!!! You just don’t know how you got there! Soooooo comfortable! Looking for something like that.

Cost is NOT a limiting factor. Possibly my last vehicle. I’ll probably get an extended warranty. I like to keep cars X 10 yrs. Thinking: Benz, Audi, BMW, Lexus, Toyota, VW, Jeep, Ford, Honda, Porsche or Chevy. NO: Land Rover, Alfa Romeo or Lambo please.

Opinions, Observations Ideas and Experience will be greatly tely appreciated.

Thanks!!!

“If Immanuel Kant, can Ghengis Kahn?”

Collings cust 000 shrt Koa b/s Eu Spruce top
Santa Cruz cust OM shrt Maple b/s Germ Spruce top
Martin D-41 Dan Fogelberg Lmt edit
Rainsong 2001 ‘Hawaiian’ WD 1100 all CF
Milagro Rosewood b/s Euro Spruce top Classical
Taylor cust GA EIR b/s Addi top Florentine cut
Journey carbon fiber “Overhead” breakdown travel
Fender Standard American Strat
Old 09-26-2021, 05:00 AM
Charter Member

The 2021 X5 got VERY high ratings from Consumer Reports.
Old 09-26-2021, 05:06 AM
Charter Member

lincoln aviator..the most comfortable thing ever and super fast!! 400 or 494 hp. every bell and whistle you can think of, rediculously comfortable. thing will even kneel down as you approach to make it easier to get in and out. really cool HUD as well. around $84-86k here in my neck of woods

1929 SS Stewart Pro Archtop
1921 G Houghton Archtop Banjo
2007 George Rizsanyi Custom Maple Banjo Killer
2017 James Malejczuk Custom OM Black Limba
1980 Norman B50-12
Norman B-20
Recording King single 0
1996 Takamine
1967 Yam G-130 Melvina
1980s Seagull S6 Cedar
2003 Briarwood
1970s Eko Maple
1982 Ovation
2020 Fender Telecaster
Mandolin
Yam THR5A
Sienna 35 Kustom
Old 09-26-2021, 05:23 AM
Charter Member

We traded in our BMW 340XI for a new 2021 Buick Enclave Avenir.... It has a respectable 310HP handles great and is very comfortable w/massaging seats for that 12hr drive to NC. Very comfortable at 85-90MPH on I95.... its a good compromise between comfort / sporty and price.. I'm thinking future maintenance and repairs will be fairly priced compared to the European competitors...
There is a new model for 2022 so you may find one with a 4500.00 rebate...
Old 09-26-2021, 05:34 AM

Aston Martin DBX? Quite expensive though.
Old 09-26-2021, 06:33 AM

We went with one of the few remaining true wagons when most CarUVs seemed to be catering to the wide-spread obesity problems and mediocrity.

We don't like the Tesla Y and 3 dashboards. My mother is shopping now and it's a better market (sort of) than we had a year ago because of more BEVs available. The VW dual motor as an example is jut about ready to ship.

Something to possibly consider with good handling over the many fat and tall CarUVs is latest generation Outback has moved upscale if you want it but become more solid than ever in all trims.

Another observation from the recent purchase we made and my mother's current shopping is the non-luxury brands now have premium offerings we felt were less off-putting or obnoxious than their luxury counterparts. We felt a lot of vehicles were pushing their scope of looks and gadgets too far. We have no regrets getting nice versions of Toyota and VAG and a new kitchen instead.
Old 09-26-2021, 06:49 AM
Charter Member

If you don't need a big SUV and want something that is pretty fast and really fun in the corners

Mini Cooper Countryman John Cooper Works .....

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 09-26-2021, 07:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
If you don't need a big SUV and want something that is pretty fast and really fun in the corners

Mini Cooper Countryman John Cooper Works .....
Super car - I had two Minis - but I wouldn’t describe them as easy to get in and out of.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 09-26-2021, 07:27 AM
Musical minimalist

Well, if you liked the Honda - how about an Acura MDX?

Last edited by fitness1; 03-30-2022 at 09:48 AM.
Old 09-26-2021, 07:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Eastwood View Post
Super car - I had two Minis - but I wouldn’t describe them as easy to get in and out of.
I have both a 2012 Clubman S and a 2016 Countryman JCW.... The Countryman is 5 " taller and IMO easer to get in and out of (unless perhaps someone was very tall, very big overall , or very heavy) Of course I am 5' 9" and 145 lb's so what do I know ???
And the OP can of course go to a dealership and (if they have any left on the lot) can try and see .... Right now Mini inventory is very low, BUT the Countryman is by far the most popular Mini in US sales, so is the most likely to still be left on the lot...

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 09-26-2021 at 08:16 AM.
Old 09-26-2021, 08:11 AM
Guest 928

My wife and I like Subaru; easy to get into, zippy, all-wheel-drive-stable. Our old one has 160,000 miles and never given us any grief. Our new one is actually bigger than we like, but it still has the Subaru qualities we like.
Old 09-26-2021, 08:24 AM
Charter Member

Another vote for the Acura MDX.

Although I must admit that I haven't driven the newer ones. Great vehicles, though.
Old 09-26-2021, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness1 View Post
Well, if you liked the Honda - how about an Acura MDX?
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenL View Post
Another vote for the Acura MDX.

Although I must admit that I haven't driven the newer ones. Great vehicles, though.
My mother's been buying or leasing MDX and RDX models in what seems like rapid succession. At 89 she keeps thinking her driving will be over but she remains really sharp.

I'm not going to say they're bad, but they're overkill on all the buttons and gadgets they try to put in the dashboard and in some cases deserve a down right stupid vote if you compare them to other vehicles. The operating Car Play with the trackpad by the push button shifting mechanism ranks about 88 on the 1-10 scale for stupid.

The RDX models don't feel as bloated as MDX, but they're craptacular handling if you try them against the better station wagons.

Something else is a lot of the luxury SUVs (lots of luxury cars) accelerate your rate of throwing money away. Our neighbor's Honda with elite/tour trim and my wife's SE high end trim Toyota have high end features and without the garish look their Acura and Lexus counterparts have and a friend doing some used car shopping pointed out they don't lose as much value.

The Honda/Acura designs seem to want you to use their software and nav where Tesla might be the only exception to most all of them being in a range of annoying to downright stupid compared to just using Car Play or Android.
Old 09-26-2021, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N4640W View Post
...Turning 70 y/o in Jan 2022, had knee replacement already and bad hips.
In all likelihood, more joint replacement surgery to come in the near future.

What Make and Model is the FASTEST EASY TO GET IN AND OUT OF SUV?

I need speed...My wife’s old 2010 Honda Odyssey Van is the most ergonomic 4 wheeled transport vehicle I have EVER driven. You go to get in and…..before you know it……..BAM!!!!?….you are seated at the driver’s seat. Effortless!...

Cost is NOT a limiting factor. Possibly my last vehicle. I’ll probably get an extended warranty. I like to keep cars X 10 yrs. Thinking: Benz, Audi, BMW, Lexus, Toyota, VW, Jeep, Ford, Honda, Porsche or Chevy...

Opinions, Observations Ideas and Experience will be greatly appreciated...
If you're mechanically inclined - or, as you said, cost is not a limiting factor - you might consider seeking out and modifying an old Chevy Astro Van (if it's more than 25 years old modifications are legal in almost all states) into the ultimate sleeper; as you're probably aware, these little shoeboxes were built on a shortened commercial-van chassis, and will accept just about any crate engine in the GM catalog with few or no "hard" frame modifications. I've seen one of these with a mild-tune (~375HP) LS1/4L60-E and a 1" suspension drop (think early-2K's Camaro SS but with room for your grandkids' Little League team) and - if you're blessed with a set of watermelon-sized, weapons-grade plutonium 'nads - I heard tell a few years ago of a stock-looking 572 big-block version somewhere in PA, that the owner uses to humiliate modern musclecar owners at stoplights; with that short wheelbase and 750-800HP on tap (probably run mid-10's @ 130 at the track - if you can keep it straight ), I can just see him pulling the front wheels two feet in the air next to some unsuspecting Hellcat owner...
Old 09-26-2021, 09:59 AM
Guest 928

My daughter has an Acura MDX that is quite flashy, very comfortable, and obscenely expensive when it comes to repairs (which seem to be often required).

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic