The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 09-29-2021, 03:41 PM

Tried the Quilter; great as recommended, but too expensive for his needs.

He sampled - and seemed satisfied with - the Roland JC22. Definitely on the short list...
Old 09-29-2021, 04:01 PM

For a reasonably loud easy to carry general purpose amp I'd recommend you try a Cube EX.

Fifty watts, double 8" drivers, dual tweeters, true stereo effects, pole-mountable, two independent channels, auxiliary inputs, and can run on batteries if needed. There are amp simulations built in, but they aren't considered very usable by most guitar players. Since your son plays jazz, the true stereo chorus is the same that propelled the Roland Jazz Chorus amp to fame, so "jazz" is built into its DNA.

A lot of people busk with these and love them.
Old 09-30-2021, 01:12 AM

Default Portable amp

I just got me this a few weeks ago, and couldn’t be happier. Don’t let the size deceive you, this little guy may not be loud enough to keep up with a hard hitting drummer, but it’s perfect for busking, or small intimate gigs like at a restaurant. The tones you can get out of this little guy are incredible, and it weights maybe 12 pounds.

Pic for reference in front of my Katana 50 (1x12)
Old 10-17-2021, 06:47 PM

Thanks for all of the recommendations, especially to Stevie D, who hipped me to Quilter. Finally found one - used on craigslist. An Aviator 8 Ultralight Combo, with a removable (4 screws) head for even more portability, assuming there's a cab at the venue.

Pretty sure it's a discontinued model, but this one is in great shape and sounds just great. So far. Updates to come...

Last edited by upsidedown; 10-17-2021 at 06:55 PM.
Old 10-17-2021, 08:00 PM

Not personally familiar with the first-generation 1x8" Aviator but I played the 2x10" model about 3-4 years ago - if I didn't already have my Bugera V22 so dialed in to my style (and a final-version Fender Frontman 212R for when I need more clean headroom) I would've grabbed it on the spot - and I saw a solo acoustic performer play a fairly large outdoor show with only a first-generation Micropro 1x8" (guitar in channel 1, mic in channel 2, no PA), so I'm thinking this little tone box should be right up your alley in terms of tone/volume. FWIW a head-only version was also available, and based on your comments you might want to pick one up to keep as a spare and/or for use with a larger cab for bigger gigs...

Use it well, often, and (IME surprisingly) LOUD...
Old 10-20-2021, 04:19 PM
Charter Member

Anyone mention the Tone Master series? 23 lbs for a 1x12” deluxe reverb. May be too big though for a bus.
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 11-01-2021, 10:11 AM

Default Update

Wanted to post a short video clip of the Quilter Aviator in action; my kid playing with a funk band. Amp running through the P.A.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7rS7uJZIOE

Sounded plenty loud enough with this combo.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars