The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 07-28-2021, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRose View Post
Ohio State in the SEC?
I would expect a flock of pigs to fly by before the proud OSU vacated whatever conference they are in for the SEC.

But I also read that FSU, Clemson, OSU and Michigan were contemplating the move. Hard to believe.

Read this today which seems true:

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...ther-gets-best
B1G conference members are also research partners, sharing hundreds of millions of dollars of research grants that make football media rights payments seem small by comparison. I highly doubt that any university president would risk losing out on that for an extra $20m or so in broadcast rights revenue.

As it stands the SEC rights payments are $44m per school, slightly less than the B1G at $46m. Adding UT and OU is expected to change that payment to around $60m per school so it's not difficult to see why they did it.

It seems plausible that the ACC, PAC12, and B1G will have some reaction to this at some point, it's going to be a wild ride.
Old 07-28-2021, 10:09 PM

My KU Jayhawks look to be a doormat once again this season.

That said, I will most likely disconnect from College Football, as the conference re-alignments are destroying the purity of the game, for $$$$$$. The great rivalries are gone. The focus on big bucks is destroying the integrity of conference play. UEFA and the local fans crushed the big teams in the UK, Italy and Spain trying to form a super league. I wish college football fans - and players - would do the same.

Alas...

Goodbye Big 12. My Kansas Jayhawks will end up in the WAC, or some other far-off football conference, w/in a few years...

1978 Yamaha FG-331
2020 Recording King ROS-09-TS
2007 Alvarez RF20SM
1936 Supertone 233 "Hawaiian Belle"
1930s Harmony Mandolin

Instagram: new_york_albertan
Old 07-29-2021, 07:55 AM
Charter Member

The Oregon ducks are favored to win the PAC 12 for the third year in a row…(I know last year was dubious at best)…..we shall see…looking forward to that September 11 game at Ohio State…..should give us a good idea of where the Ducks are on a national scale….
Old 07-29-2021, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everton FC View Post
My KU Jayhawks look to be a doormat once again this season.

That said, I will most likely disconnect from College Football, as the conference re-alignments are destroying the purity of the game, for $$$$$$. The great rivalries are gone. The focus on big bucks is destroying the integrity of conference play. UEFA and the local fans crushed the big teams in the UK, Italy and Spain trying to form a super league. I wish college football fans - and players - would do the same.

Alas...

Goodbye Big 12. My Kansas Jayhawks will end up in the WAC, or some other far-off football conference, w/in a few years...
KU might have a shot at getting into one of the other conferences due to their BB program. That alone could appeal to the B1G ACC or PAC12. But all of this is about media rights payments driven mostly by FB so a weak FB program combined with being from a sparsely populated state works against them.

ISU, KSU, TTU, TCU and Baylor are going to end up as the biggest losers in this.
Old 07-29-2021, 09:42 AM
Charter Member

Default College Football 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Patrick View Post
The Oregon ducks are favored to win the PAC 12 for the third year in a row…(I know last year was dubious at best)…..we shall see…looking forward to that September 11 game at Ohio State…..should give us a good idea of where the Ducks are on a national scale….

That should be a good game to watch!
I hope it’s competitive.

Alabama and Miami play as a season opener. It’s always fun to see teams play outside their conference- usually more so for one fan base.

I’m not sure how much of a true measuring stick the very first game of the season is but it’s the best we’ve got.

Last edited by TRose; 07-29-2021 at 10:45 AM.
Old 07-29-2021, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everton FC View Post
That said, I will most likely disconnect from College Football, as the conference re-alignments are destroying the purity of the game, for $$$$$$.
Yeah, I used to be such a pro football fan and no longer am for similar reasons.
Old 07-29-2021, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Patrick View Post
Go Ducks! Go Ducks! Go Ducks!
Old 08-28-2021, 11:48 AM
Charter Member

Season starts today.
Anyone following a game today?
Old 08-28-2021, 03:21 PM

My Fighting Illini got off to a great start with a 30-22 win over Nebraska.

The program has been down so long, it would sure be great to win for a change.
Old 08-28-2021, 03:28 PM

Looking forward to the Ohio State and Notre Dame games next week!
Old 08-29-2021, 04:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDB View Post
My Fighting Illini got off to a great start with a 30-22 win over Nebraska.

The program has been down so long, it would sure be great to win for a change.
Congrats to the Illinois fans, your team looked good. The Huskers got outplayed and outcoached.

Us Husker fans had high hopes for this season, now dashed. They picked right up where they left off last year, which is not a good thing. Coach Frost needs a new QB, Martinez is killin' us. Flashes of brilliance, but terribly inconsistent. He's hard to watch.
Old 08-29-2021, 04:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenL View Post
The Huskers got outplayed and outcoached. Us Husker fans had high hopes for this season, now dashed.
Sorry, KL... I sure wasn't expecting that one. Interesting start for the season.
Old 08-29-2021, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenL View Post
Congrats to the Illinois fans, your team looked good. The Huskers got outplayed and outcoached.

Us Husker fans had high hopes for this season, now dashed. They picked right up where they left off last year, which is not a good thing. Coach Frost needs a new QB, Martinez is killin' us. Flashes of brilliance, but terribly inconsistent. He's hard to watch.
We won 41-23 last yr in Lincoln. That game and this one yesterday were very similar with the Huskers shooting themselves in the foot over and over with silly mistakes. I don't know much about the Nebby program but it's starting to look like Frost is not the answer.
Old 08-30-2021, 06:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDB View Post
We won 41-23 last yr in Lincoln. That game and this one yesterday were very similar with the Huskers shooting themselves in the foot over and over with silly mistakes. I don't know much about the Nebby program but it's starting to look like Frost is not the answer.
You're not the only one saying that, but I like Scott Frost and believe he is the right guy in the right job. If he had a better QB, it would be a different story.

Maybe he does have a better QB, right there on the bench? He needs to give one of them a chance. A. Martinez has had 4 years now to get better, and he has not.

Luke McCaffery appeared to be the guy, but he bailed, and then bailed again. I have no idea where he is now.
Old 09-02-2021, 04:18 PM

A couple of days ago I heard a story about a well known university that planned to replace its injured quarterback with a someone from their support staff. I wished I'd pay more attention but I was driving at the time. Can someone help me with the players name and the University. Thanks and Aloha.
Taylor 612ce (2001)
Taylor T5-C2 Koa (2007)
Ovation CS28P KOAB - Koa Burst (2017)
Paul Reed Smith 305 - Sunburst (2012)
Paul Reed Smith Custom 22 - Autumn Sky (2013)
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat - Sonic Blue (2012)
Roland Juno DS76 (2020)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic