The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Closed Thread

Old 10-25-2021, 09:50 AM

I just started another Bill Bryson book - The Body. I'm just starting but it's more of his great writing style applied to something we all have - bodies.

Two behavioral economics types were on my lists but those take a long time, send me on tangents, and in a lot of circles my discussing them often gets my fascination with how our brains and economies work confused with stuff we are not supposed to discuss here. Still, I recommend many of that sort of book.
Old 10-26-2021, 07:34 AM

I started Misjudged, by, James Chandler (a newbie author to me)- it's referred to as a legal thriller-
Old 10-26-2021, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imwjl View Post
I just started another Bill Bryson book - The Body. I'm just starting but it's more of his great writing style applied to something we all have - bodies.

Two behavioral economics types were on my lists but those take a long time, send me on tangents, and in a lot of circles my discussing them often gets my fascination with how our brains and economies work confused with stuff we are not supposed to discuss here. Still, I recommend many of that sort of book.
I found Bryson's The Body to be an excellent read like most everything of his that I've read. I'm currently re-reading after many years his travelogue The Lost Continent . It's interesting as well as laugh-out-loud funny at times.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 10-28-2021, 05:51 AM

A fascinating read of a part of WWI not well known.

Celtic harps: 1994 Triplett Excelle, 1998 Triplett Avalon (the first ever made - Steve Triplett's personal prototype)
Old 10-28-2021, 06:10 AM

Just started this one last night- I'm finding it quite interesting. And many "artists" were crazy- had they not been able to make it as artists, they would have been in asylums LOL. Between the drinking, the drugs, and the odd behaviors (Ben Franklin took "air baths" were he sat in his bedroom, completely naked, while working on whatever he was working on)

Note: I put "artists" in quotes, because it includes painters, writers, musicians, philosophers... any kind of creative person.

2023 Traveler Redlands Spruce Concert

"Just play today. The rest will work itself out." - Bob from Brooklyn
Old 10-28-2021, 07:04 AM
Charter Member

I'm about 3/4 done with this audiobook and enjoying it thoroughly. A true behind-the-scenes adventure detailing the creation of recordings played on pop/rock radio for decades. While not overly technical, it does explain some cool studio tricks. I enjoy learning how specific things were recorded and then reference the actual songs as I progress through the book. Bonus (for me anyhow), numerous references to the ultimate "band behind the bands," the Wrecking Crew.

Last edited by tinnitus; 12-27-2021 at 10:20 PM.
Old 10-30-2021, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruger9 View Post
Just started this one last night- I'm finding it quite interesting. And many "artists" were crazy- had they not been able to make it as artists, they would have been in asylums LOL. Between the drinking, the drugs, and the odd behaviors (Ben Franklin took "air baths" were he sat in his bedroom, completely naked, while working on whatever he was working on)

Note: I put "artists" in quotes, because it includes painters, writers, musicians, philosophers... any kind of creative person.

Creativity is what separates "artists" from the *normal* -

Anecdote:
Re: Ben Franklin; I knew a guy, years ago, who kept a race car in his home garage and worked on it naked, so his wife said, I never saw it, thank goodness he was not an artist, I assure you- if anything, he was a mere philanderer, albeit a bit quirky, but nary a bit creative. More along the lines of what society would call normal-
Old 10-30-2021, 07:41 AM

I'm reading, Stateline, by Dave Stanton, another new to me author.
It's a PI book/story and pretty entertaining.

With summer ended and Fall coming on strong, down here where I stays, my patio sitting and reading time is way down- I love sitting on my patio, with coffee and cigarettes and reading while soaking up some vitamin D.... when it's cold I can't stay out, comfortably and read.
Old 11-04-2021, 05:47 AM
Charter Member

The Ceasing of Notions, a translation of an old text. Its a conversation between a teacher and student about Reality.
Old 11-05-2021, 03:10 PM

Lonesome Dove- again, for maybe the 1200th time

I wore out my paper back copy so I got a hard back -
Old 11-05-2021, 03:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdjjr View Post
Lonesome Dove- again, for maybe the 1200th time

I wore out my paper back copy so I got a hard back -
This reminds me of my grandmother who lived to be 105 yo. I noticed she kept reading the same book over and over again, so I asked her about that. She said — “I really like this one and don’t really remember all the details by the time I’m done.”
Old 11-06-2021, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasome View Post
This reminds me of my grandmother who lived to be 105 yo. I noticed she kept reading the same book over and over again, so I asked her about that. She said — “I really like this one and don’t really remember all the details by the time I’m done.”

I re-read books when I run out of something new to read- and it seems to me that every time I do I read something I either don't remember reading in it previously- but, Lonesome Dove, is to me, special. I personally would pit it against The Grapes of Wrath for title of the great American novel- since it is, in fact, great, and a novel-
Old 11-06-2021, 08:32 AM

Finally getting around to reading one of the few Asimov novels that I missed somehow.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 11-06-2021, 07:04 PM

Just finished The Cross and the Switchblade and a older book called Modern Miracles though Prayer and Faith. Both are great books. If you are a Christian and enjoy reading I highly recommend them
Old 11-09-2021, 03:59 PM

If you're a fan of the Mr. Mercedes trilogy and the Holly Gibney character then check out If It Bleeds. Only 200 pages but worth the read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Stephen King's If It Bleeds. It contains four short stories. I'm not a big fan of the short story but one of them has Holly Gibney from the Mr Mercedes Bill Hodges trilogy. I've always liked her character so I'm looking forward to reading that one.

Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic