The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 10-07-2021, 12:27 PM
Charter Member

Default tele kits for the handy-impaired

Have any of you made your own tele?

I have guitars, but I think I need a new healthy endeavor, and given my lack of handiness, I was wondering if there are "color by number" kits that I can get wet with?

I wouldnt mind making my own artistic partscaster...
Old 10-07-2021, 02:27 PM

You'll want a bolt on neck with a loaded pickguard (electronics already soldered in). There are also kits available with solderless electronics with connector jacks on the pickups. You can also get some kits with finished bodies (lacquered).

Although this is a Canadian site it might give you some ideas of what is available in a solderless kit.

https://www.solomusicgear.com/produc...s-electronics/

It's a great project to make something your own but with many kits once you assemble it you still need to do some adjustments/setups to get everything to your liking. More than just a typical setup but that's how you learn.
Old 10-07-2021, 03:12 PM
Charter Member

I have built 2 of the Wilkinson Telecaster kits from StewMac. I have been pretty pleased with them.

A big part of it is having the tools for fretwork and setups.
As others have said, it becomes kind of addicting and quite a rabbit hole of fun.

Here is a link to the guitar I built for my son from one of the kits....https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=623334

Last edited by Bluside; 10-07-2021 at 03:18 PM.
Old 10-07-2021, 06:22 PM

I'm looking to one day do this too. Maybe a flying Vee? That burl maple kit looks very nice too.
Old 10-07-2021, 07:19 PM

Y'know, at first glance I thought it said Tele kits for the hearing-impaired...
Old 10-08-2021, 03:37 AM
Charter Member

Thanks gents.

Steve my hearing is impaired too. Too much time in front of PA systems…
Old 10-08-2021, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalFromChatham View Post
...Steve, my hearing is impaired too. Too much time in front of PA systems…
Sorry to hear (no pun intended ) - that's why I went all-acoustic shortly after Woodstock (when things started getting really crazy in the volume department ) and other than home practice and some "sweetener" low-volume studio work, didn't pick up electric for the next 15 years; got some former bandmates/friends who weren't so lucky...
Old 10-08-2021, 06:31 AM

I say go for it. I love my pine parts caster. It's pretty much the one I reach to the most. It is something special. I am working on another. I will probably write a post about it. I have built a few parts casters. I have sold all but the pine one. I have sold then one of two ways - two sold because people saw them and loved them and I got a decent price - but certainly not what I had in them. Two I parted out and sold when I reached a certain frustration level with them.

I have learned a lot building them. Sometimes they don't work out as expected - so that is one of the dangers of them. The other big danger is they don't have a lot of value when completed.
Old 10-08-2021, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
You'll want a bolt on neck with a loaded pickguard (electronics already soldered in). There are also kits available with solderless electronics with connector jacks on the pickups. You can also get some kits with finished bodies (lacquered).

Although this is a Canadian site it might give you some ideas of what is available in a solderless kit.

https://www.solomusicgear.com/produc...s-electronics/

It's a great project to make something your own but with many kits once you assemble it you still need to do some adjustments/setups to get everything to your liking. More than just a typical setup but that's how you learn.
That site has a flag in the upper right that converts to USA.
Old 10-12-2021, 07:27 PM

Saga made (or makes) a really nice tele kit that is almost ready to go. You have to shape the headstock, and paint and finish the guitar and assemble it. The tuners were crap so I changed them out. I also messed around with the pickups although the stock ones were fine. I also put a pearloid pickguard on it.
When I bought mine in 2003 it cost $115.00 I am sure they are more money now.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars