The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 08-27-2015, 08:01 PM

Default belly bulge

Oops, I first thought you were making fun of me.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 08-27-2015, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francho View Post
I de-tensioned the strings and wet the inside of the sound board reaching in through the sound hole with a soaked rag. I then placed a cribbage board which was long enough to bridge the entire sound board on a table and laid the guitar sound board down aligning the bulge at the saddle with the cribbage board and shimmed up the neck so the sound board was 90 degrees to cribbage board. I then place a weight (a 30 lb cash register from my ex wifes defunct clothing boutique) on a flat board on the back of the guitar above the bulge forcing the sound board flat. When I came back the sound board was as Steve Earle says "Straighter than a preacher". It was a hail Mary maneuver that gave perfect results. Give her a whirl. What have you got to lose?

Doesn't work all the time, but im glad it did for you.

My early 70's Yamaha 12 string had no luck after weeks being wetted and wet sponge on plastic and sound hole sealed, and 40lbs.

I removed and replaced the bridge plate and used the thompsons belly reducer and ended up with a like new guitar.

Tried the bridge dr, and hated it. will sell cheap.
Old 08-28-2015, 02:26 AM
Charter Member

Default Good one mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffeecup View Post
When reading the title of this thread I thought it was going to solve a problem that has been troubling me for some time. Unfortunately it doesn't - it relates to guitars.
Clever...clever....Love it...thanks
Old 10-09-2021, 11:19 AM

I have a 1973 Martin D35 I bought on eBay that the bridge had split, was pulling up at the back and the top had cracks on both sides because of the bridge. When removing the bridge, I realized the cracked bridge (a new addition by a previous owner) had been installed by removing much of the spruce under the original bridge.
The wood under the cracked bridge went from about 1/32" removed at the front side of the bridge to zero remaining spruce at the back of the bridge.
The bridge plate was buckling under the cracked bridge. I've bought some sitka spruce, maple for a new bridge plate and a new bridge.
I'm going to moisten the spruce under the bridge plate before installing the new plate and clamp a heated Thompson Belly Reducer to remove as much of the belly bow before gluing in the new bridge place and spruce to fill the void created by the hack who removed the original bridge.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair