The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 03-08-2024, 10:24 PM

Default "My Cat Shoots Rubber Bands From Her Paws"

It's been a week since it's initial upload to ye olde YouTube, so I reckon this is all yesterday's news by now, but my algorithm just delivered it to me today, and all I can say is...well, I really don't know what exactly to say, except to say: Is this for real?

Here we go. From the detailed caption that accompanies that first video:

Mar 1, 2024
This is truly some amazing stuff. My black cat Serena has not only learned how to shoot rubber bands, she has mastered the art. I feel like a circus hawker, but YOU WON'T SEE THIS ANYWHERE ELSE BUT HERE! How does a feline learn how to use her TWO paws and accomplish shooting a projectile?
Sometimes 3 to 5 feet...maybe more!

Serena is getting better every day. When she is not sleeping, she is shooting rubber bands. What is funny is that she is definitely in control. If I try to get her to shoot the rubber band and she doesn't want to, she will just look at me. However, when she wants to shoot, she will get the rubber band out herself and starts shooting.

Serena is a 4 year old Domestic Short Hair. She has no top incisors, so her tongue sticks out ALL THE TIME!!!! 😺

Serena has been shooting rubber bands for about 2 years off and on. We would play fetch with the rubber bands...she would bring that rubber band back to me all day long and I would throw it for as long as my arm lasted. Every now and then I would see her shoot it, but it was a rare event. In the last two weeks, she has really started to shoot and repeat...A LOT!

The rubber bands are just rubber hair ties. I call them rubber bands because number 1... they are rubber bands, and number 2... people relate to shooting rubber bands better than shooting hair ties.

Serena is an amazing, one-of-a-kind cat!

One of the more humorous exchanges from the page:

@TickityBoo70
1 day ago
She’s such a clever girl! Love the little pink tongue peeping out ❤ Can you imagine what Serena could if she had disposable thumbs! ❤

@spodule6000
23 hours ago
Or even opposable ones 😂

@TickityBoo70
14 hours ago
@spodule6000 Hahaha! That’s what I meant to text but my one brain cell malfunctioned.😂
Old 03-09-2024, 08:20 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Thot was fun in the morning!

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 03-09-2024, 09:54 AM

You can see the plan: hook a claw from first paw to hold the band then hook a claw from the other paw, pull back until the band slides off and skitters across the floor. This is better than any store bought pet toy!

I had a male cat that would fetch a pink foam rubber hair curler. My wife had a few extra. He would fetch maybe 5 times then stop. I also played hide and seek with this cat; we both enjoyed it.
Old 03-09-2024, 03:34 PM
Charter Member

That is funny, cats can be so interesting!
Old 03-10-2024, 02:21 PM

Here's some more regarding the rubber band shooting cat, Serena. A bit of an explanation of her technique from the individual who shot the first video I posted in this thread:

From the caption that accompanies the video:

You've seen videos of my cat shooting rubber bands, and now it's time for the behind-the-scenes explanation of how she does it! Watch as I break down her clever technique and show off just how smart and intelligent this black cat really is. You won't want to miss this!

WARNING: Serena is a Professional Rubber Band Shooter. Please do not try this at home! Don't give your pets rubber bands or hair ties!

Serena is a 4 year old Domestic Short Hair. She has no top incisors, so her tongue sticks out ALL THE TIME!!!! ��

Serena has been shooting rubber bands for about 2 years off and on. We would play fetch with the rubber bands...she would bring that rubber band back to me all day long and I would throw it for as long as my arm lasted. Every now and then I would see her shoot it, but it was a rare event. In the last two weeks, she has really started to shoot and repeat...A LOT!

The rubber bands are just rubber hair ties. I call them rubber bands because number 1... they are rubber bands, and number 2... people relate to shooting rubber bands better than shooting hair ties.

Serena is an amazing, one-of-a-kind cat!

Last edited by Inyo; 03-11-2024 at 06:50 PM.
Old 03-12-2024, 10:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveMusic View Post
That is funny, cats can be so interesting!
True dat. Fun critters.

The vet recommended half a Claritin daily because our calico has been sneezing a lot. I was carrying her around a couple weeks ago and noticed she smelled dusty (not terribly active in her old age). Started vacuuming her regularly, which she absolutely loves, and nary a sneeze since.

Nothing with the rubber bands so far.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5438.jpg (26.3 KB, 82 views)

Last edited by tinnitus; 03-12-2024 at 11:58 AM.
Old 03-12-2024, 11:43 AM
Charter Member

That was great!
At about 5:30 of the first video, maybe it was in slo-mo, but she really does demonstrate excellent technique from close up. The hair tie is well anchored in her claw for maximum potential energy. You can tell she's a pro.
I showed Serena's video to my cats, but no takers so far. Back to bird watching.

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 03-12-2024, 02:31 PM

I love my kitty, but her best trick is to look at me, make a noise like a Mexican bandito in a B movie, and then barf up a big hairball. And I’m not joking about the noise she makes - it really does sound like that. But at least I know that when I hear that strange sound, it’s time to grab the paper towels.
Old 03-15-2024, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinnitus View Post
True dat. Fun critters.

The vet recommended half a Claritin daily because our calico has been sneezing a lot. I was carrying her around a couple weeks ago and noticed she smelled dusty (not terribly active in her old age). Started vacuuming her regularly, which she absolutely loves, and nary a sneeze since.

Nothing with the rubber bands so far.

Super cute calico there. First cat we had was a stubby calico Manx (stub-tail) we rescued from a cactus patch. She was pure joy, indeed.

Last edited by Inyo; 03-18-2024 at 10:45 AM.
Old 03-17-2024, 01:44 PM

She is the Michael Jordan of shooting rubber bands, with her tongue out.
Old 03-18-2024, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostnote View Post
I love my kitty, but her best trick is to look at me, make a noise like a Mexican bandito in a B movie, and then barf up a big hairball. And I’m not joking about the noise she makes - it really does sound like that. But at least I know that when I hear that strange sound, it’s time to grab the paper towels.
Great story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridgepin View Post
She is the Michael Jordan of shooting rubber bands, with her tongue out.
Quite a creative comparison there. Well done, indeed.
Old 03-18-2024, 11:13 AM
Charter Member

I had a brilliant dog who threw a tennis ball when we played fetch.....she would set it down, bite the fuzz only , look directly at me and jerk her head foreward and let it go.....it was amazing

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 03-19-2024, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitfiddlemann View Post
That was great!
At about 5:30 of the first video, maybe it was in slo-mo, but she really does demonstrate excellent technique from close up. The hair tie is well anchored in her claw for maximum potential energy. You can tell she's a pro.
I showed Serena's video to my cats, but no takers so far. Back to bird watching.
She really is amazing. When I first viewed it, I thought that perhaps there was some manner of trickeration going on here, some type of camera magic purporting to showcase a cat shooting a rubber band from her paws. I was thoroughly disabused of that notion in short order, though. She's a pro at it, indeed.
Old 03-19-2024, 11:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inyo View Post
She really is amazing. When I first viewed it, I thought that perhaps there was some manner of trickeration going on here, some type of camera magic purporting to showcase a cat shooting a rubber band from her paws. I was thoroughly disabused of that notion in short order, though. She's a pro at it, indeed.
Well the suspicious thing is that, literally the day before, I saw a video of a dog shooting rubber band from his paws.

I immediately suspected an AI faked video but it looks so convincing

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic