The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-10-2017, 07:54 PM

Default Awesome forum!!!

Hi everyone. I have been reading the forum topics on here for the last month or so. I just officially registered last night, so this is my first post. What a great group of people!

I just recently picked up my guitar again after a 5 year hiatus. Life got really busy for me and I kind of just stopped playing. Since picking up my guitar again I can't wait to get home from work so I have time to play. I'm gradually working my fretting hand back into playing condition since I had no callouses left. I'm sure it won't be long and they will be just as good as ever.

I'm really enjoying reading through the posts on this forum, however it will probably be bad for my bank account. I'm kind of a gear junkie.

I would put my skill level somewhere between beginner and intermediate right now. I hope with some practice to be able to get good enough that I can play with other people. Hopefully find some others near the Appleton/Oshkosh WI that enjoy playing bluegrass, and don't mind playing with a person that is still on the beginner side of intermediate.

For now it is good to be back playing again. For the time being I'm playing my martin HD-28. That is my only acoustic guitar. I also have an electric guitar that hasn't seen the light of day since I started playing again. It's probably only a matter of time before I add another acoustic to the collection.

I'd just like to say "hello" to everyone on the forum. I'm hoping to be able to use this as a resource as I try to better myself at playing the guitar. I'm really not one to do a lot of posting on these forums, or at least I haven't been in the past. Maybe that will change with this forum. I'm looking forward to participating and hopefully meeting some new people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-10-2017, 08:00 PM
Charter Member

Welcome to AGF. There is a great bunch of people her for certain and the experts are always eager to help whenever they get a chance.

You picked one heck of a guitar to be your only acoustic I might say. Your fingers should get back into playing shape pretty quickly, depending on how much played previously. I took a few years off from playing on a regular basis myself and I was surprised that my fingers didn't need much conditioning to get back with it. But I played quite a bit prior to my hiatus.
Old 01-10-2017, 08:00 PM
Charter Member

Thumbs up good first post!

Hello and welcome.

I am also fairly new to the forum.

You have come to the right place!

Bob
Old 01-10-2017, 08:02 PM

Thumbs up

Welcome aboard, Yates! We're a friendly bunch, and many of us have learned and benefitted tremendously from the forum folk. Hanging out here can be dangerous for your gear desires, but otherwise there are very few known health effects from being a regular.

I just moved from Appleton a few months ago - am sorry to miss being your jam partner. Moved down in Milwaukee area so too far to drive (unless you are a regular at Redwood Acoustics in next-door Brookfield, WI...). Good luck finding other players in the area. I'd suggest Island Music in Neenah as a great local gathering spot of like-minded folk. Recent thread highlights some of the Appleton/Oshkosh places of note. http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=455336 Plus, local-to-you luthier Andrew Madsen just became an AGF Forum Sponsor: http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=455562 While I'm at it, here's the thread where I discovered Andrew, thanks to a fellow WI-based AGF'er: http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=341776

Welcome!
Old 01-10-2017, 08:02 PM
Charter Member

Welcome to the forum. Glad you joined the conversations.
Old 01-10-2017, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmel Cedar View Post
Welcome aboard, Yates! We're a friendly bunch, and many of us have learned and benefitted tremendously from the forum folk. Hanging out here can be dangerous for your gear desires, but otherwise there are very few known health effects from being a regular.

I just moved from Appleton a few months ago - am sorry to miss being your jam partner. Moved down in Milwaukee area so too far to drive (unless you are a regular at Redwood Acoustics in next-door Brookfield, WI...). Good luck finding other players in the area. I'd suggest Island Music in Neenah as a great local gathering spot of like-minded folk. Recent thread highlights some of the Appleton/Oshkosh places of note. http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=455336 Plus, local-to-you luthier Andrew Madsen just became an AGF Forum Sponsor: http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=455562 While I'm at it, here's the thread where I discovered Andrew, thanks to a fellow WI-based AGF'er: http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=341776

Welcome!

Hey sorry I missed you too! I'll have to check out Andrew Madsen's stuff.

Old 01-10-2017, 08:16 PM
Charter Member

Welcome aboard our GAS train

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 01-10-2017, 08:18 PM
Charter Member

Welcome, Yates... glad to have you here. Oshkosh, huh? What a aviation mecca that is!

Hope you enjoy the AGF... stick around and get to know us.
Old 01-10-2017, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
Welcome, Yates... glad to have you here. Oshkosh, huh? What a aviation mecca that is!

Hope you enjoy the AGF... stick around and get to know us.

Yes Oshkosh is quite the aviation Mecca. I actually live in Appleton and work in Oshkosh. Every year during the EAA fly in it gets sooo busy!

Old 01-10-2017, 08:29 PM
Charter Member

Welcome Yates.

Hope your bank account (and significant other) can take the strain this place will put on you!

If there is a concern....don't visit the Classified or Marketplace!
Old 01-10-2017, 08:37 PM
Charter Member

Howdy Yates fitter. Mighty fancy handle ye gut yerself there. You a plumber? (you have to imagine a voice and accent saying that)
Old 01-10-2017, 09:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yates_fitter View Post
For now it is good to be back playing again. For the time being I'm playing my martin HD-28. That is my only acoustic guitar.
Welcome to the forum Yates! Great bunch of people here. You know, you have a GREAT Martin there in the HD-28. Don't let us ruin you or make you feel insignificant because you don't own 10 guitars. Glad you're back in the saddle again playing.

Music is the best! See you around..

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 01-10-2017, 09:24 PM

Yes welcome!

If ever you are going to own one acoustic guitar, it may as well be a Martin D28.
Old 01-10-2017, 09:39 PM

Welcome to the party!

Last edited by Song; 01-15-2017 at 02:23 PM.
Old 01-10-2017, 09:40 PM

Welcome Yates!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion