The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread

Old 05-20-2017, 10:01 AM
AGF Sponsor

I typically use LMII's TRST single action rod which has proven utterly reliable and consistent re how it responds to turning the adjustment nut. I find double action systems I have used to be finicky and anti-intuitive, and since I know my materials to be properly cured, stable, and chose every piece personally, back bend mitigation (the only possible advantage of the double action rod) simply doesn't come up.

My first few implementations of Carbon reinforcement included an adjustable system as well, but it turned out to be redundant. As long as I know what string tension I'm working with, my set up system has proven adaptable enough. Occasionally I do have to pull the frets and re-dress the fingerboard to get it perfect, and this is why I charge more for the CF system. Also, my arms itch for a day or two after machining the stuff.

This guitar will have a pretty standard 1 3/4 x 2 1/4 strung set up, but CF is in no way dictating this nor limiting my neck size options. My CF bits are made by myself from some 5/32" sheet stock I picked up years ago at an LMII yard sale.
Old 05-20-2017, 10:45 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
I typically use LMII's TRST single action rod which has proven utterly reliable and consistent re how it responds to turning the adjustment nut. I find double action systems I have used to be finicky and anti-intuitive, and since I know my materials to be properly cured, stable, and chose every piece personally, back bend mitigation (the only possible advantage of the double action rod) simply doesn't come up.

My first few implementations of Carbon reinforcement included an adjustable system as well, but it turned out to be redundant. As long as I know what string tension I'm working with, my set up system has proven adaptable enough. Occasionally I do have to pull the frets and re-dress the fingerboard to get it perfect, and this is why I charge more for the CF system. Also, my arms itch for a day or two after machining the stuff.

This guitar will have a pretty standard 1 3/4 x 2 1/4 strung set up, but CF is in no way dictating this nor limiting my neck size options. My CF bits are made by myself from some 5/32" sheet stock I picked up years ago at an LMII yard sale.
All I know is I took your advice and installed the Lmii double truss in my latest one you saw, MAJOR difference between it and the hotrod, the Lmii is a WAY better rod. Thanks for the advice President Sexauer, you're not in charge for nothin'

edit; I am starting to lean t words the one way rod myself, after REALLY thinking about it, the statistical chances of a neck bending the opposite way of string tension is probably quite rare and most likely a result of extremely bad stewardship. The advantages of weight reduction, being able to have more neck meat under the truss channel, thus being able to carve slimmer necks if desired, and probably less chance of developing a rattle, all are starting to override the "what if some idiot goes guitar playing in a thunderstorm" line of thinking

Last edited by jessupe; 05-20-2017 at 10:54 AM.
Old 05-22-2017, 01:41 PM
AGF Sponsor

Mike's D is down to the logo, heel cap, and some more sanding. I expect to put it into finish today or tomorrow morning. It seems a bit heavier than the last few guitars I've made, so I weighed it. Sans tuners, bridge, strings, and finish it's 3 1/4 pounds, which probably isn't heavy at all for a Brazilian guitar. My perception is a bit skewed, I suppose.

Old 05-22-2017, 03:06 PM
Charter Member

Your BRW single 0-12 (including east coast humidity!)...

Last edited by iim7V7IM7; 05-22-2017 at 03:14 PM.
Old 05-22-2017, 09:00 PM

Default light

Both are lighter than mine (3.5lb), and it's smaller, an LOO. On the other hand, my next lightest guitar is a full pound heavier and it's similar sized, though it does use heavier materials (Macassar Ebony). Funny, if I disregard the National, all the rest of mine are in the 4.5-4.8lb range, except Bruce's - he might say it was exceptional, only I got to say it first.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 05-23-2017, 10:17 PM

Bruce thanks for being such a clean thinker and good teacher! I did a birds beak in my second and third guitars using the martin style and they worked fine and all but your more straightforward design IS AWESOME! I just busted one out today on a new build and it worked so much better than the more-angles martin style.

Thank you so much.

Sam

Quote:
Here are five images of the Uke's Bird's Beak (Bridal) joint attaching the head to the neck. These are shot yesterday, after I carved the joinery, but before I glued it together.

At the moment I am clamping on the headstock verniers, and soon I will have pictures of that progress.
Old 05-24-2017, 11:05 AM
AGF Sponsor

Thanks for the considered comments, Sam.

A couple of weeks ago, Sam sent me some Engelmann violin wedges he cut in his native region of Oregon. It will be a while till I can use it because it is not yet acclimated to my shop, but I did mess with it enough to be able to say it is really beautifully even grained and stiff enough to have every chance of being truly great material. He claims to have no commercial intentions but if this is any indicator of his skill and resources, we should hope he will change his mind.

In other news; I have put the first coat of varnish onto the all "Tree" Uke and it does not disappoint:

Old 05-24-2017, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the considered comments, Sam.

A couple of weeks ago, Sam sent me some Engelmann violin wedges he cut in his native region of Oregon. It will be a while till I can use it because it is not yet acclimated to my shop, but I did mess with it enough to be able to say it is really beautifully even grained and stiff enough to have every chance of being truly great material. He claims to have no commercial intentions but if this is any indicator of his skill and resources, we should hope he will change his mind.

In other news; I have put the first coat of varnish onto the all "Tree" Uke and it does not disappoint:

Super cool!
Old 05-24-2017, 11:30 AM
AGF Sponsor

I have also put the first coat of Varnish on Mike's Dread:

I am having trouble illustrating the depth of curl in the Maple. It is really good stuff IMO, yet the camera just wants to look at the Brazilian.
Old 05-24-2017, 01:56 PM
Music soothes the soul!

Both are beautiful. Don't blame the camera. That BRW is something to look at. Wow! And that "Tree" uke is no slouch either. Very nice Bruce!
Old 05-24-2017, 02:57 PM
Charter Member

Some pretty astoundingly beautiful work coming off your bench this week (kudos)...
Old 05-24-2017, 07:52 PM
AGF Sponsor

Now that the other two projects are in the finishing process, I have some time to complete the Pernambuco 000. I spent several hours today hand sanding the well cured varnish with 2000 grit and then buffed out the body:

Tomorrow I will get to the neck, most likely, and then assemble the two together.
Old 05-25-2017, 09:15 AM
Charter Member

Those may be about the penultimate trio - a perfect combination of outstanding materials and craftsmanship, and I'm sure they'll sound and play at the same level. A incredible braz dread, pernambuco 000, and a Tree uke? Yeah, that'd pretty much do it - although I might throw that pear 0 into the mix, since I'd be down at those crossroads trading in my soul -
Old 05-25-2017, 04:37 PM
Charter Member

Bruce,
That Pernambuco 000 looks really special. I hope someday to try your guitars.

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi
Old 05-28-2017, 09:08 AM
Charter Member

Had a chance to see all three of these in person yesterday, and as hard as it may be to believe, they actually look even better in person - Hope I'm nearby when its time to string them up -

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop