The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 03-10-2021, 12:07 PM

I also notice that the semi-hollow Electromatics use the BroadTron rather than the FilterTron pickups, and now I'm wondering how much of the tonal difference I hear in web samples is due to that rather than the center block.
Martin D12X1AE
LaPatrie CW Concert
Old 03-10-2021, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightchef View Post

I think I was leaning toward the full hollowbody because my sense is that there's an extra layer of 3D complexity and character there, but that's based solely on hearsay and internet videos. Basically, I don't want to compromise on tone if I can help it. The videos I'm seeing of (for instance) the 5622 make it seem like a Gretsch hollowbody and an ES-335 had a baby. Which would be a beautiful baby, I'm just not sure if it's the baby I'm looking for. But you've complicated the equation helpfully. Thanks!
there is something there.

the only thing to look out for is feedback if you need to push some volume, but the stock pickups in the MIK electromagnetics are pretty resilient, so it's actually not bad at all.

that said, I also think those pickups have a little less output than some of the humbuckers in my gibbies.. worth it tho.. they don't sound anything like a "gibson"
Old 03-10-2021, 03:12 PM

I just wish the title of this thread was

Whitsch Gretsch?
Old 03-10-2021, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightchef View Post
I also notice that the semi-hollow Electromatics use the BroadTron rather than the FilterTron pickups, and now I'm wondering how much of the tonal difference I hear in web samples is due to that rather than the center block.
The current E-Matic 5600-Series semi-hollows began using the Broad'tron - a full-size humbucker used in the first Korean hollowbodies and presently fitted (in its original early-2K's livery) to the 2000-Series Streamliner hollows/semis as well - around Summer NAMM 2019, fitting it with a Filter'tron-style cover/ring on the now-MIC 5600's. FWIW long-time Gretsch players have always considered them tonally inferior to the Brooklyn-derived designs (PAF/patent-number/Baldwin-blacktop/Kustom-blacktop Filter'tron, Super'tron I/II, Hi-lo'Tron, and the MIK 5600-exclusive Super Hi-lo'Tron [based on a modified Baldwin Filter'tron with a single set of adjustable polepieces], as well as the various TV Jones derivatives); to my ears they sound much like an underwound '80s DiMarzio Super II: more upper-mids/treble than a Gibson-style humbucker, but lacking the chime and focus of the true-Gretsch designs as well as the power of the DiMarzio - truly a worst-of-both-worlds situation in my book, and it's small wonder that the still-MIK 5400's are outselling them...

That said, if you're seriously interested in a MIK E-Matic 5600 there are three options:
  • As mentioned above, the first-run 5620 (2-PU single-cut) and 5622 (3-PU double-cut) cats'-eye semis can be had used at fairly-reasonable prices as of this writing; be advised, however, that prices have steadily increased since the switch to Broad-trons and Chinese manufacture - I'm beginning to see excellent and near-mint examples in the $1K+ range with some regularity, so you might want to get your funds together and make the move now - and unless you're extremely persistent you're not likely to find NOS at this point...
  • The final MIK 5622's reverted to a traditional 2-PU/f-hole design, using the same Super Hi-lo's as the first series, and many players consider them to be superior both ergonomically (I'm used to playing three-PU guitars so I have no issues navigating the center pickup) and aesthetically (they bear a strong resemblance to the 1962-67 Chet Atkins Nashville). Several of the big-box dealers - MF and GC in particular - have been selling off some of the very last Georgia Green (a light metallic green that's a match for that '65 Chevy Impala SS sitting in your Uncle Fred's garage) versions, and this would be your last chance to get a brand-new-with-warranty 5622 through normal channels; please note that the Chinese 5622 is also available in their version of Georgia Green - the Korean instruments' color is richer-looking (more "Brooklyn" in character), the pickguard/rings are a cream-colored plastic (the MIC uses silver), and they're equipped with the desirable Super Hi-lo's...
  • Although they're a bit scarce on the used market (for obvious reasons) the Korean 5622 was available in a milky, Brooklyn-style orange as seen on the Chet Atkins Nashville (and very different from the vivid orange used on the 5420/5422); with some aftermarket hardware - gold knobs/tuners/pickup rings, a "Nashville" pickguard - you could fool most of your fellow musicians at your next gig (ask Mr. Corrigan how many players mistake his 5420 for a White Falcon ), and the honest-to-Chet Filter'tron tone is all there,,,
Another reason I'd cash in on a MIK 5400/5600 now is that there's a $1K gap between the top E-Matics and the entry-level MIJ Professional Series electrics - a gap that Guild and Eastman hollows/semis presently fill unchallenged, and one that Gretsch can ill afford to ignore. I suspect we'll be seeing the 5400's move to Chinese production (and the dreaded Broad'tron pickups ) fairly soon, while maintaining their market position as sub-$1K step-up/intermediate-player instruments; similarly, it's well-known that MIK Gretsch quality exceeds anything else in its price class (not to mention some more-expensive brands), and economics being what they are they'd have no problem asking (and getting) street prices in the $1200-1800 range - the heart of the semi-pro/weekend-warrior bracket. While this is pure speculation on my part, as a "heritage" maker Gretsch doesn't really have the flexibility to experiment with more innovative designs (a la Schecter/ESP/Ibanez); just as Epiphone became Gibson's de facto skunkworks in the '60s, a new 5700/5900 Electromatic series would allow Daniel and Garrett Gretsch to spread their (Falcon) wings, producing high-quality instruments for "outside-the-box" players while leaving the "vintage-reissue" Professional Series and "budget-legacy" 5400/5600 E-Matics intact and without internal competition...
Old 03-11-2021, 06:27 PM

I can third up on the Cat’s Eyes 5620. It was first step into the world of modern Gretsch and I love it. I have continued down the path with a RatRod 5410. Think a 5420 but a little thinner, pinned bridge and an awesome matte paint scheme. If you like the rockabilly look on Gretsch, thats your girl.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0B078E7F-7665-4834-8A90-C73388DE7B65.jpg (23.9 KB, 115 views)
Old 03-11-2021, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmcr View Post
I just wish the title of this thread was

Whitsch Gretsch?
Tough tschoice - one that could leave you with serious regretsch...
Old 03-15-2021, 07:41 AM

I have been having a major GAS’ing issue involving a 5420T. Just haven’t pulled the trigger yet. Can anyone give my any reason(s) why I shouldn’t. I’m all ears.

P. S. I already have an Epiphone Wildkat if that plays into anything.
Old 03-15-2021, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stGuitar View Post
I have been having a major GAS’ing issue involving a 5420T. Just haven’t pulled the trigger yet. Can anyone give my any reason(s) why I shouldn’t. I’m all ears.

P. S. I already have an Epiphone Wildkat if that plays into anything.
The Epi Wildkat is essentially a twin-separated-at-birth to the Gretsch 5655 - but for the PU's they could have been made in the same factory...

If you're a serious electric player you need a Gretsch in your stable, and the 5420 is about the best way I can think of if you're looking for a bang-for-the-buck full-hollow; BTW I'd also check out some of the double-cut 5t422's - for around $1K they have versions that hearken back to the mid-60's White Falcon, Viking, and Country Gent, and I've seen a couple of local Beatles-tribute bands using the latter as their "George" guitar (run it through a Vox AC30 and you'd be hard-pressed to tell the difference)...
Old 03-15-2021, 09:59 AM
Charter Member

So a quick clarification for those of out of the loop
All the 5400 and 5600 series are still made in Korea ?

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 03-15-2021, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
The Epi Wildkat is essentially a twin-separated-at-birth to the Gretsch 5655 - but for the PU's they could have been made in the same factory...

If you're a serious electric player you need a Gretsch in your stable, and the 5420 is about the best way I can think of if you're looking for a bang-for-the-buck full-hollow; BTW I'd also check out some of the double-cut 5t422's - for around $1K they have versions that hearken back to the mid-60's White Falcon, Viking, and Country Gent, and I've seen a couple of local Beatles-tribute bands using the latter as their "George" guitar (run it through a Vox AC30 and you'd be hard-pressed to tell the difference)...
Very good advice. Thanks for the reply. Much appreciated. “Bang for the buck” the 5420t does seem pretty solid. But will have look into that 5422t.
My favorite amp to date is the Fender Blues Junior. The Vox AC in my humble opinion, just sounded slightly more muffled. But of course still a nice sound coming out of them. But I certainly will give the fox AC 15 or 30 a whirl.
Old 03-15-2021, 11:07 AM

Quote:
My favorite amp to date is the Fender Blues Junior. The Vox AC in my humble opinion, just sounded slightly more muffled. But of course still a nice sound coming out of them. But I certainly will give the fox AC 15 or 30 a whirl.
Check out the Bugera V22 Infinium as well.

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 03-15-2021, 11:17 AM

---duplicate---

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 03-15-2021, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
So a quick clarification for those of out of the loop. All the 5400 and 5600 series are still made in Korea?
TMK the 5400 E-Matics are still made in Korea, but 5600's switched to Chinese production (and the tonally-inferior Broad'tron pickups also used on the Indonesian 2000-Series Streamliners) around Summer NAMM 2019 - as I stated above there are still a few MIK 2-PU 5622's in the pipeline (mostly through GC/MF and all in '65 Chevy Georgia Green, which may or may not be to your liking), but once those are gone it's all MIC for the 5600's. If you're just getting on the Gretsch bandwagon I strongly recommend the MIK E-Matics: QC/playability is head-shoulders-&-navel above anything else in its price class (in all fairness the Godin CW II comes very close, and for players who like a wider neck and/or the drive of twin P-90's in a lightweight package it might be a better choice), you're not going to get "that" tone from any other guitar, and at under $1K you're giving away very little to the flagship Professional Series at 3-4 times the price (not to mention the Brooklyn originals, whose quality was notoriously spotty even in their heyday); if you want something a little outside-the-box the 3-PU cats'-eye 5622's are still available used in the $600-800 range depending on condition (FYI that appears to be changing, and I've seen them and their single-cut 2-PU 5620 stablemates selling in the $1000-1200 range) - I've been using mine as my main gigging guitar for the last five years, and if tonal versatility is job #1 IME you won't find anything better regardless of price...

Quote:
...My favorite amp to date is the Fender Blues Junior. The Vox AC in my humble opinion, just sounded slightly more muffled. But of course still a nice sound coming out of them. But I certainly will give the Vox AC15 or 30 a whirl.
Not surprised - certain vintages of the Epi P-90 can be kinda dark-sounding (had a former bandbud who owned one of those 3-PU Rivieras - neck and middle pickups were total mud) - but IME the Vox AC10/15/30 are a natural match for the MIK E-Matics, and if you're an early Beatles fan (as I am) a 5422 through an AC will have you channeling every pre-Rubber Soul George Harrison lick you've ever heard...
Old 03-16-2021, 08:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
TMK the 5400 E-Matics are still made in Korea, but 5600's switched to Chinese production (and the tonally-inferior Broad'tron pickups also used on the Indonesian 2000-Series Streamliners) around Summer NAMM 2019 - as I stated above there are still a few MIK 2-PU 5622's in the pipeline (mostly through GC/MF and all in '65 Chevy Georgia Green, which may or may not be to your liking), but once those are gone it's all MIC for the 5600's. If you're just getting on the Gretsch bandwagon I strongly recommend the MIK E-Matics: QC/playability is head-shoulders-&-navel above anything else in its price class (in all fairness the Godin CW II comes very close, and for players who like a wider neck and/or the drive of twin P-90's in a lightweight package it might be a better choice), you're not going to get "that" tone from any other guitar, and at under $1K you're giving away very little to the flagship Professional Series at 3-4 times the price (not to mention the Brooklyn originals, whose quality was notoriously spotty even in their heyday); if you want something a little outside-the-box the 3-PU cats'-eye 5622's are still available used in the $600-800 range depending on condition (FYI that appears to be changing, and I've seen them and their single-cut 2-PU 5620 stablemates selling in the $1000-1200 range) - I've been using mine as my main gigging guitar for the last five years, and if tonal versatility is job #1 IME you won't find anything better regardless of price...

Thanks agin Steve

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 03-17-2021, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phcorrigan View Post
I have a G5420TG and I'm very happy with it. The Korean-built Gretsch guitars are very well made, and the fit and finish is excellent. If you buy used, I'd suggest a 2016 or later model.

BTW, I have had no issues with staying in tune.

Here's mine, with a Chet Atkins vibrato bar and D'Addario chrome flat wound strings:

The Chet Atkins bar is a definite improvement over the standard Bigsby arm. I have put them on several Bigsby equipt guitars

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars